Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 107461 times)

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2012, 02:39:37 am »

Sulfur may be found by itself and historically was usually obtained in this way, while pyrite has been a source of sulfur via sulfuric acid.[16] In volcanic regions in Sicily, in ancient times, it was found on the surface of the earth, and the "Sicilian process" was used: sulfur deposits were piled and stacked in brick kilns built on sloping hillsides, with airspaces between them. Then, some sulfur was pulverized, spread over the stacked ore and ignited, causing the free sulfur to melt down the hills. Eventually the surface-borne deposits played out, and miners excavated veins that ultimately dotted the Sicilian landscape with labyrinthine mines. Mining was unmechanized and labor-intensive, with pickmen freeing the ore from the rock, and mine-boys or carusi carrying baskets of ore to the surface, often through a mile or more of tunnels. Once the ore was at the surface, it was reduced and extracted in smelting ovens. The conditions in Sicilian sulfur mines were horrific, prompting Booker T. Washington to write "I am not prepared just now to say to what extent I believe in a physical hell in the next world, but a sulphur mine in Sicily is about the nearest thing to hell that I expect to see in this life."[17]
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »

I suggest that you change the "shotgun"'s name to "blunderbuss"... That's basically what a blunderbuss is, a muzzle-loaded shotgun with a flared muzzle (made it easier to load and made the shot spread, but also made it a hell of a lot louder).

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2012, 06:54:10 pm »

being tring this with the download. However Dwarf Therapist quits on load. using Dwarf Therapist v0.6.12
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »

I suggest that you change the "shotgun"'s name to "blunderbuss"... That's basically what a blunderbuss is, a muzzle-loaded shotgun with a flared muzzle (made it easier to load and made the shot spread, but also made it a hell of a lot louder).
"Blunderbuss" derives from a Dutch loan-word, which goes against the established practice in vanilla of avoiding location-specific names for things. The word also conjures mental pictures of an absurd-looking weapon resembling nothing so much as a trumpet with a firing mechanism, the sort of thing wielded by overweight Germanic villains with enormous facial hair in Saturday morning cartoons and comic operas.

Neither can I use a direct English translation of the original donderbus, because I like to imagine DF dwarves as the sort of people who could come up with a name for a weapon that sounds considerably less dirty than "thunder-pipe".
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2012, 07:52:46 pm »

being tring this with the download. However Dwarf Therapist quits on load. using Dwarf Therapist v0.6.12
Wrong thread

@medikohl
Pyrite is a type of gem in DF
Soo.. was this a type of crystalized sulfur?

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2012, 08:34:18 pm »

Wrong thread

@medikohl
Pyrite is a type of gem in DF
Soo.. was this a type of crystalized sulfur?

nope , right thread, hoping someone would know or had similiar problems with 612 and this mod. I cloned my DF install, add the files and permissions to dwarfs but no good.
Anyideas? installing wrong the download bugged or out of date?
and when is next version of blackpowder guns out.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2012, 08:41:48 pm »

overweight Germanic villains with enormous facial hair in Saturday morning cartoons and comic operas
Hey! I happen to be of German ancestry, and frankly find this slightly (albeit hilariously) offensive.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2012, 08:46:28 pm »

overweight Germanic villains with enormous facial hair in Saturday morning cartoons and comic operas
Hey! I happen to be of German ancestry, and frankly find this slightly (albeit hilariously) offensive.
I also have some german blood, but i'm all for good laughs lol

@Lord Inquisitor
I was lead astray with the mention of DT. There shouldnt be any confict between a utility and raw changes :-/
are you sure it is just not DT having a fit?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2012, 05:38:46 am »

Don't look at me, I didn't invent the trope.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2012, 03:11:59 pm »

but you can make igneous extrusive clusters of sulfur for all your sulfur needs
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »

*checks for pulse*

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2012, 05:38:51 am »

Sorry. Real life's been getting in the way.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2012, 09:09:51 am »

Sorry. Real life's been getting in the way.
I can relate. I've been trying to work on two mods, and both summer school and family trips/vacations have been preventing me from working on them.

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2012, 06:09:18 pm »

This project looks very interesting, and I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. I'm looking forward to plastering the next Uninvited Guest with a salvo of Congreves, hee hee.

A question for the future: is the propensity of booze to go kablooie hardcoded, or is explosiveness a series of tags? Minecart shotgunning behaviour plus actual explosive bags of blackpowder: the implications are making me drool. (Or, of course, just regular old bombs. Works too.)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »

Explosions don't currently do very much; a faceful of boiling-hot liquid exploding from a ruptured barrel should in theory cause burns, but I don't know if that works yet, and the game engine doesn't currently model blastwaves either.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23