Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Use For Memory Attribute (Fortress)  (Read 950 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Use For Memory Attribute (Fortress)
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:47:23 pm »

Following up from the Adventurer thread...

Quite simple, drastically reduces skill rust rate. Someone with a super photographic memory will probably be able to go back to their crafts years later and remember exactly how to make masterpieces. Hm... unless it's actually physical practice needed to get used to it again, what do you think?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Use For Memory Attribute (Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:28:02 pm »

Following up from the Adventurer thread...

Quite simple, drastically reduces skill rust rate. Someone with a super photographic memory will probably be able to go back to their crafts years later and remember exactly how to make masterpieces. Hm... unless it's actually physical practice needed to get used to it again, what do you think?

Signed.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »

I like that idea. Not much else to say, just supporting.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »

I like this too.  Would be a potential godsend for dwarves with the less-frequently-used medical skills, too..
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:59:52 am »

unless it's actually physical practice needed to get used to it again
I can see that happening with some skills, but do you really need to get into physical practice to use, say, the liar skill... Or comedian (Okay, actually I can see how that one might...)?

I do like this idea, though.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:16:33 pm »

I like this too.  Would be a potential godsend for dwarves with the less-frequently-used medical skills, too..

You clearly don't make the habit of dropping migrants down a floor or two into the Hospital
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:20:46 pm »

You clearly don't make the habit of dropping migrants down a floor or two into the Hospital
wut, how did you come up with that idea?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 07:43:24 pm »

So a dorf with poor memory, would have skills rust much faster?

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:36 am »

wut, how did you come up with that idea?

I have to admit, that's pure genius.
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:20:08 pm »

Bay12 Forums: Brutal actions for practical gain.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.