Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 107419 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 06:10:14 pm »

I know I'm bumping an old topic, but is it possible to implement different ammo for the musket and airgun? They should be using blunt ball ammo and should make lead more useful than it is now for ammo material.

Oh and cannons for the siege operator...

Unfortunately blunt weapon type doesn't work very well in projectiles. You can tweak the contact area and velocity modifiers of the bullets to be more like hammers but from what I've experimented with, blunt ammo always does glancing blows and minor bruising.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 11:28:57 pm »

I know I'm bumping an old topic, but is it possible to implement different ammo for the musket and airgun? They should be using blunt ball ammo and should make lead more useful than it is now for ammo material.
I experimented with a BLUNT tag for musket shot in an earlier version, and I'm sorry to say it's not currently possible to make it realistic; unless I increase the contact area to an improbable size it's completely ineffectual no matter how much I crank up the impact speed.

And apologies to everyone for the lack of activity of late, I'm in the process of moving to another country and haven't had a lot of time for playing DF, let alone modding it.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2011, 02:24:48 am »

I would say it backwards :P.

Modding > playing. ::)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2011, 01:22:10 pm »

Seeing silver bullets and pistols in this mod got me exited to go werewolf hunting in the next version.
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2011, 02:51:55 pm »

I've been playing with this and I noticed some things and had some questions.

1. Cartridges are made with clothesmaking. (Merely being stated for everyone else who didn't know....took me forever to find that one out)

1.5 Cartridges also won't store in ammo piles even though bullet parts do. They also show up as 'rock cartridges' even though I make them with steel. Is this a cosmetic flaw? I haven't had much luck actually killing things as those rock cartridges seem to be deflected pretty easily, but this could be a problem with the lowskill of my dwarves. Also, making cartridges only require 1 cloth instead of 1000.

2. Spring guns. Do they use the minted amunition instead of cartridges?

3. Magma forges and mints. I found in this thread to get them to work they have to be added to the entity_default. This was left out of the main post I saw. Also, the regular gunbench makes bladed pistols while the magma forge only makes non-bladed pistol varieties.

4. Can't make weapons from the shop itself. For whatever reason, the reactions to make any of the weapons are red and I cannot choose them even though I have all the mats. I found that by making a job order for pistols they got made. Note that forging metal mechanisms from the shop works fine.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2011, 09:04:23 pm »

I've been playing with this and I noticed some things and had some questions.

1. Cartridges are made with clothesmaking. (Merely being stated for everyone else who didn't know....took me forever to find that one out)

1.5 Cartridges also won't store in ammo piles even though bullet parts do. They also show up as 'rock cartridges' even though I make them with steel. Is this a cosmetic flaw? I haven't had much luck actually killing things as those rock cartridges seem to be deflected pretty easily, but this could be a problem with the lowskill of my dwarves. Also, making cartridges only require 1 cloth instead of 1000.
Sod it. Sorry about that, I thought I'd fixed the "rock cartridges" bug. Can you dig out the error logs?

2. Spring guns. Do they use the minted amunition instead of cartridges?
Yes.

3. Magma forges and mints. I found in this thread to get them to work they have to be added to the entity_default. This was left out of the main post I saw. Also, the regular gunbench makes bladed pistols while the magma forge only makes non-bladed pistol varieties.
Oops. Thanks for the heads up, I'll edit the front page as well as add bladed pistols to the list of reactions for magma workshops.[/quote]

4. Can't make weapons from the shop itself. For whatever reason, the reactions to make any of the weapons are red and I cannot choose them even though I have all the mats. I found that by making a job order for pistols they got made. Note that forging metal mechanisms from the shop works fine.
Huh. That's weird. Again, let take a look at the error log and I'll see if I can figure out where I've screwed up.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2011, 10:39:10 pm »

Here's my error log. http://www.filedropper.com/errorlog

I didn't know that an errorlog existed till I started to look for it.

I like this mod though, I'm working on a whole team of steel spring gun-dorfs. Fire steel gunstones then close for melee. I like bayonnets better than just bashing things with the crossbow.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2011, 12:06:23 am »

Aha! Mystery solved; I used GET_MATGLOSS_FROM_REAGENT when I should have used GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT. I must have forgotten to upload the fixed version, because I know someone pointed that out in the thread for the other mod in my signature.

I'll sort that and the missing reaction from magma gunmith's forges out as soon as I get my creative mojo back up and running.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2011, 08:05:43 pm »

A few weeks ago, I actually made my own firearms, though they were based on more 'modern' (i.e. from the 1890s onward) guns, like .45 caliber revolvers, .30-06 battle rifles, .50cal sniper rifles, etc. but I suppose I could make them into more historically accurate weapons.

Sorry about this, I know this thread is somewhat old.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »

Not at all. I've been meaning to get back to this, but getting married, moving to another country and a bunch of other stuff has been getting in the way.

And help yourself to whatever bits of the code you think work better than what you came up with for the modern firearms; I was going to put together a version with metallic cartridges anyway.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2011, 09:50:46 pm »

UPDATE: I actually converted my 'modern' guns (and damn, there were a lot) to more historically accurate, albeit later-developed firearms. I.e. matchlock muskets, flintlock pistols, blunderbusses, etc. I'll post the raws for each gun and their respective ammo tomorrow.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2011, 02:27:01 pm »

Alrighty then, I've got my guns ready to be posted up here. Here they are:
Spoiler: Matchlock Firearms (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flintlock Firearms (click to show/hide)
Sorry. I'm testing and fixing them now. I'll get back to them later.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2012, 10:59:06 am »

Aaaaand it's back! Featuring separate pistol ammunition and a brand new weapon: Rockets! The rocket tube can only be made of steel and it takes a whole sack of gunpowder to make just five rockets, but one hit can reliably dismember or decapitate an unarmoured humanoid.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2012, 01:16:24 pm »

I'll get this again when the next version is up. The rockets should make a good addition to my anti-elf measures.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2012, 08:05:29 pm »

Sorry if this is a bit random, but, i tried using your mod and i am having trouble getting my guys to shoot the muskets and pistols im giving them. For some reason i couldn't them to even carry ammo, but upon a little fiddling i got it, but they still wont load the guns and just chase after everything waving their bayonettes in the air. What should i do?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23