Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Defeating the Goblins  (Read 1207 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Defeating the Goblins
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »

Is it possible to wipe out besieging goblins, for example, or do siege invaders spawn ex nihlio?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:25:36 pm by Cespinarve »
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defeating the Goblins
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 03:09:36 pm »

Sadly what you see is what you get. Theres a limited number of goblins per siege and therefore a limited number of prisoners to torture.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 03:21:19 pm »

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the majority of the goblins are created out of nothing when the siege occurs.  Siege leaders are drawn from world populations, and sieges will get weaker and less frequent if you kill the leaders, but the troops are unlimited.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the majority of the goblins are created out of nothing when the siege occurs.  Siege leaders are drawn from world populations, and sieges will get weaker and less frequent if you kill the leaders, but the troops are unlimited.

Bugger. I wanted to just outright win. Break them so hard they crumbled into dust.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:53:50 pm »

Bugger. I wanted to just outright win. Break them so hard they crumbled into dust.
This is Dwarf Fortress.  There is no winning, just ever increasing numbers of losing conditions.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:07:35 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress.  There is no winning, just ever increasing numbers of losing conditions.

That entirely depends upon the criteria you set for "winning".

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:44 pm »

I'll tell you what my criteria for winning isn't. Fun.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:26 pm »

I can't tell if that's "Fun" in the sense of losing in general, "Fun" in the sense of HFS or "fun", capitalized only because it was the first word in the sentence fragment, in which case you seem to be saying that you believe any enjoyment had while playing DF to be a form of failure.

Curious.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:53 pm »

Your playing dwarf fortress wrong then.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 02:11:46 am »

Not losing =\= winning.

Not even if you've got Tigerman Blood and an army of Ninja Walrus Popes.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 02:31:41 am »

I can't tell if that's "Fun" in the sense of losing in general, "Fun" in the sense of HFS or "fun", capitalized only because it was the first word in the sentence fragment, in which case you seem to be saying that you believe any enjoyment had while playing DF to be a form of failure.

Curious.

Its an odd little effect of the Df terminology isnt it?  Interesting however that all three types of 'Fun' you described are in fact...fun!  (Thats dictionary 'fun' for those not following)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:14:31 am »

If the goblins all died everyone would be happy and at peace, all strife would end, and newborn kittens would rain from skies. (To fall on top of fluffy wamblers)

But no on would be having any fun :(

Or the goblins don't die, you keep finding new and entertaining methods to kill them, and we all have Fun. Have you made a field of goblinpults yet?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 09:42:56 am »

Your playing dwarf fortress wrong then.
*you're
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.