Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vermin FB  (Read 3151 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Vermin FB
« on: May 22, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »

I accidently breached the caverns while strip mining and sealed it off since I don't want to mess with the caverns at all this fort. However, since I breached them of course FBs start to show up. Well one that showed up a few seasons ago is a giant titmouse. It is evidently a vermin because it keeps blinking in and out like vermin do...

So, after I noticed this I began to worry. The first thing is will that damn thing blink into my fort eventually? I assume it won't try to path into it via blinking but can it randomly blink in at some point?

Additionally, if that first concern is true will my military be able to attack the damn thing or do I need to breed an army of cats to take the damn thing out?
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin FB
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:48:11 pm »

An FB shouldn't move like vermin.  Is it a flier?  It could just be moving up and down z-levels, which looks like teleporting when you can only see 1 z at a time.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:42 pm »

No the thing is not a flier. I immediately paused it a dozen times or so to try and find it on another Z and it wasn't there. It is teleporting like a vermin for sure.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:18:48 pm »

Give us a description of the creature.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:53:07 pm »

Description: A towering eyeless titmouse. It has three stubby tails and it has a bloated body. Its dark violet scales are large and close-set. Beware its deadly spittle.

It is definately blinking about like a vermin. I just watched it for 15min pausing and going up and down Z levels each time it blinked.

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:54:27 pm »

How odd. A titmouse is a kind of bird, so I'd just have assumed flying, but if you're checking the z-levels and it's not around, that's just plain bizarre.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »

Oh well I suppose ill just move all the stone I mined up into a stockpile and chain a dog down there and at the upper entrance to my fort proper in case it blinks on in. Hopefully the military can kill it if that happens.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:58:06 pm »

Have you tried zooming from the units list when it has disappeared?  If it really is teleporting, I'd call it a bug.  Vermin teleport because of their small size and huge numbers (you REALLY don't want to do the pathfinding for every vermin on the map).

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 11:02:28 pm »

UNLEASH CAT!

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 12:02:42 am »

Place small traps.

I know FB's are trap-immune, but does this trait extend to vermin FB's vs baited small animal traps? Dwarven !!Science!! calls for you! :-)

If that fails, then unleash cat indeed. It will probably be the only cat in the entire dwarven history to slaughter a Forgotten Beast single-pawedly.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:40:37 am »

I had a crow FB a few versions ago. Not only could i trap it, but upon checking the kennel, discovered i could tame it. it then wandered my meeting hall until another version came out.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:24 am »

I am eagerly awaiting the day the RNG gives us the purring maggot FB.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:01:36 am »

Beware its deadly milk!
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 03:05:29 am »

Beware its deadly milk!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:27 am »

If that fails, then unleash cat indeed. It will probably be the only cat in the entire dwarven history to slaughter a Forgotten Beast single-pawedly.

That cat would then be raised into the annals of legend and would proceed to adopt Cacame.

Dwarves would probably engrave pictures of that bloody cat for the next hundred years, too.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4