Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question of removing trees  (Read 617 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
A question of removing trees
« on: May 23, 2011, 03:47:32 pm »

Just a quick question.

If I removed all trees from the game, would there be no forests, grasslands, etc.? Or would there still be "Forest" biomes, but no trees in them?

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: A question of removing trees
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »

Sounds like a need for !!SCIENCE!!

My guess: There would still be forest biomes but yeah with nothing to use in them.

I however fully expect I might be way wrong and it'll never make it out of world gen successfully.

If I were trying to do this I'd probably (rather than move/delete whole files) set all trees to frequency 0.

Of course I have no idea what your plan is... so... what's the plan Dr Necro910?
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »

Sounds like a need for !!SCIENCE!!

My guess: There would still be forest biomes but yeah with nothing to use in them.

I however fully expect I might be way wrong and it'll never make it out of world gen successfully.

If I were trying to do this I'd probably (rather than move/delete whole files) set all trees to frequency 0.

Of course I have no idea what your plan is... so... what's the plan Dr Necro910?
Dorf Space. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:27:23 pm »

Actually, I believe I've done this !!Science!! by accident already.  I was experimenting with modding and was using my plants RAW as a randomly-chosen file to hold text that I was performing find/replace operations on, and wound up accidentally saving, obliterating all plants.  Forgetting about this later, I genned a world to test something else, embarked and found no trees in the forests, and dorfs that had never known the taste of alcohol because no brewable plants existed.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:40:04 pm »

Actually, I believe I've done this !!Science!! by accident already.  I was experimenting with modding and was using my plants RAW as a randomly-chosen file to hold text that I was performing find/replace operations on, and wound up accidentally saving, obliterating all plants.  Forgetting about this later, I genned a world to test something else, embarked and found no trees in the forests, and dorfs that had never known the taste of alcohol because no brewable plants existed.
So there are "Forests", but they have no trees? lolz.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:54 pm »

I think the "forests" will have no trees but whatever forest creatures will be here.

Forests are defined by medium-low elevation, high drainage and high rainfall. The trees aren't a necessity.

Though removing the trees will probably crash your game...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:53:51 pm »

I think the "forests" will have no trees but whatever forest creatures will be here.

Forests are defined by medium-low elevation, high drainage and high rainfall. The trees aren't a necessity.

Though removing the trees will probably crash your game...
Nice. This works out perfectly.