Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 110

Author Topic: Order Of The Kai RTD-Turn 57 Rapid Developments  (Read 85711 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Kai RTD-Chapter one, Turn 14-The Doorman
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2011, 09:41:54 am »

Turn 14
Time:Midnight
Place:In the Keening Willow Cemetary

(Kai Stealth Roll=?)
(Mending Moon Int roll=4, pass)
(6th Sense roll ? VS Fate roll=?)

The Kai warriors decided to split up-Sheltering Leaves and Silent Fox would greet the acolytes, while Mending Moon and War Wind would hide nearby-in case of treachery. War Wind points to the ground and instructs any wayward undead to stay put. One of them reluctantly rolls over in his grave and goes back to sleep, rather than leaping out and attacking the party. Lucky!

The Draconian and the Goblin sneak away and carefully take cover behind a large, unadorned headstone of strange black rock-it's overgrown with shrubbery and obvious neglect-they are afforded a good view, but likely remain undiscovered. Mending Moon happens to look at the name on the head stone...

Jenna Anders (675-711)
May her damned soul never again rise to trouble the living, or the dead

Mending moon notices underneath the foilage there is the same sort of black rock encircling the grave in an unbroken pentagram shape.
-------------------
Sheltering Leaves and Silent Fox walk up the center building, wary of ambush...no one steps up to stop them. At last, they reach the shelter of the narthex. They share a look of affirmation, and Silent Fox steps forward to bang the ornate brass knocker-shaped like the head of a demon-against the think Ironwood doors. They don't have long to wait. They hear footsteps, and whispers, then the sound of multiple deadbolts being disengaged from within. Who appears is a young man with dirty yellow hair, wearing an oddly similiar garb to your own-only his cloak is a dusty dark grey instead of green. He seems afraid of you at first, but when he notices your habit, he settles himself.

A bit late to go knocking on doors, isn't it? Especially in a place like this...I welcome you to the sanctum of the acolytes. We've...er, I've been expecting you. There's not really much of a "we" anymore...if you'll step inside, I'll explain. And yes, we all felt whats going on under the cemetary...as I"ll explain.

He motion for you to enter. Silent Foxes senses tell him this boy alone is likely of no direct danger to them.
Sheltering Leaves notices the boy is nearly emaciated underneath his dusky robes.

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

OOC:
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 04, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »

Sheltering Leaves nodded. "Of course. We'll hear you out." He wasn't entirely sure they could trust the young man yet, but he seemed sincere. At the very least he could listen to his story before judging him. Merame, meanwhile, had hopped off his shoulder and scampered off to look for an open window on one of the higher floors. She had some scouting to do.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 04, 2011, 12:26:56 pm »

ouch didnt expect that  :P
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Kai RTD-Chapter one, Turn 15-Bound under Oath
« Reply #333 on: June 04, 2011, 02:50:48 pm »

ouch didnt expect that  :P

I'm glad I could give you a Heroic sacrifice-any place else and I would have had to drop a rock on you. :P

-----------------------
Turn 15

The young man leads you into the meeting hall-this place can't properly be called a church, though it might have once been, as there are no religious symbols, and the pews and pulpit are no longer here, instead replaced with long tables and chairs. It has a look of disuse-window dressing, as if it often used for visitors. He leads you past this, through a door on the left, and down a small flight of stairs.

He stops to light a candle.

I know Kai strong enough in the sixth sense can travel through total darkness with nary a candlelight to guide them. As my mother often said-I, on the other hand, am quite clumsy, candlelight or no. You see the ghost of a smile come and go, like a shaft of sunlight on a cloudy day.

He leads you down into the cellar. The stench of decay is strong down here-Sheltering Leaves and Silent Fox detect the sickening odor of recently gone bad fruit and vegetables stored in barrels and crates. Your estimates for the number of acolytes that could be living on the grounds were no more or less than 30. Why did all this food go to waste?

Moving on, the Kai pass rows of what could only be weapon and armor stands-now empty. Sheltering Leaves stoops and picks up a heavy, square arrow head stuck on the end of a splintered wooden shaft-a crossbow quarrel.

I'm afraid my brothers and sisters are quite well armed. Here's what you need to see. he says, opening a large double door with his shoulder.

What stands before you is a another stone door-but not one of this age, or even of this world perhaps.  Ancient symbols the predate even the oldest lore you have studied limb the circular door-the door itself is made of strange black stone, a stone that seems to be drawing the very warmth of your bones away as you stare into it's surface-which is strangely reflective. Silent Fox notices his reflection is...distorted. At one second, he see's nothing amiss, then another he see's another version of himself-grinning ferally. He shakes his head and the vision is gone...but he must make a real effort to turn himself away from it's surface.

You wouldn't know how many of us get lost in the reflections...they see something deep within them, and they want to see it again, and after awhile they can't do anything but keep looking. Eventually, they become what they see. Do you understand?

He sighs, hanging his candle on a nearby hook.

You'll find, through this door, lies the true way to Dusk Runners tomb-all you would find above are false paths, and traps set by my brothers. Two of your Kai brothers showed up not a few days ago, and attempted to enter the crypts from above, and were captured for this very reason.

I figured you knew already-my brothers would have killed me for revealing that not a week ago...now, we have worse problems. About a month ago-the same time the chaos begun engulfing Esteros-an agent of the enemy broke past our deepest defenses. We were unprepared. He took a small black orb from the tomb of Dusk Runner-a Deathstone. The stone itself is evil-far more evil than anything you have ever faced. It is the weapon he used to destroy Vayar. Since then, we have all felt the evil begin to rise from beneath, and my brothers have all gone into the catacombs, to confront it. They took your brother Kai down with them, still alive last I saw them.

They told me to lock the door behind then, and left me here to greet, and to be truthful, kill anyone who showed up who could be not be persuaded to leave.  I know they aim to keep everyone out, and to keep something in...

I doubt my brothers will listen to reason. If you seek from them the truth, you may find it, but you may also find death...for, we are all bound by ancient oaths we took to Dusk Runner. Oaths of old magic that tie father to son, blood to blood, through the ages, and may not be violated. Which is why, I must do my best to stop you. We are no longer men, you see-we sacrificed our free will long ago to keep the evil that lies under this place safely contained...we have failed, and now can only seek death where it will find us. Do not despair slaying us, for we are already dead...we are the Grey Cloaks, and we are bound.

At that, the young man grimly draws a Kris from his belt and begins walking slowly toward Sheltering Leaves-the slick sheen of poison glitters from within the folds of steel. He seems resigned to a quick death at the hands of the Kai, a release from the torment of his duty. You are hesitant-it wouldn't take more than a single blow to finish him off in this weakened state...but, he clearly intends to kill you if given the chance.

----------------
(Merame Scouting roll: 3, pass)

Merame, quite nicely reports no one else in the building-and no food either. She mentions seeing a library, mostly destroyed-it looked like someone had taken a torch to it-and a small room in the back filled with evil looking purple mushrooms growing in pots, tools for alchemists (bowls and pestles) and glass containers-it all smelled very bad.

------------------
(Encounter Roll, 4-2=2)
(Difficulty 1d3-2=1)
(Detection roll 4+1 VS Acolyte Stealth roll 7+2=9, pass)
(Acolyte Agility surprise attack roll:10-2=8, fail!)
(Agi roll:6, miss!)
(Acolyte Mind Blast attack, 8, fail)

War Wind and Mending moon have seen nothing, yet, except the scampering form of Merame scouting out the house. All is silent. War Wind hears it first-the distinctive click of a crossbow being fired. He rolls to the the left, and hears a heavy thunk as the bolt strikes the ground where he was. Both of the Kai warriors roll into combat positions, scanning their vantage-there seems to be only one of them. The Acolyte-a sad looking brunette woman in her early 40s, half dead from starvation-you see the truth in her eyes. She wants to die as a warrior, and will ask for, and give no quarter. War Wind feels a tearing mental scream begin to rip at his mind! He shrugs off the first wave easily...but like all waves, it only precedes an ocean. She begins to reload her cumbersome crossbow with supernatural speed, assisted by a skill not unlike the Kai's own Mind over Matter-you see a long blade of some sort concealed under her belt, and she's wearing leather armor studded with metal under a long grey cloak that makes her true form indistinct-be on your guard! The acolytes of the long dead Dusk Runner are a fair match for your Kai skills..

OOC:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:58:41 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2011, 02:55:38 pm »

Engage, strike the arms or legs first.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2011, 03:09:27 pm »

No. Use my prayer book to pacify him.

Oh wait, you're not with me are you? Eh, tough luck for you then.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 04, 2011, 03:12:38 pm »

Leaf took a step back and raised his hands. I don't have a choice; this is not something to be settled with words. It's either he or I, and my mission is far more important. First thing was first: grapple the arm with the kris by the forearm and snap the wrist. While keeping the arm locked, drive a knee into the elbow to break that and ensure the weapon was dropped, then a knee to the stomach to double-up the acolyte. Finally, a guillotine headlock, snap the neck, and throw the body aside. It was the quickest, most efficient way to end the fight, and would give him and Silent Fox room to breathe and take a look around.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 04, 2011, 03:18:15 pm »

Wait. I'm the one trying to use diplomatic means and you're the one trying to kill(?) him? Something's wrong here :V

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2011, 03:25:09 pm »

Diplomacy's not going to work; in-character, these guys are duty-bound/cursed to defend this tomb and will keep trying to kill us. Better to strike now while he's giving us an easy opportunity. ^^

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2011, 03:31:15 pm »

Diplomacy's not going to work; in-character, these guys are duty-bound/cursed to defend this tomb and will keep trying to kill us. Better to strike now while he's giving us an easy opportunity. ^^

The best Darvi's prayer book could do, if it works, is give a Grey Cloak back enough sense to take his or her own life before hurting you. Most of them willingly embraced the curse though, and will fight to the death regardless.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2011, 08:14:32 pm »

Notch an arrow, and attempt to shoot without killing the sniper.

By the way, though this is definitely metagaming, look at your omens, Darvi.
I'm impressed you had it all planned out this far in advance, Dwarmin.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2011, 09:13:13 pm »

Aww, you ruined the surprise!

I guess I should explain Omens. They will always relate, in the short term, to the chapter at hand-though have long term meaning as well...each player can get one omen a mission.

One of the ways is for someone with the 6th sense to meditate for omens, and you can get a warning about a future danger-depending on your roll, I might make it more or less vauge. Getting an omen makes you a bad karma magnet...

For, if they decide to go ahead, they'll be in the way to prevent the absolute worst that happens to your party-usually this means a player death, mission failure, or brutal mauling that would result in death...BUT they actually get an additional roll to stop it from happening-by potentially having it happen to them instead. So, if normally a player would have died in combat, you can save them from that fatal roll by toying with fate-possibly, by taking the blow meant for them. Depending on your roll, you could totally fail, or prevent it from happening to anyone. Such decisions will be up to the player, entirely-you'll have a choice to intercede or not if it happens to someone else. If it happens to you, well...you were warned after all.  :-\

There's a chance nothing will happen, of course-I can't really predict the future-or that you'll trigger it early and miss the real thing later on...It's up to player choice if they want to tempt fate for the sake of their friends and quest. But remember!

Fate has no forgiveness for those who dare stand against it.

-favorite quote ^^

Edit: I'll roll up the combat tonight as well

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Kai RTD-Chapter one, Turn 16-Never split the party!
« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2011, 10:06:32 pm »

Turn 16

The two Kai have very different ideas for how to deal with the problem...Silent Fox steps forward and takes out his book of prayers, meaning to recite the words of faith known to break mens spirits from foul curses and sorcery. The Acolyte will have none of that, and rushes toward Silent Fox with his weapon raised-even in his final moments, the young mans speed is impressive...he raises the Kris to plunge it into the Kai's heart, but Sheltering Leaves catches the blade, recieving a nasty cut for himself in the process...ignoring the burning pain, he quickly disables the young man, breaking his wrist, then elbow, then kneeing him in the gut, finshing the boy off with a neck snap, finally letting the lifeless body fall to the side...

Sheltering Leaves stumbles to the side. The blow was a feeble cut, but it has done it's work-a virulent poison flows through the Elfs bloodstream, working its way inward-toward his heart. To Sheltering Leaves, it feels as if live embers are being poured into his veins...

Sheltering Leaves, -2 HP, Poisoned, unknown, taking 3 HP damage for 3 turns

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

------------------
Mending Moon/War Wind VS Acolyte Sniper

War Wind marches forward, but the wind and rain are still pouring badly, and as he resists another violent mental attack,  he's loses track of the sniper! He looks left...then right...then see's the flash of an bolt being loosed, speeding toward his head. He hastily raises his shield-it impacts with a bone jarring thud, and punches through, stabbing him in the chest badly! He hastily retreats to the safety of the large headstone. Mending Moon frantically searches, bow ready-he spies movement behind one of the stones and fires quickly, but hits only the fleeting ghost image of a dusky grey cloak...both of the Kai hear her insane laughter in their minds, taunting them to come out again, if they're men and not children.

War Wind is taking cover behind the headstone, and cannot be targeted by ranged attacks.
War Wind -7 HP, Shield Damaged 12%, arrow embedded lowers agility by one until removed
Mending Moon -1 arrow

-fight stopped-

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

OOC: That's what I get for talking about fate >_>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:20:30 pm by Dwarmin »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2011, 10:13:01 pm »

Remove the arrow from shield.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 05, 2011, 02:23:10 am »

Leaf grimaced and fell to a knee." Damn..." That's all it takes... I got careless, reacted too slowly... He slammed a fist against the ground in pain and frustration. "Merame... find an antidote!" he ordered. "All right! I'll be right back!" she said as she scampered off to search the room. For his own part, Leaf drug the body over and starting going through the robe. It was doubtful he would carry an antidote, but if he was as young and clumsy as he claimed he might just in case he cut himself.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 110