Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: What have you learned today?  (Read 10951 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What have you learned today?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 10:23:44 am »

I learnt that, unless frozen, combined with magma, or powering magma pump stacks, water is undwarfy.
I also learnt that until booze is considered a proper liquid, I can't have mist generators.

By all means. I have only 130 dwarves, and I'm sitting on top of 7.500 units of booze. And counting.
I can't even sell them fast enough to the caravans - I can LITERALLY have booze fountains in my fort. Can't wait for that...
How about booze moats? And frozen booze walls? And booze baths? And booze hand grenades*?

*accidentally tested and approved
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 11:07:38 am »

I have learned, that dwarves are too stupid to remove glob of metal from cage traps. After cage is melted, from dragonfire for example, it solidifies again as a metal, listed under globs. So it's definitely not cage anymore. But they think it's fine.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:00 pm »

Today I learned that while skeletons of 31.25 just disappear if you hit 'em enough, drop them down the patented DeathPitTM and they explode into a pile of broken limbs that can then be deassembled to obtain bones.

SCIENCE! It has been done!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 01:04:58 pm »

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that I can make people read things in my voice by starting my posts letters with just three little words.

Your faithful student,
     Twilight Sparkle

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 01:51:26 pm »

I learned that I should complete that above-ground tower, so that when send my patchwork melee militia to pick off the stragglers my veteran archery squad left behind from the recent siege, they don't get annihilated by two waiting goblin ambushes I didn't even know were there.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:29 pm »

I learned that, when designing fortress defenses, it's more important to prevent the dwarves from going out than the invaders from going in.

In a several years old fort with 150+ dwarves that has survived 5 sieges with a handful of casualties total, suddenly the dwarves completely ignore a burrowing order once the siege troops near the fortress, and instead jump en masse to collect the remains of the last siege, and directly to the goblin shooters. I have 20 casualties for the moment, and the enemy troops haven't even gotten to the surface entrance. Wtf?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 04:21:16 pm »

Are you sure you did not accidentally deleted burrow? This is goddamn too easy to do. No question, just bam! gone.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 04:34:28 pm »

Are you sure you did not accidentally deleted burrow? This is goddamn too easy to do. No question, just bam! gone.

I checked, and deassigned/assigned the dwarves all over again. But meh, dem dorfs are crazy. I'm guessing maybe deleting and setting again the whole burrow would have fixed it, but atm that fortress is doomed already.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 04:37:12 pm »

I learnt that a small militia of a few fully iron-clad fellows is much more likely to survive and, indeed, make kills in an ambush than almost twenty half equipped copper armoured ones. <_<
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 04:45:22 pm »

I learnt that  sending your entire military to kill a forgotten beast isn't such a good idea, as it might decide to take a shortcut and fly up the well while the military is running down to the caverns and pop up in the meeting hall. >:(

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 10:59:51 pm »

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that I can make people read things in my voice by starting my posts letters with just three little words.

Your faithful student,
     Twilight Sparkle
... That is surprisingly effective.

Today I learned that well placed siege weaponry is a far more entertaining first line defense mechanism than traps.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 11:48:43 pm »

Today I learned that clowns are surprisingly easy to deal with - if you take steps to prepare for them.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 01:02:49 am »

Today I learned that clowns are surprisingly easy to deal with - if you take steps to prepare for them.

This describes EVERYTHING in DF.  The problem is figuring out which things to prepare for first. (HINT: Booze is #1.  Everything else you will probably get wrong eventually, resulting in !!Fun!!)

I learned that *large, serrated steel discs* will at least triple the number of hauling jobs after a siege.  I really need to work on a Dodge This!(tm) trap.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 01:49:05 am »

Yesterday (last night, actually), I learnt that Forest Fires are an inevitable consequence of releasing even small bits of magma when in a jungle.

Damn effective against sieges, though.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 02:49:39 am »

It wasn't today but yesterday, but I learned that lingering ghosts seem to enjoy pulling off harmless dwarves' arms off.
This is after three attacks that all left the victim with a missing left upper and lower arm and hand.
They also seem to consider it minor injuries.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10