Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: No Scottish Accents  (Read 7120 times)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Scottish Accents
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2011, 03:13:40 pm »

Actually I'd rather be there because the country was neutral, but if I could get my hands on some gold I would not object ;)
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2011, 05:26:28 pm »

Actually I'd rather be there because the country was neutral, but if I could get my hands on some gold I would not object ;)

Give the provenance of some of that gold, I really wouldn't be too eager, if I was you.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »

Being most familiar with the South Yorkshire coalfields (of times past, THAAAAATTTTCCCHHHHHHHEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!!!) one of the (many[1]) places where people regularly used to go underground and dig tunnels, I suppose I tend to put a Barnsley accent on them, personally.

[1] Durham, South Wales, the area around Coalbrookdale (surprisingly!) are others in the UK, with Pittsburgh entering my consciousness as the most obvious Left Pondian example, and beyond coal there's the like of the eponymouslt known Kimberley deposits in ZA, and I suspect Chile (as a whole, because, to be honest, I have very little subregional knowledge of that country) has been very recently associated with miners, also, but I bet any attempt to try a Chilean accent would be as close to Mexican as anywhere else... :)
All my dwarves are from barnsley too!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »

Give the provenance of some of that gold, I really wouldn't be too eager, if I was you.

Well, it's not like I'm able to help the orginal owners - they're dead. And the other owners I'd happily steal from, but they are also dead or in hiding. So in this hypothetical situation it's me or the swiss banks and I'd prefer me then...

Hm, gives me a thought: Dwarven Bankers? We're kinda passionate about gold already. And the accent and everyone having a assault rifle silver warhammer below the pillow could also be dwarfy.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

Well, it's not like I'm able to help the orginal owners - they're dead. And the other owners I'd happily steal from, but they are also dead or in hiding. So in this hypothetical situation it's me or the swiss banks and I'd prefer me then...

Hm, gives me a thought: Dwarven Bankers? We're kinda passionate about gold already. And the accent and everyone having a assault rifle silver warhammer below the pillow could also be dwarfy.

Scotish Accents -> The Implied Acceptance of Murdered Jews' Teeth Fillings -> Dwarven Bankers -> Dwarven Bankers Who Are Apparently Mobsters.

Oh Bay 12. Never change.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Dent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2011, 11:47:11 pm »

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that Southern California Accents create a good baseline for "neutral"
[/size]

Depends. Valley Girl is no joke and it's surprising how many people actually speak that way, but otherwise people don't have an accent. More accurately, they have a neutral way of speaking that's more of a void than an accent on its own. Unless they're dirty foreigners.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2011, 11:54:46 pm »

I thought the general non-accent accent was Iowa?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2011, 12:38:50 am »

The non-accent accent is RP. Everyone has an accent, it's just that you get used to one or another. I don't think that New Zealanders have an accent, but when I compare them to Americans, they have one, but so do the Americans.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2011, 01:19:59 am »

We all have, in our own heads, a "baseline" accent- not just what you grew up hearing from locals, but a mixture of radio, TV, movies and other things. Plenty of people, reading, prefer the cultured tones of, say, Patrick Stewart, as opposed to whatever nasal twang they're surrounded with normally.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]