Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cursed Armor?  (Read 1624 times)

Suihanki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cursed Armor?
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:18:30 pm »

Hey Everyone, I need some help with a weird problem.

Whenever I examine the equipment of two of my military dwarves (one solider, one marksdwarf, separate squads) using v > i, the game crashes. I'm just using the latest Lazy Noob setup, no other mods, ironhand graphics.

I can see most of what they are wearing upon the crash, but there is more to see if I could scroll down, which I can't. What I can see doesn't look weird. All I've done is made a full suit of copper for all my militia, leather with some copper for the marksdwarfs. I have only one artifact weapon, a yak bone mace that no one is using... So as far as I can tell everyone is using normal stuff.

How can I solve this? Are my only options to atomsmash the cursed dwarfs or to never look at them? I'm afraid to take them out of the military as the offending equipment might spread...
Think of it as Jenga: Mines of Moria edition, and you're not too far off.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed Armor?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:32:48 pm »

That sounds like a genuine bug and should be reported on the bug tracker.  Be sure to upload a save somewhere for Toady to look at too --  the dwarf fortress file depot would work.  Posting on the tracker might help find out if there's any bugs related to yours not to mention potential workarounds.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:34:03 pm »

Try turning off Truetype font mode.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Suihanki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:47:10 pm »

Ok. I'll try turning truetype off and see if I can look at 'em, then upload the save once I get home from work.

Thanks guys. I have the same problem with forgotten beast blood sometimes, but I'm pretty sure that's a well-known bug by now?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »

Yep, it's a truetype font bug. It happened to me when a named beast gets killed and you have some ridiculous text string (A spattering of Erdin Summerweather the longbowed leggings of slaughtering's ettin blood, or the like) that's attached to the armor, or the ground, etc.

DFcleanmap from DFhack will remove the splatters and make it loo(k) safe again.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:06:45 pm »

Have had similar problems. Disabling truetype didn't help tho.

Suihanki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:00:27 am »

Disabling TT fixed it up just fine. It does appear that there was some blood in their... boots? DFclean didn't get it out of them. Poor little buggers, walking around with Forgotten Beast blood sloshing about in their boots...