Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Rebellion! Turn 5: Time for a prison break, m'lord?  (Read 11252 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellion!
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 03:07:52 pm »

Yeah, I didn't notice I had so many guns. Actually, I really like my small, highly trained and well-armed force. Thanks!

Also, how do we recruit new troops? Do we manage money as well?

I kinda support the idea that we should not be able to purchase troops, but can only "win" them after defeating an army or completing a mission (Capturing soldiers or getting recrutis from a NPC). If we own some holding (city, guild hall) we should be able to get some troops every turn. Troop number and training should be based on the holding, but be low anyway, so as to make our starting troops precious.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 03:25:55 pm »

ah well that looks interesting, I seem to be a small, high morale force of woodsmen and ambushers, I like it :D.
Khan had gotten the news from one of his many hunters, the crown wished to have everyone submit to it's will and give up freedom and thier men in the name of the evil and bitter old man that is the emporer, as if.  The people of the forest are a jolly bunch, and while not particullarily part of any army or command, they did listen to him when he spoke, and as he sat there thinking, he decided, now is the time that the forests rose up and fought for the freedom of the individual, and the right to live as they liked, not submit to the ruling of a powerhungrey madman.  Though the men that would follow him is small, they are atleast moderatly trustworthy, and knowladgeable of the woods to a man, but reinforcements and training would be needed if he was to not get burned from the forest home before they began.

Have 100  of the huntes, and 200 of the woodsmen gather together in a set of small bands consisting of 5 hunters and 10 woodsmen, and break off under the guise of hunting parties, have them move west and scout on the town of ochsfrem, and attempt to get any possible armor or guns from the city that we could smuggle back to the forest, make sure they understand to be extremely careful, and avoid all crown personal.
Get the other 100 hunters to train 100 of the farmfolk in a specialized form of trapmaking and setting, using modified rabbit snares, bear traps, pitfalls, and noose traps, that are made to work on humans, have them practice and train, and at the end of the month take the top 50 of the trained farmfolk and name them the forest sappers troop. 

Set 500 of the woodsmen to making wooden walls and defencisive fortifications for the towns and villages that support me in the woods, get them to make the walls appear to be little more the high fences to keep out wild animals, but have them reinforced with sharp spikes on the top, and made to withstand attacks by men.

get the last 200 woodsmen to put thier efforts towards making carts that are able to hide men and suplies within secret compartments in the carts and wagons, have any spare labor go towards making firewood and helping peasents.

Have the free farmers work extra hard towards gathering and planting food, and preserving any extra.

Personally Khan shall look for the most able man, with a bow, woodstraining, and loyalty, and name him Khan's right-hand man.  Then look for any men who may have been part of the army, that would be knowladgeable in firearms and swordsmanship, and try to presuade him to become my advisor and lead trainer of men.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:51:26 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 03:27:10 pm »

There won't be any real money management because I want to avoid too much number management, and we've already got 3 types of military units and 5 types of ships to keep track of.
Instead you'll get opportunities to enlist (and lose) men based upon your actions. This could be indeed after defeating another army (especially a good way to capture guns because those are rare), but also being decorated during a siege or defense, or as result of a successful negotiation with another faction. Some events are also dependent on outside factors. For example, when rebel lands are invaded, refugees will flock nearby rebel cities and groups, giving you opportunities to enlist them if you're in the right position.
On the other hand, enlisting too many men all of a sudden might result in a drop of moral or loyalty. A good guideline is that you'll get into trouble if your forces grow with more then 30% in one turn. You then either need to transfer some forces to an independent unit (which will result in an NPC army friendly to you) or risk the chance of mutiny. Of course, if your forces have a high moral and loyalty this isn't going to matter too much.
Likewise, loyalty and morale will go up and down depending on your actions and the rest of the world. If your forces feel you're not doing enough to support their cause, loyalty will drop. If you lose a lot of men, moral will drop. On the other hand, beating enemy armies will increase the morale and loyalty will get a boost if you capture guns or cities.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:31:35 pm by Virex »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »

Kilakan, surely you must know that the Emperor, although not a Democrat (God Forbid) is forced to respect individual's right du to the Great Charter? And that the instability and war that will follow a rebellion will do more to maim, kill and rape innocent wood folks that the Emperor's troops ever did?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 03:37:09 pm »

Duke Ludwig was sitting in his expensively decorated study and was finishing drafting the final of the three letters, two to mercenary leaders and the final to a rebel leader in the forests. As he finished the last one his 3 couriers, waiting for him took the letters and took off with them. A letter to Corwin Cortobel, a Guild master. The second letter to Jonas Whitsleburner, a mercenary captain. The third and final  letter to Oliver Morte, a rebel leader. He asked for they're support for the wars coming and for Oliver he promised supplies and support. The Mercenaries would be handsomely paid of course.
As the couriers left an old man in commoner's clothes was directed in. A smile twindled on Ludwig's mouth. The old man of fragile build was his bastard brother and the best spy of the kingdom.
 " Good day James."
 "Good day Ludwig"
The man was very relaxed and took an apple from a basket that was on a complexly carved cupboard.
 "James, I need you to spy for me a little, I need to know of the Vice-Roy's plans, troop movements, money shipments and where to    pressurise my opponents."
 "Sure my dear brother."
 "Excellent"

After the old man left Ludwig's study, two men in military outfits walked in. One was a navy admiral and the second a general. Ludwig gave the admiral orders to set three patrol ships to patrol his waters and send three patrol ships to pirate the royalists.
To the General he gave orders to prepare 10 cannons for field use and send 500 infantry, 100 cavalry and 5 cannons to the eastern border of Hohnfrem to defend it. Also for him to start training half the reserve for active military duty.
He then dismissed the two men.

Ludwig took his wineglass from the table, stood up and walked to a gigantic window facing his lands. He wondered while taking a zip, if this war was going to end well for him. It was going to be expensive, but things have a cost in this world.

ACTION: Letters to Oliver, Corwin, Khan Le'Giash and Jonas. 500 infantry, 100 cavalry and 5 cannons to the eastern border. Train half the reserve. Three ships to patrol his waters and three ships to pirate the royalist ships. Spy sent out.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:50:52 pm by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 03:41:13 pm »

Virex a question:As I understand it, guns bonus is nullified in woods and calvery give minimal bonus, so my men should be able to utterly decimate a force of about half our size, that has guns and calvery should they attack the forest, due to my troops knowladge of the forest, the armies bonuses being largely nullified, thier lack of knowladge of the terrian and my troops high morale and ambushing training?

Sheb:Who says that if I pledged alliegence to the crown that they would not just use the forest peoples as a cannon fodder force to be press-ganged and pushed into a service that doesn't touch my boarders?  As for actually attacking anyone or starting any war, I'm not activily doing anything, and I don't think we should start allowing other players role-playing thoughts to pre-emptivily change our decisions, kinda breaking the fourth wall there.
Besides if you read the history, the vice-roy is threatening sactions, raising taxes, and already abolishing rights.  Basically the woodspeople would rather be an independant force rather then submit to his taxes and laws.   Besides who  says that anyone living in the woods is innocent, I largely suspect alot of my men are of the criminal persuasion, who fled to the woods to avoid the law in larger towns.
Nom nom nom

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »

Virex a question:As I understand it, guns bonus is nullified in woods and calvery give minimal bonus, so my men should be able to utterly decimate a force of about half our size, that has guns and calvery should they attack the forest, due to my troops knowladge of the forest, the armies bonuses being largely nullified, thier lack of knowladge of the terrian and my troops high morale and ambushing training?
Assuming you get to ambush them (which is usually, unless the enemy deploys spies), then yes, they are going to have a lot of trouble fending off your forces. Remember though, that your equipment level is medium/light. A force with advanced weapons and armor could give you a run for your money. Besides that, ambushing bonuses don't help when attacking a town, so you'll likely have to lock them off from the outside world if you want to conquer them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:45:48 pm by Virex »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »

ah ok then, thanks Virex.

Vagel7:Oliver is a rebel leader in the swamps, I'm the rebel leader in the forests, might wanna fix that, especially since you probably wouldn't know about me.
edit*actually you probably wanted to send a letter to me anyways, I'm alot closer to you, and would be easier for me to send you support, atleast to cut off the Vice-roy's supply lines leading into their attacks on you.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:49:03 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 03:51:24 pm »

ah ok then, thanks Virex.

Vagel7:Oliver is a rebel leader in the swamps, I'm the rebel leader in the forests, might wanna fix that, especially since you probably wouldn't know about me.
edit*actually you probably wanted to send a letter to me anyways, I'm alot closer to you, and would be easier for me to send you support, atleast to cut off the Vice-roy's supply lines leading into their attacks on you.

Done, thanks. Too lazy to change the long text though, only changed the action one.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 03:59:25 pm »

Jonas was an happy man. He was not particularily fond of death and misery, but he was in the business of renting his men, and there was no better business opportunity for him than a civil war. Already, offers were coming from both sides.

The last letter came from a man called Ludwig, a powerful Duke from the Hohnfrem peninsula. The letter itself was rather dull, with the usual promises of unspecified great riches that were usually slow to come.

Taking a piece of the fine and expensive vellum that was reserved for letters to the wealthiest and most powerful, Jonas wrote his usuals answer to such requests.

"Sir,

I am glad you decided we were worthy of your attention. The Crimson Company hold some of the finest blade and sharpest shooters in the land, and surely will be a considerable assets in any War, Inssurrection, Rebellion or Wedding. However, your promises did seems rather weak. With the Great War to come, most legal tender will lost their value, and no Captain in his right mind will risk his men's life for useless paper money.

No, the Crimson Company will be more than ready to serve your cause, but in addition to riches of all kind for my men, I must asl some more useful assets. In return for getting the finest soldiers in the realm under your command, I am asking you for one of your Lordship and one of your Castle. The one overlooking Kesselharb would do nicely.

This, of course, is a great price. But I assure you the Crimson Company will be worth every men and every stone of your walls."

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 04:22:12 pm »

Ludwig, sitting in his garden looking at the peacock flashly walking around. A servant interrupted him at his little moment of piece with a letter. He examined the letter, the paper was expensive and so was the ink on it, the handwriting was in a script, as was right for a man of high class. He told the servant to get him his writing box. When the writing box was on a table in front of him he started writing an answer.

Dear Jonas,

Ah I see that you are unsure of it and want the best for you're men. I can understand that, every rightful and good leader must want the best for his men, they serve his goals and he must look for they're well being.

I cannot right now give you a lordship of a castle, however, I can give you a position at my court and in my castle, as will you're men have a place in my castle. A lordship will be granted to you once I have seen the deeds that you have done. All my castles have lords in them and I hope that you will understand that I can not just give things to whoever I want, I have lords and I do not wish a revolt inside my duchy. I am not as much of a fool as the Emperor is. At first you will be paid by gold and you and the group of mercenaries that you lead, as well as any families they have, are welcomed to my capital for safe haven, they will be looked after well.

I hope that you will see that this offer is far better then the one that the Emperor will give you, if he does win, what will happen? Higher taxes, loss of independence and stripping of rights, even from innocents.

Your's sincerely,
 Ludwig, Duke of Hohnfrem

Ludwig sealed the letter and sent it to it's humble way. The support of mercenaries was much needed as they had good numbers and training, they could also easily walk among the crowds without notice.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 04:37:44 pm »

Those nobles were all the same, expecting him to be a fool and to turn into a servant for some gold that could be taken away at a moment's notice. Even the offer of a safe haven he has gotten many times and always refused. Why would you fill anyone's castle with hundred of potential hostage?

Well, despite his preponderousness, Ludwig was rich, and still powerful. You should never anger a potential client.

Your Lordship

I can fully understand that you do not wish to commit yourself to great expense without being sure you will get a return on your investment. My troops are currently taking position around the city of Denksborg along with the Viceroy's. I am sure that you will have the occasion to see them distingishing themselves in the assault and invasion of the city and that their bravery and skill will convince you that they are worth far more than gold. Gold that we shall have more than enough after the taking of the city anyway.

Yours, Captain Whitsleburner

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2011, 05:04:19 pm »

The letter came late at night, carried by a younge boy who was couvered in mud, seems the poor child had run for quite a ways.  Khan looked at him with a smile, and told the man nearest to him to get the boy all the food he could eat.
Unfolding it, he saw that it was a formal request for support, khan had hoped to avoid open rebellion quite so soon, but alliances ust be made to fight the coming storms.

Hello Lord Lugwid

I shall be blunt, the promise of supplies and help is strange, considering that the supplies would have to come through the Vice-Roy's towns to get here, and as such would draw unwarrented attention to the forest.  However since we are working towards a common goal, I shall promise you that once my people are ready, as the woodsfolk can be slow to rouse, you shall have an ally that can be both reliable and quick to act upon an alliance.  As such, for the next few months, all I can promise is a cutting of all supply lines going towards the towns to your south, and I shall be in touch once a cutting blow to connect our lands is available.

The note is written in a halting print, and signed in blood,
KHAN Le'Graish, the woods pledge aid.
Nom nom nom

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 08:24:52 pm »

Oliver rallies his force in the swamps, the crude palisade constructed, the fort humming along with the sound of training and lessons in everything for swamp survival to healing. He receives the letter for a small boy, a former street urchin, while out in a marsh sparring with one of his captains, a man who used to be a dockhand. He puzzles over the letter for a while, the flowing script very different from his plain printing and the expensive inks and paper a bit strange, in his opinion, for a friendly letter. Oliver never had much time for people with regal titles in the guild, he found they were lazy and didn't like to work. Merchants and traders were fine; they worked to get their money and you knew where they stand, but aristocrats were another matter. At long last, he figures out every word in the letter and laughs. Did they think he was stupid?

If he helped this noble, he'd get supplies, which would be nice. If he succeeded in his rebellion, though, Oliver would just be swept aside. There'd be no guarantee of reform, of any Dechsk being re-instated. What's to say Oliver wouldn't be betrayed and sold out to the Vice-Roy? One noble can't be trusted with another, especially when Oliver could be sold out as a bargaining chip. Still, best to not anger those who are in power, for now, at least. A quick reply is written in Oliver's blocky printing.

Mister Lugwid,

As kind as your very nice letter was, I decline to take any help from you because it's far too early to pledge allegiance to one faction or another. I do not want a debt to you, when we haven't met or discussed tactics or plans or none of that. I shall make my own way to start, but I shall not fight against you. We all fight the same enemy, but we do not all fight for the same purpose. Good luck, and we shall talk further later. Tip the boy, he's a good runner.

Oliver IRON. Free the Dechsk!

Oliver hands the letter to the urchin, nods, and the boy runs off to deliver the letter. Oliver heads back into the fort and rallies his people with a cry of, "Allies and fighting friends! Today is the day we start our march to liberate our brothers in Meskhabn! I shall be taking most of the force with me, leaving a hundred men behind to guard our swamp and expand our home. My seven hundred troops and I shall march on to free the Dechsk and to victory and glory!"

A rallying cry goes up from the assembled men. Oliver smiles and writes down orders for his spies in Axessven to report in enemy garrison numbers, troop morale, and how well-equipped their foes were. If they captured a few fishing ships at Meskhabn, they could attack Axessven next. Oliver stops. One thing at a time...

ACTION: Send reply to Lugwid. Take 700 men, with Oliver as general, and capture Meskhabn while leaving a hundred men behind to occupy and expand the swamp and its fortifications. Have spies report in garrison status of Axessven.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:42:22 pm by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 05:02:15 pm »

Just popping in to say I've collected all the actions and that the next turn should be up tomorrow night. If you have any requests for information or maps, don't hesitate to post.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11