Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PsP? Trading in, Not worth keeping...  (Read 2286 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: PsP? Trading in, Not worth keeping...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 04:31:38 pm »

Hack the shit out of that thing, I have been doing that to mine for years now, best decision always.
That's the reason I decided on a PSP over DS anyday. If there's anything I can get out of it, it's the processing power of it, and all the things it can do with homebrew stuff and an enhanced firmware.

I mean, outside of the PSP features that came with it (video (Format Factory is a godsend here), images, music) I get to play the Game Gear in a (more) lightweight handheld form again (plus games I always wanted for it as well, and without the hassle of changing cartridges), I can play Gameboy games handheld and so on (with the added options that emulators provide *cough*savestates*cough*; and the additional buttons for rapid-fire). So what if UMDs are no longer being made? Most of the games I have on it are digitally in there anyway (except the 3 games I have UMD anyhow; let's not forget, I can play internationally (no longer US-game bound) since cracking it), and even so, I play my emulated games more than the PSP games anyhow. It's still one of my smarter investments, considering all the use I've gotten out of it so far. Makes long trips more tolerable, and lunch breaks more fun; and having at least 2 4GB flash drives does help.

I kinda wish the firmware guys kept up to date though. (Looking at you M33 (still at 5.00 M33-6)). To play it safe, got myself a Pandora battery in case I brick it. So far, no brick.

EDIT:
Dissidia is pretty fun and somewhat worth it, but there will be grind sessions here and there. Easy grinding AP-wise, just keep on killing lvl 1 characters until you master skills on a +AP day, and if you don't want to level up in the process, make sure a +EXP day is not on.

If you want to get achievements, but not want to affect your story run (like me, AP > EXP, for fun's sake; or keep a low level), just unlock a character on the dark side, and play as them instead.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:47:25 pm by Itnetlolor »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »

Hack the shit out of that thing, I have been doing that to mine for years now, best decision always.
That's the reason I decided on a PSP over DS anyday. If there's anything I can get out of it, it's the processing power of it, and all the things it can do with homebrew stuff and an enhanced firmware.

I mean, outside of the PSP features that came with it (video (Format Factory is a godsend here), images, music) I get to play the Game Gear in a (more) lightweight handheld form again (plus games I always wanted for it as well, and without the hassle of changing cartridges), I can play Gameboy games handheld and so on (with the added options that emulators provide *cough*savestates*cough*; and the additional buttons for rapid-fire). So what if UMDs are no longer being made? Most of the games I have on it are digitally in there anyway (except the 3 games I have UMD anyhow; let's not forget, I can play internationally (no longer US-game bound) since cracking it), and even so, I play my emulated games more than the PSP games anyhow. It's still one of my smarter investments, considering all the use I've gotten out of it so far. Makes long trips more tolerable, and lunch breaks more fun; and having at least 2 4GB flash drives does help.

I kinda wish the firmware guys kept up to date though. (Looking at you M33 (still at 5.00 M33-6)). To play it safe, got myself a Pandora battery in case I brick it. So far, no brick.

EDIT:
Dissidia is pretty fun and somewhat worth it, but there will be grind sessions here and there. Easy grinding AP-wise, just keep on killing lvl 1 characters until you master skills on a +AP day, and if you don't want to level up in the process, make sure a +EXP day is not on.

If you want to get achievements, but not want to affect your story run (like me, AP > EXP, for fun's sake; or keep a low level), just unlock a character on the dark side, and play as them instead.

The M33 shit is going to be really slow from here on out if at all, I've been using TN HEN on my psp bright, shit's pretty great, and it's patched so you dont even have to hack your psp anymore, it just runs like a regular program now.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 09:25:02 am »

Tomorrows the day.
Good bye all the good games, good bye all the crap.
PsP was never truely loved in Australia, I always feel saddened when I enter my Gamestores and see nothing on the shelves.
So good bye to Sony and PsP, The Ps2 is all I have that remains of your Brand.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 01:24:01 am »

Same boat here. I sold mine after playing the three games that were made for non idiots and then there was no more to it.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 12:48:36 pm »

I guess if he's trying to get some money back or trade for something he'll find more useful, that makes sense. All the main emulators exist on the PC anyway, and if he doesn't travel a lot, he won't miss it for that reason either.

I personally couldn't part with mine, though. It somehow feels a lot cooler playing emulators on a handheld, rather than a keyboard. Anyone else think so? Plus I don't have an iPod or anything, so it's also my go-to device for mobile media playing on long trips, so I get quite a lot of use out of it.

It was also the first console I purchased for myself, with my own money. Sentimental value. <3
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 01:53:06 pm »

I cracked my PSP one week after getting it. And yes, Moogie, I don't want to play emulated titles on anything else.

The ability to play ToME 2, Shiren the Wanderer, POWDER, NES, SNES, Genesis, X-COM, and several Capcom arcade games like Marvel Vs. Capcom on the go makes it my go-to over the DS.

I also played FF VII on it way before it was put on PSN.  :P

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »

I've now a phone that cost less, actually fit in a pocket, has double the battery and generally provide more entertainment than what the psp ever did.

when I realized that, I've sold the psp and never looked back. seriously, there were so much lame titles and the psp was so much unwieldy for a portable system that I was almost never using it on my hour commute to work.

Tsachin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 10:27:14 pm »

Look on the PSP Classified on here. The market seems to fluctuate, more stock = less prices. But right now even a phat PSP running CFW is fetching £50, which tells me I gave my old PSP + games away two months ago  Oh well. Anyway, obviously you can scale up with a lite PSP. Don't think the games will add too much value as the high street is flooded with second hand trade-ins. I know, sucks

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 10:34:21 pm »

Keep the PSP, and hack it. Then pirate some games*. That should keep you entertained for a while.

(*piracy websites found separately)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 10:58:43 pm »

Wow Necro much...
This was buried far far far back in MAY...
I have long sold my PSP, got myself a DSLite, then upgraded to a 3DS...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 11:01:52 pm »

Not just a necro, but a spambot necro :P
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 02:49:04 am »

Not just a necro, but a spambot necro :P

An incredibly relevant spambot necro, no less. Props to botman for using the search function.
Pages: 1 [2]