Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: What have you learned today?  (Read 10966 times)

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
Re: What have you learned today?
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2011, 05:27:53 pm »

Today I learned that not having a single soldier in a fort of 76 dwarves is a pretty bad idea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

yeah...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:29:29 pm by Matazat »

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2011, 05:32:13 pm »

I've learned that making all your high-traffic furniture (doors, floor hatches, well, trade depot, and just about anything that my little guys pass frequently) out of gold makes them very happy.  =P
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2011, 06:07:32 pm »

I learned not to attack subterranean sentients (ant men to be exact), when your soldiers have little experience, even if you outnumber them by 2 people and you have superior armor and weapons.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2011, 09:11:49 pm »

I learnt that no to try and pit that blind cave ogre into your pit of death, he'll just over power your dwarf and launch a deadly assault on your grand hall

I learnt that tame vultures add so much to a fortress... A flock at the bottom of the death pit, and a few more flying around the meeting hall. Good fun... unrivaled atmoshere

I learnt that no matter how small or large something attacking your fortress is, it should be treated as if its the worst titan you've ever faced. I had one dwarf kill a siege and forgotten beast on his own, and the same dwarf be cut to pieces by a lone crundle who proceeded to slaughter ten dwarves before I could stop him..

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2011, 09:29:54 pm »

My clever plan of using a bridge with a lever to trigger my cavein from a safe distance did not, in fact, work. Two legendary miners took a 8z dive for glory. Back to using supports.

Also, when you clean up after a cavein, be sure to check the ceilings as well, or watch the blood splatter all over the dining tables when baddies fly in during supper.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2011, 09:36:15 pm »

I learned...
 give a Marksdwarf a bolt and he'll kill anything in a single shot.

Give a Marksdwarf 100 bolts and that badger will manage to crawl off the screen with 100 bolts stuck in him.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:05:44 pm by MythagoWoods »
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2011, 09:53:23 pm »

I learned that wooden crossbows in melee are even more harmless (and therefore better training weapons) than actual training axes. (6 rounds of 10 v 10 grandmaster arena dwarfs, the training axes win all 6)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:49 pm »

Today I learned that not having a single soldier in a fort of 76 dwarves is a pretty bad idea.

yeah...
YOUR FORT IS ABOVE GROUND, HERETIC!

'Twas ARMOK punishing you!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2011, 09:58:56 pm »

I disagree. Above ground forts involve extra pointless toil (and hazard from flying seiges), and are therefore quite dorfy.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »

I learnt that no to try and pit that blind cave ogre into your pit of death, he'll just over power your dwarf and launch a deadly assault on your grand hall

Send Harry to defeat that troll in the dungeon.

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2011, 12:38:55 pm »

yeah...

But my dining hall and workshops were far below! The above ground portion was just to house my military, which didn't exist yet.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2011, 05:57:33 pm »

i have learnt that released goblin prisoners in adventure mode are called 'goblin drunk'. at least my buddy is anyway!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2011, 06:38:00 pm »

I learned that the fact that 6 of your squadmates are standing next to you when the attack order is given, this does not imply you won't be going in solo while the rest decide it's a great time to take a break.

Luckily, that recruit was almost unkillable in his adamantium armour, but it was pretty horrible to see him turned into a football by six trolls.

Eventually, after ten minutes getting strangled and most of his bones broken, some other squad came to the rescue. Then I learned that it is a good thing to disable 'recover wounded'/'feed prisoners' from my war invalid cripple who is the slowest dwarf in the fortress. It took AGES before he got the poor chap to the hospital. We got him fixed up but he went insane later from unhappiness. Big suprise there  :P

Another thing I learned is that it pays to add some war animals to tantrumming dwarves. If they wake up in the dormitory, fully armed, and suddenly decide to go beserk and lay into his sleeping brothers and sisters he might not have killed so many...

Also, floodgates are not immune to building destroyers. Neither are pumps. Oh my, what a mess.

I also learned how to mine cotton candy safely.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2011, 07:28:40 pm »

Today I learned that nothing stands between a trog and the sunlight he's allergic to.
Lost an embark party to only 2 of them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2011, 02:58:38 am »

i have learnt that released goblin prisoners in adventure mode are called 'goblin drunk'. at least my buddy is anyway!

And I just learned that you can release prisoners in adventure mode. How did you do that? I think I still have a save with five demons imprisoned in a human fortress, unguarded.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10