Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What is lead good for?  (Read 5659 times)

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is lead good for?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 01:09:41 pm »

I wonder if lead would make for a good collapsing roof trap? Not got enough lead to do !SCIENCE! on this in my current fort, but you'd think that since lead makes for super heavy furniture then lead blocks would make an equally heavy floor/roof capable of messing up a few trolls.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 01:12:43 pm »

Material mass is irrelevant for caveins.
Whether it's a featherwood floor or platinum floor falling on your head, effects are the same.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 01:14:27 pm »

Material mass is irrelevant for caveins.
Whether it's a featherwood floor or platinum floor falling on your head, effects are the same.

This saddens me. Now I can't make cheesy jokes about feeding gobbos lead without making lead bolts or modding in slings/guns.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »

Maybe lead could be used to ward off some special kind of night-creature in the future. Like the tooth-fairy.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »

Furniture for the low-caste riff-raff, obviously! This way, copper can be used for craftsmen's rooms, bronze for the soldiers, and precious metals for the gentry.

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »

LEAD EVERYTHING!

I have a lot of galena on my map, so between the lead and silver barrels and bins, bridges, walls, floors, roads, and a few artifacts, I'm finding it quite versatile.

I personally find its best use to be in bolts. Slightly heavier than silver, and not nearly as fun to look at.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2011, 03:08:11 pm »

I sometimes use lead for burial receptacles.  It strikes me as fitting, and it's not like they need to be moved around frequently.

If it is available, I ALWAYS make burial receptacles out of lead, to the point of eschewing all other materials. Build'm in a big mausoleum deep beneath the caverns, wait (a short time) for them to fill up, then when the room is full flood the entire complex. I've always found something very dwarfy about lead sarcophagi buried and flooding in the bowels of the earth, and the presence of lead is the only time I take elaborate measures to bury people. I imagine this will be a good habit to be in for the upcoming releases :D

I also make bridges/roads/vertical bars/floodgates and generally any piece of furniture I don't plan on moving often out of excess lead, for style points. Nobles who have a preference for lead always get a lead lined room with lead cabinets and silver studded lead statues. Or, as Stormcloudy so eloquently put it, LEAD EVERYTHING!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2011, 05:16:17 pm »

Reminds me of an Alias Smith And Jones sketch (or was it NT9OcN?), but you're already 90% towards the punchline, so I won't repeat it...

(But I've just Googled it and found this decent representation of the sketch I mean.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2011, 09:58:53 am »

Already been mentioned, but lead barrels for all your booze-storage needs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]