Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What is lead good for?  (Read 5671 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
What is lead good for?
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:39:09 pm »

What is the best thing I can do with lead?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is lead good for?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:43:53 pm »

Make lead toys and sell them to elves!

KProject

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »

Make lead goblets and sell them to elves.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:49:33 pm »

Lead is pretty much the most pointless metal in the game. It's very low value at 2. Due to it's high weight it can't even be use for barrels or bins without slowing down your workforce.

It can be made into Lay pewter for a rather high mineral cost which only raises the value to 3. It is a nice teal colour which can be use for mega projects however.

Make lead cages and sell them to elves and offer captured elves discount living spaces.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:02:14 pm »

What is lead good for?  Huh?

Absolutely nothing!

No.  Wait.  Have I got lead and war mixed up again?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »

Lead makes excellent reclaim containers, and they give your dwarves a good workout. If you mod them to be useable as weapons, they would make good bolts and blunt weapons. It would be terrible armor.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »

It's mostly for hoping... hoping that one day, a weaponsmith will go into mood and make a lead warhammer. That would be one of the most awesome weapons ever. Probably even better than silver.

Other than that, crafts to train metalcrafters. And cages. If you ever held a piece of pure lead, you'd know how little sense this makes, but this is DF after all.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

CerealGuns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 03:35:30 pm »

It's mostly for hoping... hoping that one day, a weaponsmith will go into mood and make a lead warhammer. That would be one of the most awesome weapons ever. Probably even better than silver.

Other than that, crafts to train metalcrafters. And cages. If you ever held a piece of pure lead, you'd know how little sense this makes, but this is DF after all.

I had an artifact mace made of lead once.  I wasn't sure how well it would work but the dwarf who was wielding it seemed to rack up a pretty good number of kills.
Wielder of Mothtundra
Slayer of Ostrur the Acrid Abyssal Nettles
Duke of Channelravens

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 03:35:40 pm »

If you want to reclaim your fort or come back as an adventurer you should make lead bins so stuff won't scatter too far. Other than and possibly training metalcrafter (like you would ever want to train metalcrafter :P) there is not much use I guess.

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 03:36:43 pm »

You should think more like the romans, what better way of using lead than to house water (if you build the water tank separatly) or in pipes for water pumps, maybe mugs too...
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 03:39:49 pm »

Studding stuff in lead is kind of cool... not that ist much of a value boost, but its a use of it that doesnt require delving to magma (assuming you havent done so to smelt the ore that gave you lead) or wasting coal which sould be going into steel.
This is a blank sig.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »

Lead is only slightly more dense than silver - if you want a good material for a blunt weapon, you want platinum.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 05:02:16 pm »

A platinum maul would be fun. Large contact area, but they are BIG weapons. Enemies will fly clear across a large embark.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 05:10:17 pm »

Mod in lead warhammers for practicality's sake. Of course, while you're at it, ununoctium hammers would be quite a bit better weight-wise, despite requiring smelting at a large hadron collider.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 05:25:08 pm »

If only you could use the lead to smith some bullets.

I suppose one practical use for lead is storing your important stuff in lead containers so  that if you would reclaim the containers shouldn't have moved far. Atleast I  think they won't.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4