Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Battle for Wesnoth, thread the second  (Read 11813 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Battle for Wesnoth, thread the second
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:18 pm »

Interest get! Downloading dev version.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2011, 01:24:17 pm »

Ok, should be starting up the game about now then.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2011, 08:50:45 pm »

Whelp. I am here. Got a while maybe. Anyone want a game?

(I still suck.)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »

Okay. 1.9.6 though?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2011, 10:02:10 pm »

Ah crap. I got distracted (by Battle for Wesnoth of all things) and forgot the check this thread. Sorry.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »

I got interested and played this game quite a bit a while ago, before I realized how poorly the RNG was.  It's kind of frustrating to miss something several turns in a row when you have a 90% chance to hit it.  After that, it became an affair of reloading the game almost constantly, which became mindlessly enraging.

Still, it's a fun, unique game that allows for a lot of fun moments.  There's just that one drawback that turned me off.

...Which is why I'm downloading it again.

dangit.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2011, 11:46:23 pm »

I have not noticed that myself as I have been playing. Sure, some times I run into a string of bad luck, but after all, missing three 90% in a row should happen 1 in 1,000 times, but it sticks around in the mind so much longer.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2011, 12:15:46 am »

The RNG is fine.  Read up on general strategy and try playing the default campaign.  Note how when you play well, using the terrain and unit placement to their fullest advantage, suddenly all that bad luck and dice fuckery seems to disappear.
Shoes...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2011, 09:11:03 am »

Heh, I am a bad strategist. :-\

Maybe they've fixed the RNG since the last time I played.  I remember it being a common problem, but maybe it's a non-issue, now.  Or maybe I just had a string of bad luck and fault the entire system for it.  :P

I'll poke at it and see.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:29 am »

I'd like to join if you have space for newbies. not the next one, but sometime later if there is anyone around.

so, it's 1.9.6 that I need to download?

I haven't played this in ages.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2011, 12:03:31 pm »

I've missed 4 70% chances in a row far more than the 1 in however many thousand chance would indicate. I've also hit 4 30% chances in a row far more than the 1 in x thousand chance would indicate. The RNG is (Or used to be) streaky. It evens out, but when you just lost your favourite unit to a troll hitting on all 3 of his 30%s, it really does get pretty damn annoying.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2011, 12:13:07 pm »

Man, trolls are beasts. I just started the first campaign, and even the whelps are kicking ass. They are as strong as a horse man, but anywhere  and with regeneration.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2011, 12:30:54 pm »

Man, trolls are beasts. I just started the first campaign, and even the whelps are kicking ass. They are as strong as a horse man, but anywhere  and with regeneration.
But weak against ranged attacks, and slow, which can cost you. They do have the advantage of doing crush damage, which very few units have resistance to. Frankly, my favorite unit is the orcish archers. They've got that nasty fire attack which works so well. I'd generally go for a mix of 50% archers, then 25% trolls and 25% grunts for my main force. Though naturally wolf riders are good for the fast attack.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2011, 12:48:56 pm »

I"m telling you guys, there's nothing wrong with the RNG.  I played almost through the campaign (My laptop died in the mission with the three horselords and I never got around to finishing) and didn't have any trouble with luck.  If you're in a position where a roll of the die, even an all-but-guaranteed roll, will win or lose the game, you made a mistake.
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2011, 01:02:12 pm »

I've missed 4 70% chances in a row far more than the 1 in however many thousand chance would indicate. I've also hit 4 30% chances in a row far more than the 1 in x thousand chance would indicate.
That's a little less than three percent chance, or once per thirtyfourty combat rolls, not "one in thousands".
This things do happen, and you need to plan for them. Many people treat BfW as if it were an RPG, getting attached to their units, and then throw a fit when they die. Treat it like a strategy - your job is not to be invincible, but to minimize the chances of your units fucking up. Whomever does this better wins.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:27:47 pm by Il Palazzo »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12