Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throwing with wrestling  (Read 2131 times)

Camdenbuzard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Throwing with wrestling
« on: May 20, 2011, 05:39:27 pm »

Ok so I was merrily slaughtering woodland creatures for experience when I noticed that throwing a buck rabbit from the wrestling menu cause the creature to sail several tiles away, but I have never been able to duplicate this with larger targets.

What gives? I really want to go through the game slamming people into walls with my throws!

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing with wrestling
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:13:48 pm »

That depends on your and the target's weight. Dorfs are small. You cannot manage to do that too much, and even humans have trouble. If you want that so badly, be a BC.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Camdenbuzard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »

ok next question, is it possible to propel creatures away with body attacks of any kind?

for that matter, is it even still possible in 2010?

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »

ok next question, is it possible to propel creatures away with body attacks of any kind?

Toady has apparently made things a bit more realistic now, so certain factors are important like the creature's overall size, weight, etc...

For example, a Bronze Colossus can punch and throw most humanoids a certain distance at times, especially throwing small critters. So dwarves and such are really somewhat limited in their abilities compared to the days of Cacame or Boatmurdered where legendaries can punt horses over mountains.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:11:39 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

ExdeathV

• Bay Watcher
  • God damn boogeymen. Can't you just let me sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:16:07 pm »

Toady has apparently made things a bit more realistic now, so certain factors are important like the creature's overall size, weight, etc...

For example, a Bronze Colossus can punch and throw most humanoids a certain distance at times, especially throwing small critters. So dwarves and such are really somewhat limited in their abilities compared to the days of Cacame of Boatmurdered where legendaries can punt horses over mountains.
Pretty much this. Modded in an old tortoise monster that was able to send you flying across the screen in a second, he can't do that anymore. Sort of sucks knowing that someday this game will may soon be too realistic to have fun.

Kynrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 04:17:02 am »

For example, a Bronze Colossus can punch and throw most humanoids a certain distance at times, especially throwing small critters. So dwarves and such are really somewhat limited in their abilities compared to the days of Cacame of Boatmurdered where legendaries can punt horses over mountains.
Pretty much this. Modded in an old tortoise monster that was able to send you flying across the screen in a second, he can't do that anymore. Sort of sucks knowing that someday this game will may soon be too realistic to have fun.

That's where mods come in if you don't like fully the original game :) Personnally I love it being so realistic !

Camdenbuzard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 03:05:35 pm »

Personally I wanted to play an invincible engine of destruction after several adventurers died ignominious deaths.

I created a metal I called Starmetal which was basically superheavy adamantine, and made a smaller, faster, stronger version of the bronze colossus with it.

It was everything I hoped it would be.

edit:
You throw the bogeyman by the head with your right upper arm!
The bogeyman slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
The bogeyman has died after colliding with an obstacle

bwahahahaha
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:48:18 pm by Camdenbuzard »

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:10:29 am »

There are many ways to throw/launch larger targets. Getting your strength ridiculously high is one method; another is to mod in weapons with very high velocity modifiers.

Also, inspired by Archer of Fate/stay night, I modded in a bow that shoots swords (well, sword-like objects). I gave it the maximum tensile strength rating. It pretty consistently launches bandits into trees and sends their limbs flying multiple spaces.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:56:24 pm »

Some fighting skill/s, probably wrestling and/or throwing, should really allow you to at least partially negate size difference. It could be like Judo or something (I do not know much about martial arts, but I understand Judo puts a lot of focus on taking advantage of an enemies weight to use against them, although I'm sure plenty of martial arts do that too). Maybe allow small fighters with enough strength and agility to more easily takedown large enemies if you grab their legs or something?

And aren't dwarves (needless to say, going by the standard of the post-Tolkien dwarf image the game already follows to a tee)"supposed" to be stronger than, and able to kick the ass of, a human? I know that its just fiction and there probably hasn't been a single interpretation of dwarves (or most other things) ever which paid as much attention to detail as this game, but its still totally possible. Just look at chimps, they're pretty short, and they can definitely overpower a human. Some people would confirm that from firsthand experience, but they sadly cannot since they suffer a deficiency of faces.

Also, I assume Toady plans to address these issues further down the road?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 09:53:17 am »

Chimps have much denser muscles are because of it, are five times stronger or so than us.

It's not that Dwarves are stronger than humans; it's the build.

Dwarves have always (since D&D) been consider to be stocky short humans. So ergo, they're usually stronger.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:16:51 am »

(I do not know much about martial arts, but I understand Judo puts a lot of focus on taking advantage of an enemies weight to use against them, although I'm sure plenty of martial arts do that too)
From what I've learned to do (Though not Judo.), you usually use your opponent's momentum to your advantage.

Which gives me an idea; if you're attacked in certain ways, you could get special options in wrestling or it would have special effects if you use the right attack, though we'd need to be able to select an option where if we can counter, we can wrestle instead of directly attacking. For instance,

Goblin GerSuck punches you!
It misses!
You counterstrike!
You grab Goblin GerSuck by the arm.
You throw Goblin GerSuck.

In that situation, you get to throw him farther than usual.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 12:16:08 pm »

(I do not know much about martial arts, but I understand Judo puts a lot of focus on taking advantage of an enemies weight to use against them, although I'm sure plenty of martial arts do that too)
From what I've learned to do (Though not Judo.), you usually use your opponent's momentum to your advantage.

Which gives me an idea; if you're attacked in certain ways, you could get special options in wrestling or it would have special effects if you use the right attack, though we'd need to be able to select an option where if we can counter, we can wrestle instead of directly attacking. For instance,

It misses!
You counterstrike!

And lucky you! This is actually something Toady plans to put into the game! Its on the Dev list under combat flow as reaction moves or something like that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 01:02:15 pm »

It misses!
You counterstrike!

And lucky you! This is actually something Toady plans to put into the game! Its on the Dev list under combat flow as reaction moves or something like that.
Great. All we need is a one-inch punch, jumping, and detailed stealth alonng with some assassination requests and I'm set for a ninja adventure.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 07:32:06 pm »

When you throw someone, how does it determine the direction you throw?

You should be able to aim the throw, so you could throw them up a balcony, or off a roof.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.