Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: Black Powder Firearms  (Read 107435 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Black Powder Firearms
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2012, 02:04:17 am »

If you know of an ore of sulphur that exists in real life and could plausibly be smelted with 15th century technology I'll be glad to include it, but I'd prefer not to make gunpowder too easy to manufacture; a musket ball is near-guaranteed to mortally wound an unarmoured opponent with the first hit and will break ribs and cause internal injuries through plate armour, and I don't want to turn BPFA into an Easy Mode mod.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Skald

• Bay Watcher
  • Longbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2012, 04:27:11 pm »

So having removed what files/reactions I had put in from the first attempt of using this mod and starting from fresh, I experimented around again and met with failure. On a couple fronts this time...

1. When attempting to make a rifle from the gun workshop, steel mechanisms don't actually take steel to make (it just takes a coal, for some odd reason, even though there was a pile of steel bars right next to it...) and attempting to make a steel rifle required "Rock Mechanisms".

2. The ammo-mint doesn't have any of the reactions taking place at it. Upon consulting the raws it appears that the bullet mint is listed as
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:BULLET_MINT] but the reaction to make bullets is set to take place at [BUILDING:BULLET_L_MINT:NONE] [BUILDING:BULLET_L_MAGMA:NONE].

So, beyond the obvious of fixing the reactions to take place at the bullet mint, what else am I missing here?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2012, 04:44:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's that duplicate [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED] tag. I really ought to get around to fixing that...

*le sigh* I'll take a look as soon as I get done arguing with the housing office tomorrow.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2012, 11:15:50 am »

Okay, taking a cue from Dwarf Chocolate, I've reformatted the ammunition reactions somewhat so that they look like this:
[PRODUCT:100:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_WHATEVER:METAL:WHATEVER][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:n]
I haven't tested it yet, but I think this should finally make ammunition reactions work properly.

And these are the new tools:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FIRELOCK_L]
[NAME:large firelock:large firelocks]
[VALUE:150]
[METAL_MAT]
[TILE:¬]
[SIZE:10]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[UNIMPROVABLE]

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FIRELOCK_S]
[NAME:small firelock:small firelocks]
[METAL_MAT]
[UNIMPROVABLE]

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SPRINGLOCK_L]
[NAME:large spring-lock:large spring-locks]
[METAL_MAT]
[UNIMPROVABLE]

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SPRINGLOCK_S]
[NAME:small spring-lock:small spring-locks]
[METAL_MAT]
[UNIMPROVABLE]

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FLINT]
[NAME:flint striker:flint strikers]
[VALUE:1]
[TILE:.]
[SIZE:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[UNIMPROVABLE]

These should be fairly self-explanatory. I'm not going to make gun barrels a separate item for the time being; that will come once there's a good way to control how much fuel a reaction uses. Unless it meets with overwhelming protest, firelocks and spring-locks are going to be made exclusively from steel, but by way of compensation you'll get several (five, maybe?) to a bar.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2012, 12:16:24 pm »

[PRODUCT:100:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_WHATEVER:METAL:WHATEVER][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:n]
well techinically this will work, a bit weird using [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:n] to fill the role of how much is produced
where as
[PRODUCT:100:n:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_<AMMO_NAME>:INORGANIC:<METAL_NAME>] --- where the "1" is now "n" to signify how big of a stack you want

you can even use
[PRODUCT:100:n:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_<AMMO_NAME>:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:<reagent id>:NONE] --- the <reagent id> would be the reagent of the desired metal like:
[REAGENT:iron bar:150:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:IRON] --- one iron bar, the above product's <reagent id> would = "iron bar" lacking quotes of course.

also don't forget you can do:
[PRODUCT:100:50:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_<AMMO_NAME>:INORGANIC:<METAL_NAME>]
[PRODUCT:100:50:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_<AMMO_NAME>:INORGANIC:<METAL_NAME>]

to make 2 stacks of 50 AMMO

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2012, 04:26:25 pm »

It's really just an experiment, because I can't think of anything that would cause all those bugs that Skald was complaining of and I was frankly starting to get a little desperate.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2012, 07:08:47 am »

O...kay. Hit a bit of a snag, folks. I'm either going to have to make it possible to buy firelocks and spring-locks made from any weapons-grade metal, or make them impossible to import at all.

Skald

• Bay Watcher
  • Longbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2012, 12:09:59 pm »

Maybe have it that only a few races have the technology and really aren't open to sharing?

If not, do the former.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2012, 12:13:42 pm »

ever thought of just allowing it to be made via custom reactions, or that tradeabled bar of soap idea?

TOOL_FLINT_LOCK
^^^No entity has it permitted so no "[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_FLINTLOCK]" ^^^

Custom reaction to make the flintlock

Bar of Soap

trade for a "flintlock wrapped in water-proof cloth" in which you unwrap it with a custom reaction.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:42 pm »

Custom reactions to produce weapons or ammunition don't work "off-screen", I already discovered that back around v0.6. I could do something with a reaction to create an item in a package of some sort, though; Deon managed something similar with the salvage crate mechanic in his Wasteland mod,  but that strikes me as being too easy to exploit and too difficult to balance.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2012, 01:33:34 pm »

Custom reactions to produce weapons or ammunition don't work "off-screen", I already discovered that back around v0.6. I could do something with a reaction to create an item in a package of some sort, though; Deon managed something similar with the salvage crate mechanic in his Wasteland mod,  but that strikes me as being too easy to exploit and too difficult to balance.
Well acaully it's kinda not much of an exploit if you think about it. if you make this inorganic really expensive and only avaiable for trade by using:

[REACTION:FLINT_LOCK_TRADE_EMBARK_ONLY]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:FLINT_LOCK_WRAPPED]

[INORGANIC:FLINT_LOCK_WRAPPED]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SOIL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:packaged flintlock]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:100] --- Or whatever price you want might have to be tweaked for desired results
[SOAP] --- classes as Misc. Other in embark and trading (also won't be used as SOAP due to lacking a soap_level)
[SOLID_DENSITY:1] --- super light for trading purposes

enable the above reaction for any entity you wish to trade/sell packaged flintlocks

A custom one has to be made to unpackage the flintlock, allowing you full control of what material comes out.

EDIT:
Note the inorganic was just pulled out of a hat, no testing done. But Meph and a few other modders use this concept so it should work

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2012, 04:23:03 pm »

That would require me to understand the material properties tokens, and I'm already out of my depth just tinkering with weapons, ammo and reactions. It also... Well, I just plain don't like that kind of thing. I don't really know why, it just bothers me.

Anyway, the option I was considering -reluctantly- was a reaction where n firelocks and a wooden chest were combined into another entry in item_tool_guns, which could only be made of wood. Another reaction at the workbench would then un-box them leaving a chest that could then be reused as furniture.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »

These reactions look familiar... ;)

I also discovered that bars of wood (yep) are listed under "Misc" same as the soap bars. So you could also use random plants and make bars from it, instead of soap. Have to test more, but maybe it will result in a nicer way to make it...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2012, 02:24:05 am »

trade for a "flintlock wrapped in water-proof cloth" in which you unwrap it with a custom reaction.
"flintlock kit in oil cloth"
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2012, 02:32:40 am »

Pyrite enjoyed brief popularity in the 16th and 17th centuries as a source of ignition in early firearms, most notably the wheellock, where the cock held a lump of pyrite against a circular file to strike the sparks needed to fire the gun.
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23