Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why isn't this mood working? [ETA] Fix'd?  (Read 1625 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't this mood working?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 12:35:37 am »

From the wiki!

Fey dwarves will sometimes ask for rock bars. This is just a typographical error, caused by stones and metals having been joined into a single "inorganic" material type in version 0.31 - they are actually asking for metal bars.

Related to the above behavior, moody dwarves demanding rock blocks will also accept blocks forged from metal bars.

Moody metalworkers may occasionally require a specific type of metal as their artifact's primary material - for secretive moods and possessions, take a look at the dwarf's material preferences to see which metal the dwarf wants to use.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 02:06:50 am »

To the coke&charcoal thing: No, they're not.

Anyway, while too late here's what I have. It MIGHT be that the guy was gathering all that cloth due to the fuckery with being in a wrong burrow. So anyway, if he suddenly stopped to gather anything, maybe it wasn't the rock that was messing him up, but he wanted some different type of cloth. Did you have any yarn cloth or thread?

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 02:43:37 am »

Anyway, while too late here's what I have. It MIGHT be that the guy was gathering all that cloth due to the fuckery with being in a wrong burrow. So anyway, if he suddenly stopped to gather anything, maybe it wasn't the rock that was messing him up, but he wanted some different type of cloth. Did you have any yarn cloth or thread?

Forgot to pause the game before alt-tabbing; an ambush slaughtered my military and was making merry work of the useless civvies, so I'm back to boggling at Urist McMoron Clothier.

He's not in a burrow and wasn't until I made one to encourage him to grab some damn rock; I might have had a military burrow lockdown when he mooded.  I have silk, yarn, and plant fiber cloth and thread available.

Honestly, I'm inclined to savescum again just to find out why the little bugger is... well, bugged.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 02:47:05 am »

This is odd--forbade all the cloth he'd claimed and tasked in the clothier's workshop, then unforbade--and he ignored it.  Deconstructed the dyers' workshop and he bolted for the cloth that had been inside them instead.  Hunh.

ETA - Forbade his newly-picked cloth, and he ignored it and didn't grab any more...  In my experience, if a moody dwarf is stalled in a workshop, he'll instantly re-grab any materials once unforbidden.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:51:30 am by melomel »
7+7

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 03:45:52 am »

Odd. If he's aiming for crap in workshops, maybe he doesn't have access to it somehow(despite him having it) and that's making him stand around? Would there happen to be a piece of rock at some workshop close-by and he wants THAT one?

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 04:44:23 am »

The dyer's workshops were only a few steps from the clothier's, and the cloth shouldn't've been tasked for anything--I deleted the cloth stockpiles, and even if a McHauler was going to drag the fabric off to a bin, they would've showed up as TSK'd, right?

Savescumming again sees Urist McWeirdo collecting every single solitary scrap of silk fabric in the fortress.

I drafted a few dorfs into web collection/weaving, and he's snatching the silk as soon as it's made.

I deleted all the burrows, after making sure he wasn't assigned to any of them.

Thoroughly baffled.  Some kind of bug?

He's up to two and a half (t) page-scrolls' worth of silk.  o_0
7+7

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 05:00:18 am »

I've had the odd guy hang up like this. He doesn't seem to go for what it is he needs when it's right there. Even with no burrows. There is probably some kind of preference or something messed up where it thinks he can really get something but can't, but won't go for an alternative.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 05:08:20 am »

Sounds like he's making a mattress.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 05:14:35 am »

He finally stopped collecting silk, but won't pick up anything else.  Dammit.  I really want to see what he'd make, if he didn't go loony toons...

Sounds like he's making a mattress.

Maybe that explains it...  dwarf beds being solid logs; he knows making something comfy to sleep on would be a sin against Armok and he just can't bring himself to commit the atrocity.
7+7

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 07:06:32 am »

In that case, couldn't he simply make "menacing spikes of microcline"?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 07:11:23 am »

And stud it with your most valuable gems (especially the really hard ones like diamonds.)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 07:11:43 am »

I'm pretty sure you're running into the bug with artifacts where the claimed workshop is outside of the burrow, and the dwarf collects hundreds of items of the type he wants.  Are you sure the civilian alert is cancelled?  Because that works just like assigning each dwarf to a burrow, and would lead to exactly the behavior you are getting.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 07:20:05 am »

If you forbid-unforbid an item claimed (tasked) by the mood and he doesn't pick it up again right away (retask it), it's definitely a burrow problem.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 10:07:51 am »

Does your current civilian alert level have active burrow restrictions?

If your current civilian alert level has active burrow restrictions and your moody dwarf's workshop is not within one of those burrows, then he's trying to create another Planepacked and will continue to try and collect the first ingredient (i.e. silk cloth) until you either add the workshop to one of the burrows or switch to a civilian alert level that does not have any burrow restrictions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 11:49:05 am »

I'm pretty sure you're running into the bug with artifacts where the claimed workshop is outside of the burrow, and the dwarf collects hundreds of items of the type he wants. Are you sure the civilian alert is cancelled?  Because that works just like assigning each dwarf to a burrow, and would lead to exactly the behavior you are getting.

Absolutely 100% positive.  I think the fort was on lockdown when he mooded, but it's most certainly not any more.  The workshop and all the cloth he claimed was in the one "catch-all" burrow, and I didn't actually have dwarves assigned to it.  (Generic covering-the-hub-of-the-fort "stay inside" burrow.)
7+7
Pages: 1 [2] 3