Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Silverfires the Second (.25, open) - Goblin Attacks Daily!  (Read 3470 times)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Silverfires the Second (.25, open)
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 11:22:01 am »

This is going to lead maybe to melancholy... Shoot, I haven't considered what to do if the overseer dies...
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 11:49:20 pm »

17th Malachite
There is a hunter who has the same name as her. I have been trying to avoid her, but today I was force to pass by her in the halls. She smile at me. It wasn't a genuine smile, she was mocking me. I see how they whisper when I walk past. I see them point and laugh. I am a joke. This must have all been Hussieevil's goal in the beginning. He says he is my friend, but I know this isn't true. A friend wouldn't have put me in this position, but he did.

1st Galena
The animal dissector went insane. New migrants arrived. I am still a joke. Lets see how much a of joke I am when I take my pick axe and kill the insane man. I guess it could still be consider a dark joke though.

15th Galena
Humans. At least with them all dwarfs are jokes. Lets see what their caravan has to offer.

1st Limestone
Fall. The name really fits the mood of the season. The fall of Summer to the cold bitch that is Winter. Fall. Phase two of the art gallery has begun. Sometimes I feel like I may never see it finish. I won't let that happen for her.

11th Limestone
Traded some of JohnnyDigs' stonecrafts for a variety of shark leather and meat. A heard of boars soon ran by the entrance after the trading was done with. "Its an Omen," I said to the humans. The humans replied back, "And its our lunch."

22nd Limestone
The animal dissector died of thirst. It seems like this happens to all the mad men. I can't wait to join them.

Something terrible is about to happen. I can feel it.

OOC:
Aussieevil, my guy really isn't that sad in the game. He is in fact ecstatic. In these posts on the other hand...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:39:41 pm by cappstv »
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 04:06:38 pm »

17th Malachite
cappstv has stopped talking to me. I know full well the reason - some things have been happening during his turn that he is less than pleased with. Had I not been forced to pass overseership to another dwarf at the end of the year, how would I have handled these events?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:17:46 pm by aussieevil »

Nem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 09:28:29 am »

So what now?

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 10:18:24 am »

cappstv finishes his turn and uploads his save.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2011, 02:27:13 am »

My turn will be complete by tomorrow. A few interesting things happened, and I still need to do some of the writing.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2011, 08:57:15 am »

Shoot, it turns out I'm not gonna have time to do my turn, ya'll!  Stupid RL!  Still, I'll follow this with interest!  Sorry!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »

24th Limestone
More migrants. A badger boar and one of our surgeons got into a little tussle. It was rather interesting.

22nd Sandstone
A rabbit gave birth to some bunnies today. They are probably the one cute thing left in this hell hole.

1st Timber
A month till the dreaded winter.

10th Timber
There is a fucking ghost chasing around one of our weavers. It appears that no one ever properly dispose of the body of our favorite maddwarf, Tobul the animal dissector. Oh and there is miasma in our food stockpile, so that is nice. They probably all already blame me for this. 

14th Timber
Another caravan. I wonder if we were to give their Tobul's body, would we still be haunted? The rest of the fortress would probably declare this is irresponsible, so I probably won't do it. The caravan wouldn't probably want a dead body in the first place.

15th Timber
Our liaison from the Mountain Homes is also name Tobul. Funny.

20th Timber
Interesting story, today I was walking through the hallway when I came upon a small kitten. The name of this cat is Sodel Amostasas and it has a very distinctive meow. Hmm, it appears there is a ruckus outside, I need to finish this story a bit latter.

The Ambush
"Someone pull that lever! The goblins are almost right on top of us! We can't let them cross that bridge!" As he shouted orders it almost felt like to Hussieevil that he was in charge again. The feeling became fleeting once Cappstv arrived on the scene. "What is going on here?" The current overseer asked. Cappstv's voice sounded like it should belong to a dead man, even more so then the howling cries of the spirit of the late Tobul.

Aussieevil turned towards Cappstv and bit his lip. He looked into the dwarf's eyes, and saw a great emptiness. He never before seen one dwarf change so much. Aussieevil pointed up and said, "Goblin ambush." Unfortunately Cappstv's attention was deverted away from him and towards the liaison, who wanted to finalize some documents. So Aussieevil repeated himself, but this time with more emphasis," THERE IS A FUCKING GOBLIN AMBUSH!". This got Cappstv's attention.

Concurrently, a dwarf by the name of Iteb Olinocig was running towards the lever for the bridge. He knew that great glory was upon him, for he had the whole fate of the fortress in his hands. The simple fisherdwarf knew that once this task was complete he would be known as the hero of Silverfires. That was, until he wuss out when he saw just how sharp those goblin's swords were. The fate of the fortress then rested in the hands of not the coward Isteb, but the dwarf caravan's guards.

The goblins were now crossing the bridge. Work was still being done on the art gallery. Tobul the Ghost was still haunting. JohnnyDigs just completed another masterpiece. Life was still carrying on as normal in the rest of the settlement. And life would still go on, all because of one speardwarf from the caravan who went by the name Libash Loloretas. As soon as the goblins got over the bridge Libash entered a martial trance quickly took out a goblin swordsman and a spearsman. The rest of the ambush party took this as their cue to leave, and ran back over the bridge as Libash chase them around the surrounding area. The lever was then pulled, and the goblins ran back home.

"Well, it looks like it has already been taken care of, Hussieevil." Cappstv said with even more bitterness then normal. He then made his way out of the scene, leaving Aussieevil wondering just why he made that dwarf overseer.

25th Timber
The ruckus was a goblin ambush. The cat is dead, no need to tell that story now. The caravan will be leaving us soon.

1st Moonstone
Winter. Cold bitter winter. Of course it doesn't get too cold here, but that doesn't matter. Winter is a feeling, not just a season.

20th Moonstone
The water freeze today.

22nd Moonstone
Great. We have snow now. Fortunately none of it is sticking.

24th Moonstone
The snow is sticking.

14th Opal
I decided to make the little trench below our bridge into a moat. Won't be much use in the winter, but it might drown a few goblins in the summer.

15th Opal. Day of the Accident

The Aftermath
He drifted in and out of consciousness. He lay in a pile of his own vomit, and look up towards the sky. The bridge was raised, just like how he order it to be before he set out on his task. There was no reason for anyone to go near where he was at. He couldn't shout loud enough for anyone to hear him.

Aussieevil was the first one to notice that he disappeared. But this didn't alarm him, for Cappstv would go for months without showing his face. Life went on without the overseer just fine. On the 28th of Opal while Cappstv drifted back into unconsciousness once more, Ustuth Kalurudil gave birth to a little baby girl. For the first time since the beginning of the reign of Cappstv, hope filled the settlement. Hope, which did not reach Cappstv.

Towards the End of Winter
I am currently writing this message on a piece of rock I found with my pickaxe. It is slow and tedious work, but I am still doing it anyway.  I have no idea what the date is, but I know spring is going to be here soon, and I know when that happens the ice is going to melt and flood this trench. I am going to drown. This is my fault, just like everything else. I will not see Lafiel's tomb be finish. I should have known. I always fall through with my promises, I always do.

No one is coming to save me. They all hate me. If you find this rock, and if you found my journal, well I hope you were entertain. Because I wasn't.

The Drowning of Cappstv
On the 8th of Obsidian all the snow melted. The ice didn't melt with the snow. The consequences of this became well known when on the 12th of Obsidian a beekeeper died of thirst. Still, the rest of the settlement was in good shape, for unlike the beekeeper, they didn't need just plain water and had plenty of alcohol left.

Then, on the 14th of Obsidian...

After the moat was filled up with water someone finally decided to take initiative and let down the bridge so everyone could fill their buckets up with water once more. And as they cross the bridge, one of them notice a downward slope leading into the moat. And on this slope was the body of Cappstv. When the water flooded the moat, he manage to float towards the slope.

The woodcutter who found him picked him up and drag him back towards the fortress. On the same day, a party was thrown, and another dwarf withdrew from society. Oh yes, that was a very eventful day for the month of Obsidian.

Soon they figured out that both of Cappstv's arms and his right leg were broken. He was going have to rest for a while. On the 25th of Obsidian the dwarf who withdrew from society created his artifact, an ashen bracelet by the name of Nosingodur. At the same time SirAaronIII began to clean Cappstv's wounds.

1st Granite
They tell me it is the first day of Spring. I guess that means I will have to select an overseer sometime today. I still can't believe that I am alive. I kept that rock, and transcribe it all into this journal. SirAaronnIII says I am pretty broken. I feel broken. But strangely, I don't feel empty anymore. I guess I might just see that art gallery get finish. I shouldn't be writing now, I just rambling. I need more sleep. Anyway, I hope my journal entertain you. I am going to start a new one, I feel like I need a fresh start. Maybe someday, I will come back to it and it will entertain me too.

OOC:
Here is the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4459

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 05:08:15 pm »

Alright, will get on it tomorrow. It's a bit late now  :P

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 12:05:49 am »

Good luck.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 02:00:48 am »

Actually, on second thought I'll better sign out. I don't think I want to participate in a succession where the creator can't even make sure to list the nicknames of people instead of links to their profiles...  ::)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 02:19:52 am »

All right, you've been removed.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 08:49:59 am »

[Working on the turn now. I hope I can save cappstv from the infections.
Also, that enormous room some levels underground is the art gallery?]

1st of Granite, sometime in the afternoon, Silverfires' meeting hall, 253

"Comrades, let me have your attention for a second.

I know the recent accident of our overseer cappstv, the goblin ambush and all the other events have affected us all greatly, but this is no reason to let this fortress crumble. Look at yourselves. Half of you have been doing nothing but wander around and drink whatever few reserves of wine we have left at nonsensical parties, although there's plenty of work to do. This has to end now. I know we can be better dwarves than that. We have to make our families and gods not victims of our dishonor but proud of what we will do from now on. You all know me, I'm Goden Shootclinch and I got here on the last migrant caravan. I'm but a simple cheesemaker who got here looking for fortune. When news get back to my family there in the mountainhomes, I want them to know that I went to live in the best and most prosperous mountain halls of the world.

Because if you can give me your trust for this year, I will make you work hard. Forget about throwing a single party until next new years eve's. But when we meet again in this room next year, you will all be happier than you ever had, more secure, more rich, and you all will be able proudly say to anyone that you're citizens of Silverfires. It won't be an easy path, but for Children of Armok like us there's none other. What do you say, friends?"

2nd of Granite, a.k.a. "What do you mean there's no soap?"

The doctor filled me in about the status of cappstv. His body had been showing some progress since his rescue, and the medic dwarfs were doing everything they knew to treat his extensive wounds, but from a few days before they were starting to show signs of infection. Despite continuous cleaning efforts, it wasn't going away. He needed soap to treat the infection, but there wasn't a single bar of it in the whole fort. In fact... there wasn't lye. Nor even tallow. There WAS some ash, though, but was lying in an obscure part of a stockpile down at the workshops level. Two kitchens were mandated immediately, as well as two wood burners (plus the one that was already in place), an ashery and a soap making shop. All the animals that weren't immediately needed were marked for sacrifice. If everything went right, there was a chance to save cappstv's life. He deserved it after holding to his life for months lying in that trench. Plus, I had heard of the reason of his mental state; his girlfriend seemingly had perished in a weird mining accident as well. No need to add insult to injury and let him die too.

There were many other things to do as well. The drink levels were very low, and that had to be looked at. There was also no kind of militia; I selected the 11 dwarves that seemed less busy in the meeting hall, and brought them apart to tell them of their new assignments. We were lacking proper weapons and equipment, but that would be solved in time; now they had to train.

13th of Slate, a.k.a. "Soapy times"

The first bar of soap had been just produced, fresh out of the workshop. It was being carried to the stockpile, and the medics awaited eagerly for it. A new underground well had also been carved too, in prevention of the water in the moat freezing up and leaving the fort without a water supply. Now we would never be in that danger again. Work on the guard towers had begun, and the foundations were being set, carving the ground around as needed. The lever of the entrance bridge was being moved to a control room in the workshop level - that would prevent infiltrators from sabotaging it, and would secure its access as well.

15th of Slate, a.k.a. "Close, but no"

When the doctor arrived at cappstv's room with the precious bar of soap, it was already too late. An appropiate casket was prepared, which was to be placed into the big room himself had called "the art gallery", which was being prepared as a catacomb.

21th of Slate, a.k.a. "Volunteers for the butcher"

A large wave of migrants arrived, 19 of them. 6 of them were recruited to join our crescent army, the rest were put to work in the different specialties. The fort had reached a population of 71.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:57:19 am by Lafiel »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 01:04:38 pm »

15th of Slate, a.k.a. "Close, but no"

When the doctor arrived at cappstv's room with the precious bar of soap, it was already too late. An appropiate casket was prepared, which was to be placed into the big room himself had called "the art gallery", which was being prepared as a catacomb.

Ouch...

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 04:19:34 pm »

17th of Felsite, a.k.a. "Green blues"

Some of the workers that were working on the first level of the towers caught a glimpse of an elven caravan approaching en route to our entrance, but when they were right in front of the retractable bridge a goblin squadron that had been in hiding jumped out and started attacking the carriers. Since pulling the bridge up would be a bad idea, both the melee squadron and the marksdwarf squadron were sent out to deal with the goblins. We had two maimed dwarfs, but we trapped three of the goblins and scared the rest, and the elves made it to the depot. They agreed to exchange wood and cages in exchange of some of the stone crafts that were filling our stockpiles all over the fortress.

28th Hematite, a.k.a. "Expensive madness"

One of the craftsdwarves, Doren Vashsolon, who was supposed to be working on bone bolts, got suddently a flash of inspiration, and decided to go bigger and expensive-er. After taking a couple of platinum nuggets that were waiting to be smelt, he somehow built some kind of native platinum sceptre. I couldn't deny it was beautiful, but something like a platinum battle axe would have been much more handy in our situation.

While the work in the fortifications kept progressing, a goblin snatcher got trapped in a cage. I decided to plan the construction of a training room/arena for our militia.

17th Galena, a.k.a. "You got to be kidding me..."

The workers yet again gave voice that a caravan was nearing through the recently built bridge above the river. Once again, when they got right by the entrance and all the workers were busying themselves carrying bins up and down, two groups of goblins appeared out of nowhere, and started shooting everyone who got near. One of the human guards, our mayor Otheb Thadascilob, Urdim Fikodroluk, and Savolainen5 were struck down almost immediately by a wave of arrows. Everyone was called inside at once and the bridge was ordered closed.

However, for some reason the bridge wasn't working. Although half of the goblins had fallen victims of traps, the others presented a serious problem, and were already advancing onto the fortress' entrance. The two militia squads presented battle, and finally made them flee, although at a very high price. 10 dwarves of the militia were killed, and five more suffered injures of diverse level.

After the enemy presence was removed, I ordered the bridge mechanisms checked. Turned out there was an error on the burrow assignations for the operators that prevented them from pulling the appropiate lever.

2nd sandstone, a.k.a. "Stress therapy"

Following the disgraceful result of the last goblin incursion, a small tantrum storm started in the fortress. In one of the episodes of madness, a hunter beat one of our blacksmiths to death.

24th sandstone "Join the legion they said"

The tantrum spiral seemed to have receded, just in time for a new wave of immigrants. Our numbers were back to 74, and the militia numbers were also partly replenished. I volunteered for the melee squadron to rise a bit the moral of the troops. Its equipment continued to be quite poor, but between the goblin equipment we could salvage and whatever equipment we could produce by ourselves, it was slowly getting better and better.

27th sandstone, in a hurry.

Etin! The damned thing is approaching very, very fast. I don't think the woodworkers outside can make it in time if we close the doors to the monster. I'm going outside with the troops. I've ordered the bridge closed behind us in case we fail, and may Armok have mercy on us this time.

From the new mayor diaries, 27th sandstone:

The Etir is trapped in a cage, after a very cruent fight. The overseer, Goden Keskalakgos, has died, so I'll be taking charge of the rest until the next overseer steps up in the spring. There have been three more deaths in the militia as well, but it could have been worse had the monster not done a missted directly inside one of our traps.

17th Timber:

The workers of the towers, that are already on its second level, have sighted another caravan coming. It's probably the liaison's one, from the mountainhomes. I've instructed everyone to be extra careful and not get out if it's not necessary; we can't forget what happened the last two times traders came by.

23th obsidian:

And there they are. A woodworker who got outside caught a glimpse of movements behind some trees, and got shot from two different directions across the river. I've ordered the bridge closed. He is probably toast as of now, but we can't do much about it with our troops as they are now. The ballistas, though, are already in place, and maybe we'll get lucky with them when the greenskins get nearer.

1st of Granite:

The new overseer will be taking charge now. I've drawn a little scheme of the front of the fortress as it stands now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[The save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4481 ]

[That's basically it. 3 ambushes and an Etin. I planned to advance quite a lot more with the tower construction, but dwarves spent the whole year either carrying stuff all over the place, in hide or dying :P  And I wanted a peaceful year...]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:01:42 pm by Lafiel »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4