Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Berserk Dwarf Extermination Help  (Read 4232 times)

Tereth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Berserk Dwarf Extermination Help
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:28:27 am »

What is the best way to deal with a Berserk Dwarf?

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Berserk Dwarf Extermination Help
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:44:08 am »

Soldiers work. I just had one, failed mood, went down fairly easily against a proficient mace and speardwarf. I think they also get hit by traps so if you have it isolated somewhere you could build a cage trap then let it out to run over the trap. That would be the safest method.Definitely if it's a military dwarf that's gone berserk.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:59:26 am »

It really depends on who the dwarf is.  Hauler: assign them a few war dogs when you see them getting really unhappy and that usually slows em down enough for your military to turn up and kill them.  Miners and woodcutters are a bit more dangerous, your military should still be able to deal with it, (though steel picks and axes can cause losses even with steel armor) but they can kill civis fast.  Military dwarves: you really Really, REALLY want to get them out of their armor and away from their weapons before they wig out.  A legendary military dwarf doing his wig in full steel gear in the middle of your fort is going to put a big hole in your numbers fast. 

Traps will work fine (though again, full steel plate and legendary shield skill will counteract weapon traps), cage traps especially so, but you have to have the dwarf go berserk in the right place for that to work.  Generally if you see it coming, you can sort things out,
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:43:01 am »

Can dwarf with perk 'doesn't care about anything anymore' (100% psy-trauma) fall into berserk?
And what a + and - of this perk?

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:59:45 am »

The easiest? I believe it'd be to have the workshop surrounded by walls with single door - lock them and wait till you get message he died of hunger, then unlock and bury poor guy.

Also - if you kill it with military at the workshop, there's a chance a sock or a shoe will end up on the non-walkable parts of workshop and to get rid of it, you'd have to deconstruct it. The door method is cleaner. :)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:06:17 am »

Yes, dwarves that dont care about anything anymore can still tantrum.  Its just that witnissing death wont be the straw that broke the camels back :)

It does of course make it easier to avoid the tantrum
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

aaOzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:53:19 am »

What is the best way to deal with a Berserk Dwarf?

Military usually.

I had a fully clad and armored in steel + steel battel axe soldier go berserk. I had to order teh rest of the military to kill him right away.

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:56:16 am »

Berserk dwarfs still honor "locked" doors ("Yes i will kill my wife and two children but open that door a voice in my head told me not to, never"). By putting doors everywhere you can isolate any dangerous dwarf away from most of your population either to let them starve or to give some time to send in the military (or divert magma to go through the ceiling).   

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:52:41 am »

Berserk dwarfs still honor "locked" doors ("Yes i will kill my wife and two children but open that door a voice in my head told me not to, never"). By putting doors everywhere you can isolate any dangerous dwarf away from most of your population either to let them starve or to give some time to send in the military (or divert magma to go through the ceiling).

This works great. Never done me wrong ( bar me forgetting to lock the door to the workshop they've claimed ).

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:58:59 am »

But don't they still destroy doors?
[Signature]

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:03:29 am »

If they're berserking from a strange mood, you should likely have walled him up in the workshop if you knew not all the right materials were available. Walls can't be smashed at all.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:28:52 am »

If they're berserking from a strange mood, you should likely have walled him up in the workshop if you knew not all the right materials were available. Walls can't be smashed at all.

this, and just wait it out

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:55:35 am »

Or build him a hallway connecting to a depot full of elves
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:14:27 pm »

Lock his room and link the doors to a lever. Build noble quarters next door. I think you can probably guess the rest.

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 01:11:46 pm »

I've replaced all my doors with copper cages.
Captures tantrum spirals better then bashed doors.
I have dwarfs in cages and don't know what to do with them.
Pages: [1] 2