Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Zero Punctuation  (Read 15234 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Punctuation
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 09:01:58 am »

Yahtzee doesnt like strategy games, or management games much. Hence few of his reviews covering them. He hammered halo wars (understandably, but he also digs at strategy games in general in this review), and ive heard him deride the total war games at least once etc. his objections stem from not liking complex interfaces and managing lists of information etc - "this feels like work". If he feels that way about what many people on this forum would consider the casual end of strategy and management games, he wont like DF.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 01:27:16 pm »

I haaaaaaaaaaaate ZP. No.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »

He doesn't do alphas I believe >> DF is still an alpha, and from his previous reviews, it's pretty much a good guess that he'd give it a bad review in it's current form (and earn the ire of all the fans of DF) so I doubt he ever will :P not until the final release when the interface makes sense, Toady chooses an official graphic's pack, and the game play is smoothed out >>
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 07:54:58 pm »

WellIrecievedanemailfromadwarffortressfanrecently,themailreadthis"YATHZEEEEEREVIEWDORFFURTRUSSIT'SVEREGUD"

UnfortunatelyIcouldn'tseemtofindwhatlanguagehewasspeaking,butnoticedthephrasedorffurtruss

IdirectlygoogleditandfoundagamewithASCIIgraphics,whatthehell!

ThewebsitewasabitfriendlysoIclickedthedownloadbuttonandgotthegame

Iextractedfilesandpoppedthegameup,alittlemainmenuwaswaitingmewithsomefewoptions

Notutorialofanykindnotsurewhattodo,seriouslyguyswhathaveyoudone!

WellaftersomesearchingImanagedtofindaguideanddidwhatitsaidtotheend

Followingthatguidewasapaininthearse,becausewiththoselettersfillingmyscreenIseriouslycouldn'tgetwhatwaswhere

Dwarffortressseemedtobeasandboxgamebutunlikeminecraftoranysandboxgameit'sveryuserhatingandaseriouslyannoyinggamewithit'sgraphics

Itdoesn'tallowyoutodoanythingandjustpunchesyouinthefacewiththosesmileyfacesstaringatyouandsaying"ALT+F4NAO"

True story
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:03 pm »

Well, it's too bad that you

a) don't like research
b) don't seem interested in asking questions from the community (in fact, seem moreso interested in flaming it)
c) expect all games to be shallow, intuitive-on-all-levels, and similar to other programs
d) hate the spacebar

So, um, cheers. Don't take it out on the dwarves, though. They haven't done anything to you — you didn't give 'em the chance to.

edit: Not directed toward you, but toward the mindset.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2011, 03:08:55 am »

I think he got the yahtzee feel down quite well.

It amuses and depresses me that people can take his reviews at face value consistently. He's an entertainer and no one wants to hear bright, glowing praise for every game ever. If you want that, check the game company's page, they'll tell you exactly how mind-bogglingly awesome it was (Big Rigs Over the Road Racing has some positive review somewhere. I guarantee it). You guys think Angry Video Game Nerd really only has starched white shirts with pocket protectors in them as his entire wardrobe? It's the same thing.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2011, 03:19:51 am »

Between the entire escapist turning into a bioware fanboy/shill club and that one of their senior editors admitting in a news item that the only reason they haven't banned about 20.000(ie, half the site) people they don't like is because they want the ad revenue, I think it would be best if we stopped giving the whole mess attention they don't deserve.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2011, 03:32:58 am »

I think he got the yahtzee feel down quite well.

It amuses and depresses me that people can take his reviews at face value consistently. He's an entertainer and no one wants to hear bright, glowing praise for every game ever. If you want that, check the game company's page, they'll tell you exactly how mind-bogglingly awesome it was (Big Rigs Over the Road Racing has some positive review somewhere. I guarantee it). You guys think Angry Video Game Nerd really only has starched white shirts with pocket protectors in them as his entire wardrobe? It's the same thing.

What is odd is that he points out many times that his job is to find a fault in the game no matter how small it may be (though some of his earlier videos seemed to have more leeway for him to like a game) and that many of the games he reviews he likes.

Plus he outright admits to having a bias. He actually doesn't have a wide taste in games but a rather narrow and limited set pretty much exclusive to shooters.

There are two reasons I even watch it
1) It can be pretty funny (Though I don't like his battery of sex jokes)
2) Sometimes he makes a really really good point... the kind of point where I'd read an article or a whole video on but that only gets a mention in his review.

I mean... I've seen really really poor joke reviews before (DANG IT Nostalgia Chick... you only seen 5 episodes didn't you?)

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2011, 04:02:49 am »

Well, it's too bad that you

a) don't like research
b) don't seem interested in asking questions from the community (in fact, seem moreso interested in flaming it)
c) expect all games to be shallow, intuitive-on-all-levels, and similar to other programs
d) hate the spacebar

So, um, cheers. Don't take it out on the dwarves, though. They haven't done anything to you — you didn't give 'em the chance to.

edit: Not directed toward you, but toward the mindset.

These are not my thoughts but an impression on what would the review of DF on ZP would be like

I like Dwarf Fortress
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 09:54:31 pm »

I watch Yahtzee every Wednesday, and I think that he is one of the only game reviewers who is not an industry shill.

With that aside, let me point out that Yahtzee found the interface and gameplay of the Witcher to be too complicated.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 10:23:29 pm »

I like Yathzee's reviews, though I take them more as a "fun thing to watch when you're bored" rather then an actual review. I remember him describing demon's souls in a negative  tone because he found the game to be too hard.
So yea, Often times yathzee likes games that put you quick into action without alot of introduction or the need to actualy learn anything in order to play. Whats his favorite game of all time? Portal, and portal gives you almost no introduction and has nearly no UI or micromanagement to take care of. Its all "here's your stuff and your goal, do something about it".

In order to unlock DF's fun potential you have to struggle with it and learn from your mistakes, and laugh at them. To me, half the fun is talking on the forums about my massive failures/sucesses and then trying something even more epic later. Yathzee just wouldn't be able to get past the UI and learning curve to enjoy it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2011, 11:05:22 pm »

These are not my thoughts but an impression on what would the review of DF on ZP would be like

I like Dwarf Fortress

Me too. :)
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2011, 11:12:23 pm »

In order to unlock DF's fun potential you have to struggle with it and learn from your mistakes, and laugh at them. To me, half the fun is talking on the forums about my massive failures/sucesses and then trying something even more epic later. Yathzee just wouldn't be able to get past the UI and learning curve to enjoy it.

I think a lot of fun is taken out of it for newcomers because beyond the obtuse UI, the failures you want to see, or any failures at all, you have to WORK towards them most of the time. Success is even harder. I don't think it's the concept that bothers most people so much as the amount of effort. And for "mainstream gamers" (loaded term), reading ASCII and learning the UI and UI theory is all part of the effort.

I personally would not have been so quick to put so much effort into learning DF if before first getting into it I didn't have a gigantic hard on for anything that uses procedural generation ever. I learned the game just to see all of the procedurally generated stuff, and I came back because it's a darned fun game.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:04 pm »

omg....yatzhee reviewing this game...i can only imagine it XD itd be AMAZING!!!
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2011, 01:53:17 am »

Unlikely to happen and might be disappointing. He's at his best turning lowbrow reviews of lowbrow games into lowbrow entertainment. He seems to like mild innovation, but only if it doesn't require him to put in any additional effort.

Give him a game that doesn't respect mainstream conventions and the usual rants become rather pointless. Dwarf Fortress being obtuse, I Wanna Be the Guy being evil, Elona being WYSIWTF-compliant... they're all very much aware of that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6