Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm Animal Mortal Combat  (Read 714 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farm Animal Mortal Combat
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:42:39 am »

So I've got a capybara and a lamb in the same field.  They've got the entire field to be in but mostly always stick in the same square, and sometimes fight.

Mostly they don't hurt each other, being a lamb and a capybara, but I've had animals kick the !#$^ out of each other before.  What's wrong and how do I fix it?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Farm Animal Mortal Combat
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:44:08 am »

They're too crowded - give them more space.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:46:52 am »

How much space do they need?  The two animals have like a 10x10 area all by themselves.  No, more like 15x20.

The chickens don't have this problem.  They spread out.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:41 am »

Does the pasture overlap a meeting area?  If so they will try to be in the part that is a meeting area, regardless of how big the pasture is.  Otherwise, put them in separate pastures.  A 3x3 field should be more than adequate for each of them.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:58:16 am »

No, it doesn't, but it used to.  Wonder if there's some bit still flagged or something.

Anyway, they finally separated after a few years of bothering each other.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:21:29 am »

The Stray Lamb kicks the Stray Capybara in the head, bruising the muscle and shattering the skull !

STRAY LAMB WINS

FATALITY

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:41:59 am »

hehe, it happens to me too with puppies... my war dog factory is losing in efficiency with these collateral damages!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:34:32 pm »

hehe, it happens to me too with puppies... my war dog factory is losing in efficiency with these collateral damages!
i was too but after i add CAN_LEAN, it works a lot better.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 03:56:04 pm »

Doesn't matter how big the area is initially as the animals are always hauled into the same corner and get crowded if many are taken there at once. Just butcher everything for fps or keep multiple smaller pastures.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »

Actually, I've shifted to more small pastures, especially for large grazers, because they spend a lot of time walking in larger pastures, which tramples the grass.  I try to keep grazer numbers low, and large grazers down to a breeding pair and a couple of offspring.  Rotate them through 4 or 5 small pastures and the grass has time to regrow, my haulers have something to keep them busy, and max 2 animals per pasture keeps them from fighting.  Cats get assigned to a food stockpile, dogs get 1x1 pastures near the entrance, most other non-grazers go in a cage.  Wild grazers don't need to eat until you tame them, so wild horses and moose (mooses? meese?) can stay in a cage or get dumped in a breeding pit.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »

There's currently a bug where old dumping zones continue to be used in some cases, i suspect this has something to do with this. My dwarves dumped all of my fresh goblinite into magma when i was attempting to get them to move it indoors >.<

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:33:59 am »

I had a Musk Ox Bull GRAB THE LLAMA BY THE THROAT!

Aside from the anatomical issues, it looks like my Musk Oxen have joined the mob...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 04:42:50 pm »

You know, this might have been happening for a very long time.

Remember in 40D, when chasm creatures were just spawned in nooks and crannies and didn't wander in off the edge?  You'd find a tight knot of mole dogs huddled together and one or two dead ones?  That must be how the dead ones happened.