Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple modding question  (Read 714 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple modding question
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:37:54 am »

So, what's the easiest way to mod to keep kobolds from going the way of the dodos? I actually miss having to chain up dogs at the end of my traphall to keep them from entering my fort and stealing stuff :(
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Simple modding question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:40:50 am »

Add [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to their creature raws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:49:41 am »

k thanx, though since I've never modded ANYTHING before, I'm probably gonna break something a few times before figuring it out  :P

Edit: Better be safe than sorry. Can you give me an example so I know what to do?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But you'd do it with kobolds. I think the Kobold entry is in creature_standard.txt, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:54:39 am by Patchouli »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:54:13 am »

It's in creature standard.

There should be Dwarves, then Humans, Elves, Goblins, then after them Kobolds. Anywhere inside the Kobold section, except inside something selecting a caste or tissue... so to be safe, directly under the Creature:Kobold line or whatever.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:53:05 pm »

Try making them live in something else than caves.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:25:17 pm »

thanx for the advice, the no eat and drink tags worked like a charm! On a slightly related note, what do you think toady can do to increase survivability of kobolds without us having to mod it in? I like seeing them scuttle around my fort (Right until my legendary axedorf slices one in half, that is!)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54:08 pm »

The problem now is that they're based on raiding, and therefore don't farm. They can't steal enough food (or they just don't go after food) and they die soon after, I think.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!