Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Dusting of Annoyance  (Read 1785 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Dusting of Annoyance
« on: May 21, 2011, 03:02:31 pm »

My irritation at my fortress not looking the same calls out for help. I recently finished my hospital [carving,smoothing,wells.] and was ready to fill the resevoir below of water. There was a problem [I have no idea how it happened] that caused me to be unable to close the floodgate in time, though, and I got a bit of extra water. At first everything was fine, but the first dwarf to take a drink unleashed a torrent of water inside this room, muddying the stone. Now a large area around my wells is brown, which is not the uniform gray of the rest of the fortress. This bothers me to no end.

Is there a way to fix this? They only seem interested in getting blood up, not this mud crap. It hasn't dried so far so I don't think it will.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: A Dusting of Annoyance
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 03:25:15 pm »

Build floors over it, then deconstruct the floors.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:35:37 pm »

Oh dear god, my minor case of OCD is eternally grateful.
Legacy of Insightshields

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »

I have the exact same thing, man. When I dig out my dining rooms (which tend to be pretty huge) and there's like, a vein of tetrahedrite running through the differently coloured stone, I go "FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-"

And then floors.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:37:54 pm »

Yeah. If I'm digging out a close-to-the-surface-completely-stone fort and I suddenly hit a nice, big chunk of DIRT.

I rage. I rage hard.
Legacy of Insightshields

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:38:34 pm »

It'd be nice if you could use dye to change the colour of stone, for symmetry purposes.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 03:49:33 pm »

It'd be nice if you could use dye to change the colour of stone, for symmetry purposes.

I support this idea. It would give me a reason to actually use my dyers shop, or to buy dye from elves. mysteriously discover it in my trade depot.
Legacy of Insightshields

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 04:11:14 pm »

I support this idea. It would give me a reason to actually use my dyers shop, or to buy dye from elves. mysteriously discover it in my trade depot.

Dwarves don't use dye. What are you, an elf?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:13:08 pm »

Building and deconstructing floors works, but it destroys engravings and also gets rid of valuable mineral floors, replacing them with rough layer stone. A better way to remove mud is to place furniture on the tile and then remove it. Animal traps are quite useful for this, since you can build them pretty much anywhere (including on stairs and ramps), though most other furniture (e.g. weapon racks and armor stands) can be placed/removed by anybody with Furniture Hauling enabled.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:16:04 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 04:44:48 pm »

Think of it this way. Elves rarely have better than Rope Reed Fiber Sock, while dwarves can have «☼Rope Reed Fiber Sock☼». Whatever elves can do, dwarves can do !!better!!.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 05:59:53 pm »

But if you're using it on the walls/floor, then it becomes PAINT! And painting the area with your enemy's blood and intestines is an extremely dwarfy pastime, so other painting should be okay, too.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 10:42:52 pm »

But if you're using it on the walls/floor, then it becomes PAINT! And painting the area with your enemy's blood and intestines is an extremely dwarfy pastime, so other painting should be okay, too.
It's more Dwarfy to paint with stone and magma though.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:40 am »

Yeah. If I'm digging out a close-to-the-surface-completely-stone fort and I suddenly hit a nice, big chunk of DIRT.

I rage. I rage hard.
Why not make farms?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 10:24:54 am »

POUR MAGMA ON IT

Actually I do believe magma removes mud, so I might be serious :P

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 01:08:02 pm »

I rage. I rage hard.
Why not make farms?

Because I normally already have a 10x10 chunk set aside for a farm. I mean when I'm a layer or two below ground, where my main fortress will be, and the whole thing is stone, and im digging out the dining hall and... POW. Nice patch of dirt against the walls. I can mine them out and replace with constructed walls, but... it's not the same.
Legacy of Insightshields
Pages: [1] 2