Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What is lead good for?  (Read 5665 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: What is lead good for?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 05:46:19 pm »

If only you could use the lead to smith some bullets.

You could always build a magma cannon with a lead blast-cap.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 07:24:09 pm »

You could mod in a reaction to make a gun, then another reaction to make an ammo pouch, and another for bullets, and another for gun powder, and another to make a shell. Realistically, bullets would be smaller than arrows, but have much better penetration. Now, if only we could mod the projectiles to move faster...

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 08:36:10 pm »

Mod in lead warhammers for practicality's sake. Of course, while you're at it, ununoctium hammers would be quite a bit better weight-wise, despite requiring smelting at a large hadron collider.
Oh, these silly names. And I thought, they were still stuck with ununbium or something... anyway, I trust dwarves to build a particle collider powered by kittens, magma and perpetual motion engines. Maybe the force of a goblin (propelled by a dwarven warhammer) when it hits solid rock already is enough to create all kinds of new elements. Superheated Bloodychunkium mostly :P (and that isn't even usable in crafts... sadly)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 08:47:26 pm »

You could mod in a reaction to make a gun, then another reaction to make an ammo pouch, and another for bullets, and another for gun powder, and another to make a shell. Realistically, bullets would be smaller than arrows, but have much better penetration. Now, if only we could mod the projectiles to move faster...
Uh... absolutely none of this requires reactions to be modded in provided you're willing to handwave away the gunpowder. Just add a new weapon called "gun" (or pistol or rifle or whatever) and add a new ammo type called "bullet" and you're good to go. Oh, don't forget to add all this to the entity file so dwarves can actually make them. Making the projectiles go faster is the easy part. My mod-abused fort currently has a weapon that essentially shoots lasers at enemies while having every attack of all the other weapons. It's a sword, an axe, a scourge, a war hammer and a crossbow all at once.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 09:02:59 pm »

I sometimes use lead for burial receptacles.  It strikes me as fitting, and it's not like they need to be moved around frequently.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 01:20:49 am »

I use lead for chains mostly.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 02:04:40 am »

Hmm.. what if we modded lead with some kind of syndrome?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:34:21 am by Ultimuh »

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 02:32:54 am »

Lead makes excellent reclaim containers, and they give your dwarves a good workout. If you mod them to be useable as weapons, they would make good bolts and blunt weapons. It would be terrible armor.

It should be useable for bolts, it was historically used by Rome to tip their javelins.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 02:49:36 am »

Lead makes excellent reclaim containers, and they give your dwarves a good workout. If you mod them to be useable as weapons, they would make good bolts and blunt weapons. It would be terrible armor.

It should be useable for bolts, it was historically used by Rome to tip their javelins.

I say, mod in lead ballista bolts.

Not that anyone ever uses ballistas.

...lead pyramid.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 05:20:00 am »

the romans didn't use lead because it was an incredibly sharp material and held an edge well, they used lead specifically BECAUSE it was a soft metal, and would break off after one use, so they couldn't be picked up and thrown back at the legionnaire who threw it =P
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 09:08:02 am »

In the vanilla game, I only use lead for metalcrafter/smith practice (make lead crap, melt, repeat).

But I have a few mods I almost always use.
1) Mod Lead to be a weapon material.
2) Mod in giant hammer trap.

Due to density, as a giant hammer it works well.  But I only use it as a last line, most of my traps are still axes and discs.

Of course, there are a lot of little mods like this I typically use, but not relevant in this thread.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 10:34:00 am »

Lead ? Yeah, it's pretty much trash metal. Kinda like zinc (sorry, Sphalerite), nickel and probably the king of all trash metals, bismuth. I tend to use it for bins only, so I don't get to waste a more useful metal.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 10:46:36 am »

Lead ? Yeah, it's pretty much trash metal. Kinda like zinc (sorry, Sphalerite), nickel and probably the king of all trash metals, bismuth. I tend to use it for bins only, so I don't get to waste a more useful metal.

Nickel is magma safe and looks nice. All my magma pumps are made of nickel. And most of magma safe cages too. I don't have to waste iron on this.

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »

For training. 

My current embark has native gold (in massive quantities), tetrahedrite (in decent quantity), and galena.

While all the copper gets sent to my weaponsmith and armorsmith, and the silver to my weaponsmith, the lead is handy for training my blacksmith, creating barrels to help my carpenter keep up with the demand from the stills and bins to haul all those arrows up to the surface.  Yeah, lead is heavy for containers - but only about 50% heavier than the non-aluminum/adamantine "light" metals and a hell of alot lighter than gold (which is my only alternative).

Once my smith reaches legendary, he'll switch to creating gold statues and chests and coffers but probably still pump out bins and barrels made of lead.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:33 pm »

the romans didn't use lead because it was an incredibly sharp material and held an edge well, they used lead specifically BECAUSE it was a soft metal, and would break off after one use, so they couldn't be picked up and thrown back at the legionnaire who threw it =P
Actually no.  They used it so the tip (which was 12+ inches) would bend after penetrating a shield, making the shield heavy and unweildy, slowing their enemy down... that it was useless to be thrown back was a nice secondary effect.

My point wasn't that it's ginsu sharp, my point was that historically lead was used in weaponry.  I'd have mentioned lead shot for slings and such, but DF doesn't have those weapons.

What about lead boulders for catapults?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4