Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I headed into a town near my old fortress...  (Read 2792 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
I headed into a town near my old fortress...
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:53:47 pm »

My old dwarves were living there. I thought "cool", but it wasn't unusual. I went into another house to see if I can find the beardless jellyfish who stole the adamantine gear I was going to take from my old fortress, only to find that a multitude of dwarves were fighting a clown! I helped, but I found that the clown had all of its limbs removed already; being made of vomit, it was difficult to kill. A random dwarf killed it. The point is, what are the chances of showing up in a town as a clown is attacking? He didn't have a name until he killed 3 of my old dwarfs, too.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:25:06 pm by Putnam »

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I headed into a town near my old fortress...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:32:39 pm »

That calls for a doomsday fort in elf territory. Rig up a cave in to breach the HFS, activated by a lever. Abandon the fort, send a secret agent in, disguised as  adventurer to pull the lever, unleash H**l on the elves. Have the fort pose as a DFC franchise(Dwarven Fried Chicken)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 06:57:42 am »

Wait... so if you abandon a fort, the remaining dwarves go and live in the nearest town?

Ace.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:59:52 am »

Well, legends say they 'flee'. Maybe they settle somewhere eventually.

I call !!SCIENCE!!.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:16:35 pm »

I think they flee into the nearest region; because of the way I have the world set up, nearly every region has a town inside. Therefore, they fleed into the nearest town and started living there.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 09:52:56 pm »

Naw, i think they just head into the wilderness. In earlier versions, have encountered them on the world map. Version .25 has some oddness. First abandoned fort I visited in it, saw both a dwarven caravan, and a elf caravan in buildings in a town close to it. Unfortunately, the fort had no survivors, since I let the circus come visit. Bah!
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:48:33 am »

(Dwarven Fried Chicken Cat)

Fixed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:30:42 pm »

After what putnam experienced, this calls for a new fort near a human town. Turn invasions off, stockpile it with good equip, abandon, then see if the dwarves fled to that town. Would not hurt to get some of my ex legendary fighters as companions.
 P.S I like Dwarven Fried Cats better. Need to figure out side orders for the two paw dinners. Biscuits of course will be sold.
Sincerely,
The Administration

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 12:12:11 am »

I thought I heard toady say in a DF talk podcast that dwarves just kind of cease to exist when you abandon a fortress, as of the current version. I may be wrong though as I can't clearly remember.

As for clowns, if you managed to breach HFS in your fort, it seems that the clowns will spread out and roam around the countryside. That's what I've seen happen anyway. Never seen any that weren't near a fort with a passage to HFS.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:47:00 am »

I thought I heard toady say in a DF talk podcast that dwarves just kind of cease to exist when you abandon a fortress, as of the current version. I may be wrong though as I can't clearly remember.

No, if you get there fast enough and are lucky enough you can sometimes even see the dwarves hanging out in your old fort area a bit. No figure, historical or otherwise, just "disappears" (except undead of course! hehe)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 12:41:04 pm »

Yea, you're right. I don't know what I'm talking about: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80488.0

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »

No, if you get there fast enough and are lucky enough you can sometimes even see the dwarves hanging out in your old fort area a bit. No figure, historical or otherwise, just "disappears" (except undead of course! hehe)

I once made a tiny wooden shack filled with obsidian shortswords and enormous iron corkscrews for weaponry for new adventurers, and after abandonning i sent my new adventurer there ASAP, all 7 of the dwarves were still there. I even managed to recruit the carpenter/woodcutter, which was the best companion ever.