Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lignite floors - do they burn?  (Read 1066 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Lignite floors - do they burn?
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:23:54 am »

So I've downloaded Warlord's bonfire mod (which rocks!). I want to make a "gauntlet of death" of sorts...make two entrance into my fort, one normal, and one made of lignite floors, sealed with a drawbridge. Come a siege, I close the main entrance and open the Entrance of Firey Flamey Doom. The way I figure this'll burn goblins to a crisp and also instantly incinerate their worthless clothes.

Extinquishing it may be a different kettle of fish...eh, a li'l steam never hurt anyone.

So, would they burn?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Lignite floors - do they burn?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:26:11 am »

No.  Constructions don't burn.  Buildings will burn, so if you make lignite floor grates and build them along the floor those can burn.  Not that there's much point - to make them burn you need to expose them to magma, and if you can do that, you could just dump magma on the goblins.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:21 am »

No.  Constructions don't burn.  Buildings will burn, so if you make lignite floor grates and build them along the floor those can burn.  Not that there's much point - to make them burn you need to expose them to magma, and if you can do that, you could just dump magma on the goblins.

So fire won't set them alight? That's...odd. How do dwarves ignite it, then?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:29:19 pm »

The same way an adventurer does without flint or tools.

With their mind.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »

make some thing that bruns and we the old lignite-block-in-a-bin trick
it will last the better part of a year.
try useing a Bridgeapults to Throw a couple bins radiating death at invaders .
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:29:10 am »

But magma, while effective, is unfortunately not so spectacular as being consumed by a raging fire.

Trails

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:41:06 am »

Will goblins path over burning floor grates?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »

Constructions don't burn, but what about natural lignite floors?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:32:27 pm »

The same way an adventurer does without flint or tools.

With their beards.

Fixed.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 10:02:49 pm »

Lignite (or charcoal, which is renewable) bridges or roads will burn, but only the center tile counts for temperature purposes. I've had dwarves stand on the edge of a long burning bridge to no effect. It also ruined my plan to make a goblin "hot plate" by heating a steel bridge  with magma poured on part of it.

If you manipulate dwarves into making artifact lignite(etc) mechanisms and put them in a magma-safe bridge, they should be able to burn forever. A bridge can't be upended by trolls, unlike a grate. Plus you can retract it to dump out the magma used to ignite it.

Both goblins and dwarves will walk blissfully into an inferno. If a goblin leader gets incinerated, his followers might stop, however. You have to be careful of dwarves trying to pick up items dropped in the fire by incinerated enemies. Daggers dropped by undetected kobolds might not get forbidden properly, I don't remember clearly.