Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)  (Read 12535 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: The PROTECT IP act. (USA)
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »

"To steal" has traditionally involved taking something away from somebody, and people believe that the lack of this quality makes piracy deserving of a new term. Counterfeiting really is better, honestly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2011, 10:36:58 pm »

Counterfeiting only half fits piracy. Piracy is not 100% stealing or counterfeiting. Piracy is piracy.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »

There is a difference between stealing a musician's digital audio file and buying their car. If you buy their car, you have a car and they do not. They get money and you lose money. Stealing the digital audio file would be like building an exact replica of the car at no cost to either of you and driving it around. Nobody lost money, nobody gained money. You just have a car.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2011, 10:57:03 pm »

There is a difference between stealing a musician's digital audio file and buying their car. If you buy their car, you have a car and they do not. They get money and you lose money. Stealing the digital audio file would be like building an exact replica of the car at no cost to either of you and driving it around. Nobody lost money, nobody gained money. You just have a car.

The Trouble Coming from the Musician's Life Earnings coming from selling Replica's of his Car, a car that he spent much of his own time creating.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2011, 11:29:00 pm »

People actually buy pirated songs? That's wheels-on-ducks retarded. Most people either pirate it themselves or pay the artist. If they feel like they have to pay for something, they usually want it to go to the creator.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2011, 11:34:36 pm »

My favorite toy as a child was a wooden duck on wheels.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2011, 11:38:25 pm »

Wheels-on-ducks retarded?

I understand the retarded part but the wheels on ducks part is very confusing...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2011, 11:41:05 pm »

Probably the reference.

Barbarossa: What did that comment have to do with the discussion? I'm not entirely sure what sparked it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2011, 11:43:47 pm »

The discussion about whether or not piracy was stealing sparked my comment about piracy and stealing.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2011, 11:45:41 pm »

The discussion about whether or not piracy was stealing sparked my comment about piracy and stealing.

I meant about buying pirated songs. This one:

People actually buy pirated songs? That's wheels-on-ducks retarded. Most people either pirate it themselves or pay the artist. If they feel like they have to pay for something, they usually want it to go to the creator.

I don't see an assertion nearby regarding people buying pirated songs, and the only ones I can think of in the entire thread were along the lines of, "It's okay if I buy something after pirating it".

EDIT: I'm not trying to pick a fight, btw, it was meant as an honest question. Sorry if I came off as aggressive about it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2011, 11:53:18 pm »

No aggression input or output. All clear.

The Trouble Coming from the Musician's Life Earnings coming from selling replicas of his car, a car that he spent much of his own time creating.
This line appeared to refer to the selling of the pirated songs, in my metaphor referred to as car replicas.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2011, 11:56:30 pm »

The Trouble Coming from the Musician's Life Earnings coming from selling replicas of his car, a car that he spent much of his own time creating.
This line appeared to refer to the selling of the pirated songs, in my metaphor referred to as car replicas.

Ahh, okay. I think the intent was to make clear that even the songs people buy legally are replicas of the original anyway. At least, that was how I understood it, but I can't really speak for Realmfighter. That said, yeah, I hear there's a hell of a bootleg market for movies depending on where you live, though I'm not sure about songs.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2011, 12:05:11 am »

So said Musician makes a New car for everyone he Sells too? Also, how can a Musician Pirate from himself. And then sell those Pirated Copies.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2011, 12:37:35 am »

Ahh, okay. I think the intent was to make clear that even the songs people buy legally are replicas of the original anyway. At least, that was how I understood it, but I can't really speak for Realmfighter. That said, yeah, I hear there's a hell of a bootleg market for movies depending on where you live, though I'm not sure about songs.
Buying a bootleg movie/game costs 1-2 dollars (or more/less depending on where you live). Getting a internet connection and computer good enough to download a game/movie in a few hours-1 day is much more expensive. And buying the game/movie legally is 10 times more expensive then buying it illegally (if you can even find it where you live) so buying it illegally is the best option.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2011, 01:59:48 am »

That depends on how much you pirate. If you can pirate enough goods to make up for the cost of the computer in less time than it took you to raise money to buy the computer and internet connection, it's still a 'profit'. Then again, most people on the internet already have computers to use.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18