Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 107455 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2012, 02:12:36 am »

If you want to make it so that you arent using a whole boulder per flint, just make a workshop reaction that takes a boulder and makes a few flint chips.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2012, 08:25:48 am »

That'd work. Not quite sure what skill I'd use for it though; stone crafter, probably. Hmmm... I have some ideas for this, but I'm not sure whether they're possible in-engine. Does [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:n] apply to boulders? The wiki's entry on quantities is rather vague.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2012, 09:23:05 am »

Just make 50 flints form a boulder:) Best is the enemy of good - that is a good russian proverb. You will use a lot of time and in the end will make boulder do a lot of flints but with 50 reactions instead of 1:)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2012, 09:45:04 am »

Just make 50 flints form a boulder:) Best is the enemy of good - that is a good russian proverb. You will use a lot of time and in the end will make boulder do a lot of flints but with 50 reactions instead of 1 :)

Yes, it is a good proverb, but I wasn't planning to make just one flint chip per reaction. I'm thinking batches of up to ten per 150th of a boulder, each with its own individual drop probability so you have to factor in a smallish safety margin when importing flint.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2012, 12:16:13 pm »

I'm not an expert on reactions. But it does seem the best way to gof or something like that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2012, 12:49:54 pm »

Well boulders are heavy as sin, so ordering flint you might get 5 boulders at max. Maybe a new tool could be made called "Box of Flints" can be made out of anything, since it is a box. of course a stone box is weird. And if enabled for your civ (TOOL) then you can make these boxes at a craftshop, so maybe other civs use it?

Anyways you trade for these lighter but more expensive boxes of flint, have a reaction the takes a box and make 3-7 flints.

Donno just a suggestion.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »

Well boulders are heavy as sin, so ordering flint you might get 5 boulders at max. Maybe a new tool could be made called "Box of Flints" can be made out of anything, since it is a box. of course a stone box is weird. And if enabled for your civ (TOOL) then you can make these boxes at a craftshop, so maybe other civs use it?

Anyways you trade for these lighter but more expensive boxes of flint, have a reaction the takes a box and make 3-7 flints.

Donno just a suggestion.

Innovative, but it feels a bit too contrived to me, especially since a single boulder of flint taken on embark would be enough to make a lot of guns; I haven't decided exactly how many flints you'll get per boulder, but it's going to be a three-figure sum.

How about this: The individual flint strikers are used as part of a reaction to make a firelock, which is used in the gun reactions in place of a metal mechanism and takes... Hmmm. Between a quarter and a third of a metal bar each, depending on the size of the weapon? Firelocks can be bought from caravans if there's no flint on the map, as well as complete weapons.

Skald

• Bay Watcher
  • Longbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »

I love the mod, but I'm still having problems getting it to fully function properly.

The biggest problem I'm having is ammo, specifically cartridges. They show up as "Rock" projectiles, regardless of the stones made.

Any thoughts for how I can fix that?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2012, 02:35:59 pm »

I love the mod, but I'm still having problems getting it to fully function properly.

The biggest problem I'm having is ammo, specifically cartridges. They show up as "Rock" projectiles, regardless of the stones made.

Any thoughts for how I can fix that?

Oh, sod a dog, this bug again? I thought I fixed that one about half a dozen versions ago. I'll look into it, just let me finish banging my head against the nearest handy wall.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2012, 01:34:18 am »

Protect your head Jake:) About crates-  you can do it MasterWork Mod way:) Meph uses sopa bars called crates (for the purpose of easy finding and not using it in any reactions) with AUTOMATIC reactions to unload them. You will need to make a new material template and a creature for this (arena_restricted) and it will let you use it and assign any value to crate you want:)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2012, 03:39:21 am »

Protect your head Jake :) About crates-  you can do it MasterWork Mod way :) Meph uses sopa bars called crates (for the purpose of easy finding and not using it in any reactions) with AUTOMATIC reactions to unload them. You will need to make a new material template and a creature for this (arena_restricted) and it will let you use it and assign any value to crate you want:)

I dunno, it just feels too much like a hack to me, not to mention all the potential bugs and general weirdness it would create.

I tell you what, though. If you or anyone else fancies putting a "box up flints"/"unbox flints" reaction together once I get the next version out, I'll include it in the .zip file as a sort of optional extra.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2012, 05:02:51 am »

[REACTION:CRATE_FLINT]
   [NAME:Open crate of flints]
   [BUILDING:!somebuilding!:!some custom key!]
   [REAGENT:A:1:BAR:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:FLINT_CRATE:SOAP][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
        [PRODUCT:100:10:!!your flints in right material tokens!!][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:!right product dimension!]
   [AUTOMATIC]

For crate you would need a creature:
[CREATURE:FLINT_CRATE]
   [NAME:::]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SOAP:FLINT_CRATE_TEMPLATE]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:crate of flints]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:crate of melted flints]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:crate of boiling flints]
      [PREFIX:NONE]
      [MATERIAL_VALUE:!200!]determine crate value for trade
   [ARENA_RESTRICTED]
   [DOES_NOT_EXIST]

Now add this material template:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now add reaction for entity crate production to dwarves or humans - your choice:

[REACTION:CREATE_FLINT_CRATE]
   [NAME:creating flint crates]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:FLINT_CRATE:SOAP][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]

It should work without building - this is the mechanic of the game. That is if you add it to dwarves. If you add it to other civs feel free to add a building it is used in - but if oyu do it for dwarf entity - then your fortress will be able to spawn crates. But building is not required.

Don't forget to add entity eraction permissions.

Well that's it.

Teh Barple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2012, 07:37:34 am »

Hey, loving this mod so far but I can't seem to get it to work in Adventure mode. I put in the raws into the entity_default and tabbed all of them in properly but the guns aren't appearing properly, and whenever I spawn with high crossbow skill I start with a crossbow instead of a rifle/musket/whatever. Hopefully this isn't a dumb question to you or isn't overly obvious.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2012, 09:34:31 am »

@Tierre
these creature lines

[ARENA_RESTRICTED]
   [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
does not exist will remove them from the arena aswell. So ARENA_RESTRICTED is redundant. Just sayin :P

Hrm.. if the creature's SOAP material why is it using a custom template? would it not have a soap_template?

@Teh Barple
In adv. mode? Yea it's funny like that, it randomly picks a weapon of that given skill. High sword skills might give you a short sword, long sword, or a 2-hander. As an example. Nothing to do with the Mod

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2012, 09:41:14 am »

Hugo - that's from Meph's RAWS:) And for that matter this template has no SOAP_LEVEL 2 and [SOAP] which should protect it from being used in hospital. Good to know about arena_restricted.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23