Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 107462 times)

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:21 am »

I suggest that you change the "shotgun"'s name to "blunderbuss"... That's basically what a blunderbuss is, a muzzle-loaded shotgun with a flared muzzle (made it easier to load and made the shot spread, but also made it a hell of a lot louder).
"Blunderbuss" derives from a Dutch loan-word, which goes against the established practice in vanilla of avoiding location-specific names for things. The word also conjures mental pictures of an absurd-looking weapon resembling nothing so much as a trumpet with a firing mechanism, the sort of thing wielded by overweight Germanic villains with enormous facial hair in Saturday morning cartoons and comic operas.

Neither can I use a direct English translation of the original donderbus, because I like to imagine DF dwarves as the sort of people who could come up with a name for a weapon that sounds considerably less dirty than "thunder-pipe".

You're talking about the same dwarves that named themselves "The Fleshy Tower," and "Phallus Balls."

Now are these a candidate for artifacts? And will they show up in engravings and such? And will people have them in adventure mode (I did give them to the other races and added them as weapons they could use even including their ammo)

I have seen a goblin running about with a pistol and some silver bullets; so I sneaked over to him and cleaved his head from his shoulders. (looks like someone needed to worry less abot personal protection from werecreatures and more protection from me)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:51:19 pm by killerx243 »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2012, 03:02:36 am »

Now are these a candidate for artifacts? And will they show up in engravings and such? And will people have them in adventure mode (I did give them to the other races and added them as weapons they could use even including their ammo)
I've had an artefact wooden spring-gun turn up before, so yes.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2012, 05:00:57 pm »

"Blunderbuss" isn't any more culture-specific than, say, "rifle" or "carbine" (both of which have French etymologies). For the next build, though, I'd like to request air rifles perhaps replacing spring-guns or BB-guns; you'd need a leather bag as part of the construction process for the air container.

I've just installed the mod and am going to play a fortress with it; wish me luck. At last I'll get some utility out of the Potash Makers I keep getting in my migrant waves.

E: derp, me use forum markup good!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:05:03 pm by SandyCaesar »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2012, 06:43:28 pm »

For the next build, though, I'd like to request air rifles perhaps replacing spring-guns or BB-guns; you'd need a leather bag as part of the construction process for the air container.
Cool as they would undeniably be, it'd be nigh-impossible to replicate any of their drawbacks -small pressure tanks, susceptibility to damage- in-engine without extensive use and abuse of interactions, which wouldn't be much use in Fortress Mode.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »

Ah, that's fine. I've always been fascinated with the "road not taken" approach to historical techs.

Anyway, actually relevant question: since the bullets use the EDGE property, would this mean that materials that can hold an edge (bronze, iron, steel) are more effective than high-density materials (silver)?

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2012, 06:28:22 pm »

since the bullets use the EDGE property, would this mean that materials that can hold an edge (bronze, iron, steel) are more effective than high-density materials (silver)?
That can depend on how well-armored your attackers are. Bronze bullets vs leather armor is likely to cause considerable damage through the leather armor. Bronze bullets vs iron armor is going to bounce off most of the time and do little damage. Silver bullets vs iron armor might be able to cause some damage through the armor AFAIK.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2012, 07:47:48 pm »

Anyway, actually relevant question: since the bullets use the EDGE property, would this mean that materials that can hold an edge (bronze, iron, steel) are more effective than high-density materials (silver)?
Theoretically, yes, though I think high-density metals do better at inflicting blunt-force trauma if they fail to penetrate armour; there's a list of metals in order of combat effectiveness in some thread on !!SCIENCE!!, possibly on the wiki and even in someone's sig.
In practice it doesn't seem to matter that much versus humanoid opponents; even if the first centre-mass hit doesn't inflict a mortal wound, it'll still put its target out of the fight until someone else can administer the coup de gras.

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »

More playing with the mode revealed two interesting things. The first is that, ordered to make gunstones out of any available metal, the dwarves made a stack of 60 large golden gunstones. They sold for 10800 for the stack. Holy precious ammunition, Urist, keep this up and we'll be buying the kingdom!

The second, more frustrating, is that I can't seem to get the dwarves to make cartridges. I've got large stocks of rope reed cloth, gunpowder (mostly in leather bags), large gunstones, and free cloth bags--yet the option remains red. Are there any tricks I'm missing?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:28 pm »

More playing with the mode revealed two interesting things. The first is that, ordered to make gunstones out of any available metal, the dwarves made a stack of 60 large golden gunstones. They sold for 10800 for the stack. Holy precious ammunition, Urist, keep this up and we'll be buying the kingdom!

The second, more frustrating, is that I can't seem to get the dwarves to make cartridges. I've got large stocks of rope reed cloth, gunpowder (mostly in leather bags), large gunstones, and free cloth bags--yet the option remains red. Are there any tricks I'm missing?

Argh another reaction issue? I thought I had fixed all those?
Must have glazed over them... If Jake doesn't resolve this issue, I will try 2morrow. (As in my internet is on the friz making DL-ing anything impossibly slow)

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2012, 09:53:52 pm »

So I screwed up when editing the raws, I didn't give humans musket ammo :P, if I change that will I need to regen the world or will they start carrying musket bullets from now on?

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2012, 10:15:02 pm »

Well, it seems like a pretty crippling issue, so I suspect I'm the one who's hosed up somewhere, as otherwise it'd probably have been reported already. Still, as far as I can tell I have all the reagents, so, well, it is a mystery, I suppose.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:57 pm »

Would you be able to post the reactions here?

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2012, 10:45:48 pm »

In-game it tells me that the reagents are "Large gunstone, Gunpowder, Bag, Plant Cloth", four items; it combines to make 60 large cartridges.

From the raws:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CARTRIDGES_L]
[NAME:prepare large cartridges]
[BUILDING:WORK_BENCH:NONE]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:A:60:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET_L:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:150:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:GUNPOWDER]
[REAGENT:C:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][BAG][CONTAINS:powder][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[REAGENT:D:1000:CLOTH:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_PLANT_MATERIAL]
[PRODUCT:100:60:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_CARTRIDGE_L:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:CLOTHESMAKING]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]

EDIT: derp. I think I see the problem: I have only 80 units of gunpowder, and the reaction requires 150.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:51:11 pm by SandyCaesar »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »

I think I see the problem: I have only 80 units of gunpowder, and the reaction requires 150.
Oh, thank Armok for that. I was starting to think we'd never see the end of that bug.

Anyway, I've finally got my gaming rig hooked up to the Internet, which should speed up the process of testing and bug-fixing. Unfortunately, I've also managed to mess up my laptop's hard drive, and the flash drive containing my backup copy has gone missing. I can recreate most of it easily enough and I'm sure the flash drive can't have gone far, but it's still extremely irritating.

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2012, 11:39:40 pm »

Aww. Best of luck with that.

Still, though, I suggest posting quantities on the main page. 150 powder for 60 cartridges seems pretty exorbitant, so you may wish to warn players about that.

EDIT: wait, shit. I've got 150 powder, bullets out the wazoo, plant cloth, and bags free, and I still can't make cartridges.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:15:03 am by SandyCaesar »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23