Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 107406 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2012, 09:03:15 pm »

Sorry if this is a bit random, but, i tried using your mod and i am having trouble getting my guys to shoot the muskets and pistols im giving them. For some reason i couldn't them to even carry ammo, but upon a little fiddling i got it, but they still wont load the guns and just chase after everything waving their bayonettes in the air. What should i do?
Hmmm. Have you made sure they're set to use their cartridges for training and combat in the military screen? And I suggest arming them with either a musket or a pistol rather than one of each; it might be confusing the AI as to what they're meant to be shooting with.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2012, 09:35:32 pm »

Thats what i did, i tryied on two seperate occasions to use them individually. They are set for both training and combat. The guy just puts a few into his quiver and runs after them until he gets close enough to stab them.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2012, 09:40:44 pm »

Hi,

I currently have a poll running in my modthread, about what people wish for the next update. Historic weapons are leading :)

I wanted to ask, if I could add this to my mod, with proper credit of course. I would remove the rockets and the workbench, but otherwise leave it as it is.

EDIT: On a different note: Your permitted reactions in the first post are wrong. You call the bullets there LEAD_BULLET_S and LEAD_BULLET_L for example, and the reactions in the reaction file are called: LEAD_BULLET and LEAD_BULLET2
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:57:08 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2012, 12:14:40 am »

Hi,

I currently have a poll running in my modthread, about what people wish for the next update. Historic weapons are leading :)

I wanted to ask, if I could add this to my mod, with proper credit of course. I would remove the rockets and the workbench, but otherwise leave it as it is.
Go right ahead. But be sure to emphasise the fact that it's derived from another mod in turn. As for the workbench, I may just follow your lead on that. It was originally going to be used for a lot more reactions in a separate mod that never made it past the planning stage, and it's a bit redundant now.

EDIT: On a different note: Your permitted reactions in the first post are wrong. You call the bullets there LEAD_BULLET_S and LEAD_BULLET_L for example, and the reactions in the reaction file are called: LEAD_BULLET and LEAD_BULLET2
Oops. Thanks for the heads up, I'll edit the first post accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:16:39 am by Jake »
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

ink_runner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2012, 07:47:10 pm »

Hi! is this mod compatible with DF2012?

Apologies in advance if the question sounds far too noob, I've always played vanilla :)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:12 pm »

Hi! is this mod compatible with DF2012?

Apologies in advance if the question sounds far too noob, I've always played vanilla :)

I'm afraid I haven't tested it yet, lacking a machine that can generate a decent-sized world in the latest version, but to the best of my knowledge there's no reason it shouldn't be.

You might want to hold off for a day or two, though, because I'm in the process of tidying up the raws a bit; it turns out magma reactions are duplicated needlessly, and I'm currently debating the future of the Workbench.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2012, 07:42:56 am »

Okay, the next update is pretty much ready to go. The biggest change is that separate reactions for magma-powered workshops are now gone, but I've added a couple of new weapons that are mostly flavour and fixed a rather strange oversight; if anyone was having trouble with the reaction to create pistols, I must have somehow overwritten them by mistake when I copied and pasted to create bladed pistols.

I'm still doing some final bugfix and balance testing, and in the meantime I'd appreciate some input on the Workbench. Meph removed it when he integrated this mod into his Masterwork one, and I'm debating doing the same. My personal preference is to keep it, however; one of the things that's always vaguely annoyed me about ammunition production is that there's no way to put in a work-order for, say, thirty stacks of wooden bolts without it getting in the way of producing stone crafts and the like. A workshop that's only useful for two reactions nevertheless strikes me as a bit redundant.

So, what do you all think?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2012, 06:16:02 pm »

A note: My main reason for removing it is that my mod is really, really big. I have about 70 buildings in total, so adding 6 new ones for one features is too much. Users even asked about merging the Ammunition Mint and the Gunsmith into one, to bring down the building count by another 2.

I have nothing against the generell idea of the workbench.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2012, 03:54:40 am »

Just found this thread again. Perhaps some very late feedback, but, I don't mind the workbench either. In my mind, it can be a very complex process. But the more work you have to do to get the final result, the more rewarding the result should be. As long as the guns do enough damage to justify the work needed to get a gun, I'm all up for more complexity. I would even welcome it. :)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2012, 04:34:45 am »

Well, in that case, I'm leaving it in for the time being.

The latest update is now more or less complete, awaiting only compatibility testing with 0.34.07 that shall commence just as soon as the RAM I ordered turns up. The biggest change is that reactions for conventional and magma-based workshops have been combined and generally tidied up, and there are also two new weapons. The carbine fires the same ammunition as the pistol, has a muzzle velocity roughly halfway between it and the musket but requires two hands to aim. The small spring-gun (ITEM_WEAPON_BBGUN in the raws) is basically its gunpowder-free equivalent, and exists only because I suspect that adding [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_WHATEVER] to a civ in entity_default without something to fire the ammunition from might create glitches.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2012, 01:09:37 pm »

hey I've been using this mod for a while, and it's great! though i just recently added the appropriate tokens to the  "entity_default" file to make guns + ammo non-foreign. (older version with rockets added in, so only one cartridge size)

Code: [Select]

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MUSKET]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_RIFLE]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL_BLADED]
[AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_CARTRIDGE]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AIRGUN]
[AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ROCKET_TUBE]
[AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ROCKET]

the result is me being able to create bone cartridges and gunstones from the crafters shop, without the need for gunpowder. not sure what's happening here, just thought I'd mention it.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2012, 02:24:51 pm »

That's because you're supposed to add the individual weapons and ammunition to entity_default for other civs so you can trade for them. Your civ is supposed to do it the hard way, through [PERMITTED_REACTION:IRON_MUSKET] etc, etc.

Speaking of reactions, is anyone else having trouble with the one for making gunpowder from potash in 34.07? I keep getting an error message in the logfile about an unidentified material token or something, but further testing is slightly complicated by the fact that worldgen currently takes about an hour and a half when it doesn't simply hang. My three year-old nephew learned a number of new words when my first successfully generated world turned out to be unusable thanks to the game reading a leftover autosave file labelled "item_weapon.txt~" as well as item_weapon.txt!

Arena testing went okay, though; the carbine kills or badly woulds unarmoured opponents in the first hit but chainmail is enough to reduce the damage to severe bruising and sometimes internal injury.

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 04:48:44 pm »

To speed world generation up for testing, just make pocket worlds with a 5 year long history.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2012, 09:57:01 am »

Acting on Bouyancy's excellent advice, I now have a test world generated... And the ammunition mint has no reactions available, training axes are mysteriously non-existent, and I can apparently order muskets from the outpost liaison as a training weapon. Oh, and splints and crutches now require three bars of metal each.

Clearly there's still some work to do.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »

Quick progress update, if you can call it that. The reactions for creating gunstones just plain don't work in .34.09; I can order them made in the manager screen, but they don't show up in the ammunition mint's task list, and nothing in the error log even hints at why. Cartridges are also broken, with a load of Unrecognised Item Token errors. Here's the complete text of the error log along with the relevant parts of reaction_guns.txt from the unreleased new version, maybe you guys can figure out where I'm going wrong. (I've not got as far as testing the gunpowder reaction in this version, but I seem to be able to buy it from the caravans alright and it appears in the task list for the smelter.)

Spoiler: Error Log (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Raw File (click to show/hide)

Arena testing threw up an interesting fact, by the way; the carbine is superior to the pistol against opponents in chainmail, but at a slight disadvantage versus plate because the pistol can be reloaded faster. I've not really tested different ammunition materials too thoroughly, but my impression from these tests was that lesser metals would work better as pistol ammunition, because the higher rate of fire increases the likelihood of getting lucky and hitting bare flesh.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23