Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mod for dwarf integrity?  (Read 3398 times)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod for dwarf integrity?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 12:56:14 pm »

One thing worth noting in the current version is that individual dwarves will take offense ("A masterwork of theirs has been destroyed") if they make masterwork crossbow bolts and the last one gets broken from being used. This is dumb, but it happens, it's a pretty big happiness hit, and I've had a couple of dwarves tantrum from it. Luckily they were not aggressive types, so far, and mostly just sat down and bawled a lot until they got over it.

*** INACCURACY UPDATE ***

Checked the wiki - it's not when bolts get used up, it's when things run away with bolts stuck in them that causes the mood hit. (If they're stolen, the game will tell you.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:37:33 pm by loose nut »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 02:29:41 pm »

That's been pretty well fixed from how it used to be, though, in that the hit to happiness is now basically based on what proportion of all that dwarf's masterworks have been destroyed.  If he's only made two masterpiece thrones and one of them is destroyed, you're guaranteed instant unhappiness, but your cook with thousands of masterwork meals will take the loss of one or two well in stride.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 03:01:53 pm »

You can mod the creature entry for dwarves and remove their ability to become unhappy completely.
I did that when I made a civ for myself. They are all "Quite Content", and stay that way no matter what happens.
I don't recall which token you need to add, though..

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 03:03:12 pm »

You can mod the creature entry for dwarves and remove their ability to become unhappy completely.
I did that when I made a civ for myself. They are all "Quite Content", and stay that way no matter what happens.
I don't recall which token you need to add, though..
[NOTHOUGHT]
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 04:20:00 pm »

If he's only made two masterpiece thrones and one of them is destroyed, you're guaranteed instant unhappiness, but your cook with thousands of masterwork meals will take the loss of one or two well in stride.
Won't all the meals soon be eaten or rot, making the cook unhappy? In order to stay happy, does he have to keep on producing masterwork meals at a faster and faster rate, to counterbalance all those that have been destroyed so far, like a pyramid scheme?

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 04:24:27 pm »

Yeah, things like masterwork bolts and meals that are made to be used up shouldn't hurt the crafter's feelings when god forbid that happens. Good to know about the proportionality, however.

As a matter of fact (suggestion territory here) it could be a happiness bonus for a dwarf if one of his masterworks was used well. "Urist was pleased to serve the king a legendary feast lately." "Urist was greatly pleased that his masterwork bolt slew the dragon Agnew the Forgotten Sunders of Butter lately." Or, I guess, vice versa could apply: "Urist was annoyed that his legendary meal was used to feed a prisoner lately." "Urist was annoyed that his masterwork bolt was used to slay a rhesus macaque lately."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:29:36 pm by loose nut »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 04:25:49 pm »

When bolts or meals disappear through use it doesn't create a bad thought; only rotting, theft, etc do.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 04:26:10 pm »

If he's only made two masterpiece thrones and one of them is destroyed, you're guaranteed instant unhappiness, but your cook with thousands of masterwork meals will take the loss of one or two well in stride.
Won't all the meals soon be eaten or rot, making the cook unhappy? In order to stay happy, does he have to keep on producing masterwork meals at a faster and faster rate, to counterbalance all those that have been destroyed so far, like a pyramid scheme?
No, because thoughts, happy and unhappy, only last ~6-12 months, and the magnitude of the masterwork-loss unhappy thought is directly related to how many masterworks a dwarf has made, not how many exist. So, a dwarf who has made 100 masterworks will take a minor 10-point unhappy thought for every masterwork lost. If they lose 50 all at once, they'll be miserable, but if they lose 50 over the course of several years, they won't really care.

Also, eating masterwork meals doesn't cause unhappy thoughts. They aren't "lost" in that case.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 04:38:13 pm »

Duly noted – I edited my post above after checking the wiki to see what is actually happening.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 12:37:09 pm »

Just as an update, in my last game I went and made a massive dining hall, though not quite as lavish per pound, and am doing quite nicely, having survived multiple sieges and two forgotten beasts. My immediate problem is somewhat "solved." However, I still think for the sake of better and more intuitive gameplay that dwarves who generally have friendships, despite losses, should be far more stable than lonely dwarf immigrants locked up alone in a holding pen for a year.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:49 pm »

You're expecting dwarves to be rational?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 02:21:21 pm »

No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »

Something else you may be able to try is to force all Dwarves to not "really care about anything anymore", which from what I understand just prevents them from becoming unhappy when a friend or pet dies.
I noticed that every single member of my civ has this trait, and it's not due to [NOTHOUGHT] or [NOEMOTION], as I tested that earlier.

I don't know if this is due to one of the other tokens my civ uses or the boosted mental and/or physical attributes they have.
I will experiment later to find out exactly what it is that I've done causes this.

Edit: Well, I figured out what's causing it. And it's something completely unexpected.. Apparently, setting certain skills to 20 in the creature raws will make all of them not really care about anything.
All you need do is add, for example, [NATURAL_SKILL:DAGGER:20] to the entry for Dwarves.

I did a quick test to see how it affects happiness when they lose a friend.
I set four of the original seven Dwarves on fire after they made friends with one another, and the surviving three were only upset at being drafted into the military. That was by no means a proper, thorough test, but from what little I've seen so far it really does seem to work.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:55:17 pm by Steele »

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 09:50:49 pm »

Dwarf 1 running around on fire.
Dwarf 2: "Heh. That's hot."

Actually I think I'll put my animal pen above the training area, along with a very small hole and retracting bridge in the middle, linked to a goblin-powered repeating switch.

Hopefully this will soon result in a bunch of death-inured dorfs thanks to the sacrifices of patriotic kittens and puppies whenever the pen gets crowded.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:38 pm »

I can't believe you guys are even considering removing friendship from the game.
Although, it should become more balanced once Toady adds magic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4