Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: No Scottish Accents  (Read 7131 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: No Scottish Accents
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »

Really, it's hard to think of a negative portrayal of Canadians in ANY fiction.
What? South Park.

South Park, while it can be nasty, always seems to being doing it with affection, the younger sibling teasing the elder. (As a permanent settlement, and not a commercial post, Quebec city dates as far back to Cartier in 1541).

Plus, South Park is designed to be offensive to everyone.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2011, 05:11:50 pm »

Which is a good thing!
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 04:07:49 pm »

Speaking as a Scot I don't mind you fellows imagining your dwarves with Scottish accents - practically everyone does it, largely for reasons explained earlier in this thread. I would prefer it if someone made a half-arsed attempt at some sort of Scandinavian accent as opposed to a half-arsed Scottish one though. Dwarves aren't Scottish and never have been. We've had fairies and trows and such, but never a dwarf. It doesn't make any sense. Fuck Gimli and World of Warcraft.

Honestly, it's as if people think knocking off a few word endings makes up a Scottish accent. It sounds absolutely dreadful, especially if you try to read it out-loud. I did like Scottranslate though, it was quite amusing; sookin' boaby and such.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011, 04:15:56 pm »

Honestly, it's as if people think knocking off a few word endings makes up a Scottish accent. It sounds absolutely dreadful, especially if you try to read it out-loud. I did like Scottranslate though, it was quite amusing; sookin' boaby and such.

Well, I guess around 100% of humanity has problems with that, because as long as there are 2 different accents on the planet someone will make jokes.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:30 pm »

Well, I guess around 100% of humanity has problems with that, because as long as there are 2 different accents on the planet someone will make jokes.

People from Venus, they all be talking like [derp derp derp]. But people from Earth, thay all be talking likes [derp derp derp].

Ha ha, oh those Earth people.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 08:11:02 pm »

Solarians...  You're all the same.  Well, at least those of you who sit on the planets.

Mind you, over here in the Centauris, us Alpha "A"s have absolutely nothing in common with those Alpha "B"s, despite living in such similar photospheric conditions.  To be honest, I'd rather go nuclide-bowling with a Proximan, and you know how they are, with their magnesium tendencies...

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:40 pm »

Solarians...  You're all the same.  Well, at least those of you who sit on the planets.

Mind you, over here in the Centauris, us Alpha "A"s have absolutely nothing in common with those Alpha "B"s, despite living in such similar photospheric conditions.  To be honest, I'd rather go nuclide-bowling with a Proximan, and you know how they are, with their magnesium tendencies...

Oh, dude, I'm not racist or anything, but I once dated a Proximan XYYX-pairing, and it is TOTALLY true what they say about them and pleasure gland stimulation.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Rocky

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels mod game: Interupted by failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2011, 06:59:45 pm »

Dwarves had their origin in Scandinavia so it's always baffled me that most people choose to RP them with a a scottish accent.

I agree.

I blame Tolkien.

I don't agree.

In The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings they all had names like Thorin, Balin, Kili, Bifur, etc.-- names that sounded more Norse than anything else.
I always imagine them speaking with Scandinavian-ish accents.

I blame world of warcraft (then again, they probably didn't start it either, but whatever).
♪ I needed gold 'cause I-- had none!
♪ I struck the earth and the-- earth won!

Dent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2011, 09:22:10 pm »

Definitely norse. Tolkien lifted a ton of Dwarf names and used them in his dwarves and other characters, one example being Gandalf is the name of a dwarf in the Prose Edda.

I view the dwarves as having southern Californian accents, IE, they sound neutral with a touch more hysteria under the surface. Elves speak like the elves in the Overlord games, a parody of the nature-loving hippies they're sometimes quite seriously portrayed to be. But they're also cannibals, so I make it a touch darker.
My woodcutters are Northern Californians, that mysterious land that we tend to view as teeming with savages and bears and log cabins. They sound more or less like we do down here, but I throw in a generous helping of gruff, grizzled hillbilly. 

Humans are Canadians, definitely. Lots of tramping around in the wilds, riding moosi/mooses/meese, wearing lumberjack clothes and standing around going "Eh?"

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2011, 10:29:34 pm »

I've got dwarves with scottish accents from "Battle for Wesnoth", which is a free strategy game in some ways comparable to ours. Who didn't play that game already should give it a punt.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:35 am »

Definitely norse. Tolkien lifted a ton of Dwarf names and used them in his dwarves and other characters, one example being Gandalf is the name of a dwarf in the Prose Edda.

I view the dwarves as having southern Californian accents, IE, they sound neutral with a touch more hysteria under the surface. Elves speak like the elves in the Overlord games, a parody of the nature-loving hippies they're sometimes quite seriously portrayed to be. But they're also cannibals, so I make it a touch darker.
My woodcutters are Northern Californians, that mysterious land that we tend to view as teeming with savages and bears and log cabins. They sound more or less like we do down here, but I throw in a generous helping of gruff, grizzled hillbilly. 

Humans are Canadians, definitely. Lots of tramping around in the wilds, riding moosi/mooses/meese, wearing lumberjack clothes and standing around going "Eh?"

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that Southern California Accents create a good baseline for "neutral"

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:30 am »

I've got dwarves with scottish accents from "Battle for Wesnoth", which is a free strategy game in some ways comparable to ours. Who didn't play that game already should give it a punt.

The only dwarven campaign I played was Hammer of Thursagan, and I don't remember much accent there (only the interminably boring last mission). Did the other one have more, or are you talking about custom campaigns?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2011, 07:40:18 am »

Really, it's hard to think of a negative portrayal of Canadians in ANY fiction.
What? South Park.
Dude, South Park portrays Canada as a much nicer place than South Park it self. There's only one nasty person in Canada there and he's just a bit grumpy.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2011, 10:35:32 am »

The only dwarven campaign I played was Hammer of Thursagan, and I don't remember much accent there (only the interminably boring last mission). Did the other one have more, or are you talking about custom campaigns?
I dunno if it was this, the other, a custom, dwarves in non-dwarf campaigns, whatever. I just remember a lot of "scottish" :D BTW: There's a good, 20 scenario usermade dwarf campaign addon out by now. I enjoyed it.
Dude, South Park portrays Canada as a much nicer place than South Park it self. There's only one nasty person in Canada there and he's just a bit grumpy.

Well, if you portray the ww2 western front as nicer then the ww2 eastern front it's true, but you'd still rather be in switzerland ;)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2011, 11:39:32 am »

Well, if you portray the ww2 western front as nicer then the ww2 eastern front it's true, but you'd still rather be in switzerland ;)

....Helping the Nazis.... keep their gold?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6