Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Rebellion! Turn 5: Time for a prison break, m'lord?  (Read 11195 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellion! Turn 3: KA-BOOM!
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »

As you want. With the mess you did, we should be able to invade the city anyway.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2011, 03:55:40 pm »

This was strange and usual, it doesn't stand that the empire seems so disorganized.  Well we shall have to just hurry, and if they really are in such dismay attack soon.

Continue the evacuation, and attempt to commander guns and swords for 200 men from the town and anywhere else we can find them, equip 200 farmers with them and keep them training under the sword, but avoid using too much ammunition.

Get the sappers to organize any available men to set massive lines of traps around the evacuation route, in preparation for any potential empire attacks.  Keep everyone on guard.

Set about turning the surviving scouts to the rebels cause, and if any agree and seem honest, get them to counter spy for me in the surrounding lands, keeping their guise as empire scouts.
Nom nom nom

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2011, 03:58:43 pm »

Ludwig was sitting in his library with a man on the other seat. He was reading the letter from the major and as he finished he smiled and just said "That poor fat bastard" and handed the letter to the man. The tall flimsy man sitting next to him took the letter and read it, he also smiled. Ludwig wrote a letter saying this:

Dear Major,

I see that you received my letter, however that is not the way a gentleman responds to another gentleman. Actually I have a proposal to you. You will either surrender the town to me OR you will die. I suggest you to surrender and if you do, you and you're family will be able to leave the town with all of you're possessions safely and no harm will come to you.

Sincerely,
Ludwig, Duke.

Ludwig sealed the letter with his wax stamp and handed it to the man.
"Take you're apprentice and go to the town, there fasten the letter to the majors night stand while he is asleep. If he does not comply I will give you further instructions. Remember, you're life is more important than anybodies there."
The man took the letter and walked out of the room. He was no ordinary man either, he was old, 60 years of age but an excellent assassin.

ACTION:Assassin with letter to the major. Repair the frigate, continue training of troops and also take five cannons and start training troops to use them. The men at war with the imperial forces shall silently retreat and setup another ambush not far. Continue pirating.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2011, 06:11:21 pm »

Don't you want to shoot at the town again?

Also, if it isn't clear, I'm going to attack this turn even if my mission to nail the gun fail. And ask the general to do likewise.

It seems like the attack last turn was more of a lucky fluke than anything. Frigates are expensive and probably take a while to build / are hard to recruit I imagine, so until I have a better supply, I don't want to risk my last two against more fire ships :(
Yeah I was rolling for your attack and it basically went like this:
Roll for attack power: Well, that's a stalemate.
Roll for damage: You endured some damage and.. HOLY HELL you just killed a fifth of the garrison....

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2011, 12:41:22 pm »

Don't you want to shoot at the town again?

Also, if it isn't clear, I'm going to attack this turn even if my mission to nail the gun fail. And ask the general to do likewise.

It seems like the attack last turn was more of a lucky fluke than anything. Frigates are expensive and probably take a while to build / are hard to recruit I imagine, so until I have a better supply, I don't want to risk my last two against more fire ships :(
Yeah I was rolling for your attack and it basically went like this:
Roll for attack power: Well, that's a stalemate.
Roll for damage: You endured some damage and.. HOLY HELL you just killed a fifth of the garrison....

Totally my plan all along! >.> ..... <.< /shifty eyes

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2011, 05:16:53 am »

If my army conquers the enemy let the officer give them a good speech and offer them to join me. Obviously you don't have to write a speech.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:22:09 am by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2011, 06:49:44 am »

I hope you realize that that's a good way to set yourself up for enemy espionage operations?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2011, 08:35:23 am »

Any ETA on update Virex?

I mean, it's worth the wait. :)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2011, 10:02:01 am »

It's kinda busy over here (several concurrent assignments for the uni), so if I don't get to it tonight, expect it Tuesday.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2011, 02:52:16 pm »

Hmm, good point, kill them all so they can't join the enemy armies again.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2011, 06:07:33 pm »

Ooooh I'm going to have so much fun with your turn....

Anyway, today wasn't it, so expect an update Tuesday.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2011, 10:46:15 am »

Ooooh I'm going to have so much fun with your turn....

Anyway, today wasn't it, so expect an update Tuesday.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. It's worth the wait!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2011, 06:09:55 pm »

OK time for a new turn. I wrote a little script that'll handle combat for me, but apparently it reports all numbers as floats, hence the change of format.
Also, a little song to accompany this update

ACTIONS: Add the prisoners to the construction force. Have the construction force work on building a prison large enough to fit a hundred men. Treat the prisoners well, break the legs of any attempted escapees. Send a letter to the Vice-Roy offering freedom for the 53 men in exchange for the freedom of the Dechsk.

Go on a recruiting drive in Meskhabn, try to recruit men with combat experience. Ask that the smiths in Meskhabn start making weapons for the army.

Start a training program for all military forces.

Good news arrived from Axxesvenn. The men you sent arrived safely and have made contact with local rebel groups. They are not yet able to take on the garrison and are awaiting reinforcements and new orders.

The prisoners are holding themselves rather quiet, enduring the captivity. Their prison will soon be finished. The vice-roy replied to your request with a cold "no" and added the demand to release them immediately and unconditionally, lest repercussions follow.

Weapon forging and training has started. Recruitment rallies in Meskhabn have thus far yielded 250 new militia. They're equiped with crude weapons and armor (+0.2 bonus each) and have low morale and loyalty.

The man with the broken leg will be left in an inn to rest. Me and the nine others will recruit some men murderers, bandits and the like. We'll also buy some weapons. Once we're ready, we'll nails the guns on the battlements (Driving a nail in the touch hole preventing them from being fired and send the signals for the attack. Without artillery, the place should be taken rather quickly.

You see a chance in all the confusion caused by the explosion and start to collect a little following of vagabonds and men of dubious moral and you manage to collect some guns as well. It's not much but you'll get backup from the empire anyway. One fateful night you nail as many guns as you can before someone finds out what you're doing and give the sign at daybreak. Unfortunately the rebels quickly realize what has happened and your men have to make a run for it, taking shelter in abandoned warehouses, praying the empire will provide the required distraction.

Spoiler: Attaaaaack! (click to show/hide)
(yes I realize I made a typo in the strength of the Crimson Company's cavalry, but since it's in the advantage of the losing army and I already based a part of the turn on it, I'm not changing that)
Unfortunately, the news of your operation has leaked throughout the imperial army and the men, hoping to be the first to plunder the town run practically in front of their own guns. The rebels, managing to regain their posture and figure out how to repair some of their cannons, easily drive back the attackers who are now being mascaraed both by their own guns and the rain of musket shots coming from the walls. The remaining army, realizing the situation is hopeless, flees into the hinterlands. Having lost almost their entire army, the imperial generals have to break up the siege, leaving you trapped in a hostile city...

Actions: I must undertake the quest to meet Achel Misserbern-Pyrus shall do this along with six of his most loyal men, well armed and supplied. If we find him, indicate I may be able to reunite him with the vice-roy's daughter eventually, if he still wished such a thing.

My assassins are to be sent on missions to liberate gold from the local imperial supporters-nobles, tax collectors, caravans and banks.

Ask Egard if he can lend his own men to help with robbery and murder-assuming we'll split all profits 50/50.

Question the political prisoners I freed to see if they have useful skills-such as engineering, weapon or armorsmithing, writing/speechmaking etc.
Finding Misserbern is going to take you at least a month if not more. Before you leave you strike a deal with Egard to terrorize the local nobles and tax collectors and liberate their goods. You just hope this'll go well. Egard promised he wouldn't put you at risk, but you don't know how well his men can be trusted.

Amongst the liberated prisoners there were several scholars and scribes, a few smiths, an architect and surprisingly many teachers...

After having consulted the men for their use and giving them orders, you set into the forest, hoping to return with the trust of the woodsmen.

Actions:

- Inquire with the smiths in Cessfann about commissioning new artillery.

- Speak with military brass to see if they have any special missions on offer for my merc groups.

- Have the Mercenary forces in Osbord (375 inf, 60 cav) travel to Denskbord to help in the siege.

Mercenary Guild Forces
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You got lucky according to the master gunsmith. Just recently a shipment of advanced artillery arrived in Cessfenn, 600 pieces of them, though the local garrison doesn't know the exact number. For a fair price he could strike a deal with the captain, netting you 150 guns. That fair price would amount to 2 months worth of salary for your men and they would certainly not be pleased to hear they wouldn't get payed for 2 months. On the other hand, 150 high quality guns is nothing to sneer at...

Apparently the garrison of Cessfenn and Middbord were preparing for a large marine operation and they were looking for more ships. Besides that, merchants going to Rindreth have come increasingly under attack recently and they are requesting protection. Success in either operation would net you a sizable reward and some goodwill with the Empire.

Your men that were sent to the Denskbord arrive at the scene of a massacre. The biggest part of the besieging army lies bleeding to death before the walls, while the rest is retreating. While most of them are just running for their lives, a small groups is attempting to make an orderly retreat. Being unable to do anything more for the Empire, your men secure their retreat and provide them with medical care and rations. They turn out to be the Crimson Company and they refuse to leave the Denskbord even though the siege was broken, as their leader is caught in the rebel city.

Continue the evacuation, and attempt to commander guns and swords for 200 men from the town and anywhere else we can find them, equip 200 farmers with them and keep them training under the sword, but avoid using too much ammunition.

Get the sappers to organize any available men to set massive lines of traps around the evacuation route, in preparation for any potential empire attacks.  Keep everyone on guard.

Set about turning the surviving scouts to the rebels cause, and if any agree and seem honest, get them to counter spy for me in the surrounding lands, keeping their guise as empire scouts.

You manage to complete the evacuation, liberating a total of 650 men from the Ochsfrem.
Spoiler: Assasination Attempt! (click to show/hide)
Apparently not all 650 of them were rebels though. Several days after the last cart was reeled in you inspected the camp, but you were attacked by assassins that hid amongst the refugees in the midst of the night. You and your personal guard managed to fend them off, but one of them managed to make a deep cut across your face and chest, heavily wounding your left eye. You'll be in bandages for at least a few months and the camp doctor doubts that you'll be able to use your left eye ever again, but he assures you that the chance of infection is low. 4 of the assassins managed to flee, but you have 1 of them held captive. One other assassin was later found death in one of your traps.

Although trap system has been set up in order to tackle any direct attacks from the Ochsfrem, you're afraid it may be a mixed blessing. The forests at your east border have become dangerous to navigate to anyone but your sappers due to the difficulty in detecting their traps and Per Ochfield has been 'disappearing' into that part of the woods more and more often...

None of the Imperial scouts have yielded under the pressure yet, although there is one who's visually having trouble with his alignment. You think you could convince him if you'd find a way to get the fear of repercussion out of him.

ACTION:Assassin with letter to the major. Repair the frigate, continue training of troops and also take five cannons and start training troops to use them. The men at war with the imperial forces shall silently retreat and setup another ambush not far. Continue pirating.
Your 'message' apparently left an impression. The major sent you a second letter offering his apology for the rude way he treated you. He also says that due to the military presence in Iddenberth and the importance of it's harbor, it might be best not to alert them immediately by replacing him. He offers instead to help with infiltrating the city and garrison, so the city can be taken without having to deal with a fully fortified garrison. He also claims that him leaving the town would just turn it into an Imperial garrison outpost that would be a major threat to your claims.

Your amry set up an ambush near a forested hill.
Spoiler: Ambush (click to show/hide)
Your men managed to strike the enemy in the back, disabling their cannons before anyone could bring them to bear. The ferocity of the attack takes the enemy completely by surprise and they are slaughtered by the dozen. As you ordered, all of them are beheaded and their heads are paraded around camp on stakes. Your men make a sport out of kicking the heads of the dead soldiers into a net. Others are caught cooling their rage on the defaced and beheaded body of an enemy officer...

Your ships manage to capture nothing today. They did spot a fleet of ships far out near the Dhransjind carrying the flag of an unknown province in addition to that of the Empire. They estimate the fleet contains at least 15 ships of the line and copious other ships.

Updated map and player status will follow later, as it is waaay to late for that now...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:11:28 pm by Virex »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellion! Turn 3: Life-fire Charge of the Lightbrigade reenactment ho!
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2011, 07:12:10 pm »

Wow, what a turn! Definitely did not expect the siege to be broken like that!

The loyalists are having little luck it seems!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellion! Turn 3: Life-fire Charge of the Lightbrigade reenactment ho!
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2011, 07:15:56 pm »

hahahaah yessssss eye-patch and massive scar from a survived assassination attempt, that is just hardcore.  I also known how to get that scout, and I think it shall be more then enough payback to the assassins.
Also Virex, I was kinda wanting my eastern border to become a death-trap filled hell-hole.  As for Per Occfield....... did you just mean that it is taking him longer to navigate each time or should I be worried?
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11