Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)  (Read 12471 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:38 pm »

UPDATE.

Oregon, you have an awesome Senator in Ron Wyden.
Quote from: Wyden's Office
“In December of last year I placed a hold on similar legislation, commonly called COICA, because I felt the costs of the legislation far outweighed the benefits. After careful analysis of the Protect IP Act, or PIPA, I am compelled to draw the same conclusion. I understand and agree with the goal of the legislation, to protect intellectual property and combat commerce in counterfeit goods, but I am not willing to muzzle speech and stifle innovation and economic growth to achieve this objective. At the expense of legitimate commerce, PIPA’s prescription takes an overreaching approach to policing the Internet when a more balanced and targeted approach would be more effective. The collateral damage of this approach is speech, innovation and the very integrity of the Internet.

"The Internet represents the shipping lane of the 21st century. It is increasingly in America’s economic interest to ensure that the Internet is a viable means for American innovation, commerce, and the advancement of our ideals that empower people all around the world. By ceding control of the Internet to corporations through a private right of action, and to government agencies that do not sufficiently understand and value the Internet, PIPA represents a threat to our economic future and to our international objectives. Until the many issues that I and others have raised with this legislation are addressed, I will object to a unanimous consent request to proceed to the legislation."

Everyone else sucks for letting this pass the Senate Committee. call them or e-mail them or something!

Ars Technica Article
TorrentFreak Article
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2011, 03:11:57 pm »

Reading that quote, that guy is awesome.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2011, 03:24:48 pm »

I know its sort of died down, but I'd just like to say, Criptfiends arguments in this thread have convinced me, and I want to make a confession.

I am a dirty rotten thief. I steal yogurt. And the worse part is, I don't even know who I'm stealing from because I forgot where I got the original culture, and now every single day I am stealing from that unknown company. I want to stop, I really do, but I think I'm just too selfish a person - I cannot bring myself to stop stealing the yogurt. And I don't even have any intention of actually buying the yogurt now that I've tasted it - even though I like it!

I'm a terrible person.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2011, 03:29:06 pm »

It's like he almost feels an obligation to protect everyone's interests, not just the ones that are lobbying the shit out of Congress to pass this.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2011, 04:01:40 pm »

Just thinking of the loss of record-company and movie-studio profits due to web piracy fills me with a combination of acedia and schadenfreude
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2011, 03:14:10 pm »

Really the piracy stuff is secondary to the objection to this law.

This law not only has the US promoting themselves to global police and censors of the internet, but completely does away with due process to boot - a private suit can remove your business from existence /without legal warning of any kind and without trial/. This is the true face of corporate-sponsored Fascism in America.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »

i would just like to say how much i'm thankful for ron wyden right now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2011, 05:51:03 pm »

This law not only has the US promoting themselves to global police and censors of the internet, [...]

Obviously impossible and ultimately laughable.  Everyone knows that British superinjunction-ruling Judges are the ones to censor the internet. :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2011, 06:32:29 pm »

Is this the act that led to the creation of a Firefox Plugin that will redirect you to the websites IP address automatically if the DNS is ever messed with by the government?

And then they told Firefox to remove said app, but Firefox asked them if they were legally required to, at which they backed off.

I forgot the name of the plugin though, but it's an awesome idea. Anything that ruins the governments idiotic attempts at censorship and control is good with me. And said plugin makes them messing up the DNS completely pointless :) Even if they DO remove sites from DNS listings, all someone would have to do is get the IP address from one of the internet news sites that's bound to post it, and bookmark it. But I like it being automatic much better.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »

That plugin was made in responce to the ICE/"Homeland Security" Domain Seizures ridiculosity. Its is now a Chrome plugin as well,so all the better for spreading it I suppose.

This is just Idiots being idiots, but with the addition of massive piles of lobbyist contributions reviving, changing for the worse, and pushing for a specific bill and one non-idiot doing the right thing and blocking it again.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »

I've already written letters to both my senators. Fellow B12'ers, write in if you want to see change. The aldermen of my area are all family friends, and I may have a chance to talk with Senator Durbin soon. All of our raeg-speech counts for naught if it is said to the walls.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2011, 08:27:51 pm »

I've already written letters to both my senators. Fellow B12'ers, write in if you want to see change. The aldermen of my area are all family friends, and I may have a chance to talk with Senator Durbin soon. All of our raeg-speech counts for naught if it is said to the walls.

Done. Well, half. I'll need to construct a letter with entirely different rhetoric for the Democratic one. Possibly tomorrow, I'll do that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2011, 08:29:38 pm »

So..... since I can't read nor understand legal-speak, is there a neutral summary of this bill somewhere? What exactly is it supposed to do that's so repulsive?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2011, 08:31:00 pm »

Instead of, or better yet in addition to, lobbying congress we should try and find out what corporations have lobbied for this law and boycott them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2011, 08:33:18 pm »

So..... since I can't read nor understand legal-speak, is there a neutral summary of this bill somewhere? What exactly is it supposed to do that's so repulsive?
Its allowing corporations to use a federal law and "private right of action" to wield Copyright infringement like a massive banhammer of doomy blacklisting +1, sans due process.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18