Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What is lead good for?  (Read 5664 times)

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is lead good for?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 01:29:22 pm »

They used it so the tip (which was 12+ inches) would bend after penetrating
Out of context quote of the day.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:26 pm »

doors.
nothing says "stay the hell out" like a lead door
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »

Lead block lined insulation for your pitchblende-based nuclear water reactors?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:08 pm »

the romans didn't use lead because it was an incredibly sharp material and held an edge well, they used lead specifically BECAUSE it was a soft metal, and would break off after one use, so they couldn't be picked up and thrown back at the legionnaire who threw it =P
Actually no.  They used it so the tip (which was 12+ inches) would bend after penetrating a shield, making the shield heavy and unweildy, slowing their enemy down... that it was useless to be thrown back was a nice secondary effect.

My point wasn't that it's ginsu sharp, my point was that historically lead was used in weaponry.  I'd have mentioned lead shot for slings and such, but DF doesn't have those weapons.

What about lead boulders for catapults?

Actually actually, lead was used to add weight to projectiles (javelins and darts) so they would have more impact, and penetrate deeper than a lighter weapon.  The bending was caused by the shape of the bronze or iron head, which was a large blade with a very thin piece of metal connecting it to the shaft.  When the point was stuck in something, the weight of the shaft would cause the thin spot to bend.  Lead blades or javelin tips would be about as useful as soft butter.

Lead shot, for slings, cannons, and guns, is about putting the most mass in the smallest place for the least money.  Just like in DF, platinum would be a more effective material, but the cost is prohibitive.  Also, slings and (early) cannons often used stones because they were cheaper and more readily available than lead.

You can fire galena boulders from a catapult, but pure lead won't count as a boulder, so your siege operators won't use it.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 06:19:15 pm »

I suppose one practical use for lead is storing your important stuff in lead containers so  that if you would reclaim the containers shouldn't have moved far. Atleast I  think they won't.
For the record, this definitely works:I've successfully used it to store otherwise very light armor and weapons for my adventurers to use.
Lead ? Yeah, it's pretty much trash metal. Kinda like zinc (sorry, Sphalerite), nickel and probably the king of all trash metals, bismuth. I tend to use it for bins only, so I don't get to waste a more useful metal.
Clearly you don't have the copper surplus I do; I go out of my way to order bismuth and zinc from caravans.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 08:30:04 pm »

It should be useable for bolts, it was historically used by Rome to tip their javelins.

No, Pila had iron heads. The narrow shaft of soft iron was malleable enough to bend.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 08:52:16 pm »

No, Pila had iron heads. The narrow shaft of soft iron was malleable enough to bend.
Right, what he said.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:27 am »

I've suddenly got some plans thanks to this thread in the event that I find some lead producing ores. Thanks!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 01:44:12 am »

Lead is used for fallout shelters panic rooms. I've also used it for plumbing that ONLY dumps water on enemies.

You would think it would be good at bolts.... Chains obviously work, same with cages.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 02:07:28 am »

I noticed today that Lead is listed in the economic stone list as "Sharp Weapon Useable" (or something very similar).

Hmmm.  I have no lead on my map, so I'll have to wait til I can buy some to see if that means what i think it means.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 03:32:01 am »

I noticed today that Lead is listed in the economic stone list as "Sharp Weapon Useable" (or something very similar).

Hmmm.  I have no lead on my map, so I'll have to wait til I can buy some to see if that means what i think it means.

But every metal has this description? Maybe it means these metals can be use to make blades sharp. Iron sharpener menacing with spikes of gold and adorned with hanging rings of lead.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:20 am »

Lead is a wonderful material for large pots, especially those that are destined to hold liquids.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 05:49:34 am »

But every metal has this description? Maybe it means these metals can be use to make blades sharp. Iron sharpener menacing with spikes of gold and adorned with hanging rings of lead.
I think it means that you can tell workshops or the job manager to make X Y, where X is a metal and Y is an object.

I am sad at how little you guys are being creative. Training, bins for reclaim, useless, random side discussions about the Romans.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 02:00:48 pm »

Lead bolts! :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 11:49:57 am »

I am sad at how little you guys are being creative. Training, bins for reclaim, useless, random side discussions about the Romans.

Fine. Lead skydildo it is then.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4