Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraver doesn't engrave slab?  (Read 1396 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraver doesn't engrave slab?
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:57:18 pm »

It's the first time I have a ghost in my fortress, so I want to put it to rest.

I made a slab, ordered it to be engraved and relieved one of my engravers of all duties except stone detailing. No success. He's just loitering around with "No job".

I placed that slab in my graveyard and ordered it to be engraved again (and produced a second one just in case). Still no success.

Is there some trick I'm missing? I mean, wiki is pretty specific that it's engraver's job to engrave a slab in the craftsdwarf's workshop. I have an engraver (no other jobs assigned, not assigned to any burrows), a workshop (available to everyone) with a job placed,  and a slab (two in fact, one built and another lying in the mason's workshop, and it's definitely not queued for anything because I don't have any stockpiles which accept slabs).
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Engraver doesn't engrave slab?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 03:38:32 pm »

The first time you tried should have worked so there is obviously something wrong. Try enabling engraving on everyone and make a ton more slabs? Other than I don;t know what could help.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:49:58 pm »

Might the craftsdwarf's workshop be forbidden? Might you have restricted it to use by only certain dwarves that don't include the engraver? Might the engraver be in a burrow that doesn't include the workshop? Might you have restricted the workshop to use only by people of skill levels that the engraver isn't at? There's several reasons why it wouldn't work. Worth checking, if nothing else, as even the best of us can make foolish mistakes like that on occasion.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:01:42 pm »

Worst comes to worst you just have a ghost floating around, oogly booglying everyone permanently :O

I do :3 His name's Bomrek. He used to be a child but I got a message saying "Bomrek has grown to become a ghost".
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:10:26 pm »

Every fort needs a non murderous ghost. Perhaps you could make it a companion in Adv. Mode
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:47 pm »

I've never actually seen a murderous ghost, but I'm sure !!FUN!! would ensue, given the circumstances.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 11:40:59 pm »

Might the craftsdwarf's workshop be forbidden?
Crap. This is the only thing I forgot to check before posting and of course it was the reason. Thanks! :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:25:55 am »

Worst I've had is an 'energetic poltergeist'.  First thing it did was go back to its old room, and destroy its own bed.

Pretty sure ghosts cause bad thoughts.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »

Urist was snuggled by a friendly ghost recently.