Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magic in general; Just a few ideas  (Read 1857 times)

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Magic in general; Just a few ideas
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:19:20 pm »

I think Toady has plans for this, but I'm just adding my two cents.

Firstly, magic should definitely be a weapon. Imagine the necromancers and magicians, evil or otherwise, firing bolts of lightning and shooting fireballs. One word: Brilliant. Perhaps the ability to train your dwarves in the ways of magic? (The necessity to find magic books to teach more powerful spells? Spells of highly varying types? (Invisibility, Destruction, Buffing, etc.)).

Apart from learning spells in general, potions with different ingredients could be made and put in the hospital (like an early type of medicine?). Perhaps an 'anti-necromancer' with the ability to destroy zombies with one word. Finally, a noble 'High Magician' who stocks the magical books or slabs the fortress has.

As I said, don't know how much of this is just repetition of what will actually happen. But just laying out some basic ideas :) Tell me what you think!
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic in general; Just a few ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »

I got the impression that he was going to make it more like this (and I really like this concept of it, too):

http://www.armageddon.org/rp/magick/index.html

(Not quite so much this part. Mostly in the same RP way, but this is an interesting read, too.)
http://www.armageddon.org/general/magick.html

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:03:53 pm »

just dot have magic missile as a gun for Magicians.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:26:49 am »

Personally, I wouldn't mind magic being in the game. But one it should be moddable, creatures should also have a [HAS_MAGIC] tag in them. Without it, no spells. Secondly I hope that it isn't the standard "lol your head just exploded" generic magic from other games. Perhaps more of an alchemy magic, where science could explain it but no one other then the inventor or a few intelligent folks can actually understand it. Most others would just think it's magic.

Furthermore, I really don't want to see dwarves have magic. I would like to have mods that give dwarves magic, so we should have the ability to have magic in fortress mode. But at the moment, I believe dwarven magic is in their creations. Artifacts are already sort of magic, so that's all that I would like to see in vanilla.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:56:42 am »

Finally. A use for our lead. :)

I want to see generic magic buff items dwarfified. Magical trinkets and armor and the such, with added bonuses that draws from a system so complex you never know what you'll get. Will that enchanted shield that boosts the users happiness when eating cheese ever be useful? Will your goat herder ever wear those boots of increased grass growth?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »

I think Toady has plans for this, but I'm just adding my two cents.

Firstly, magic should definitely be a weapon. Imagine the necromancers and magicians, evil or otherwise, firing bolts of lightning and shooting fireballs. One word: Brilliant. Perhaps the ability to train your dwarves in the ways of magic? (The necessity to find magic books to teach more powerful spells? Spells of highly varying types? (Invisibility, Destruction, Buffing, etc.)).

Apart from learning spells in general, potions with different ingredients could be made and put in the hospital (like an early type of medicine?). Perhaps an 'anti-necromancer' with the ability to destroy zombies with one word. Finally, a noble 'High Magician' who stocks the magical books or slabs the fortress has.

As I said, don't know how much of this is just repetition of what will actually happen. But just laying out some basic ideas :) Tell me what you think!

Please don't have these stupid generic magic things in DF it would kill the dark fantasy atmosphere and be way too gamey!
I think that if magic is added it should be somewhat random and maybe more like a tribal idea of magic like the aborigines have. Plus there have been a hundred other suggestion posts just like this. Dorf magic should be directly tied to artifacts and other of their inventions not "I cast fireball with a 50% chance of doing extra damage for 5 turns!"
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:10:57 pm »

in the mood of dwarf fortress i want to see my fort being ripped trough the fabric of dimentions from a neutral to a hounting/terribad area or a relic pickaxe mining super fast and save all that is mined, but for ever mined square the dwarf gets a bruse and things like that

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 03:53:21 pm »

Please don't have these stupid generic magic things in DF it would kill the dark fantasy atmosphere and be way too gamey!

Didn't Conan the Barbarian have a sorcerer battle that ended with one sorcerer using telekenesis to fry the other's head?

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »

Didn't Conan the Barbarian have a sorcerer battle that ended with one sorcerer using telekenesis to fry the other's head?
I don't know I've never read/watched/played/whatever Conan the Barbarian.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 12:46:00 pm »

Elves already have magic, how else do they stay hidden in adventure mode? O.o Apparently they share the same magic with the dwarves as well, or possibly want to keep such evil kitten-eating beasts away from the world.

Dwarves are magical as well, they sometimes teleport when they sleep.

"Urist Mcherblist rubs mending salve on Urist Mcstubb's left pinkie"
"Urist Mccleric cancels mendbone: Target dead"
"Urist Mccleric casts life+9 on Urist Mcnohelmet"
"Urist Mcmage cancels summon phantom warrior: Out of mana"
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 03:05:34 pm »

i feel that magic is very very hard to obtain, but if you get some high end wizards they take something really tough to take them out.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:59:56 am »

just like jedi
nothing

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 03:12:01 am »

Why not be able to learn some spells from the first Armok game when you're good enough?
Beating someone to death with your own liver has always been awesome.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 09:41:34 am »

Shooting fireballs and lightning bolts isn't dwarfy, unless we're talking about handgonnes that fire pitch-covered flaming shot or ballistae that fire enormous oopper lightning-rods. If dorfs have magic, it should be ritual, artifact or astrology based, or, like darkninja1213 said, real-world magic.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:57:01 am »

Shooting fireballs and lightning bolts isn't dwarfy, unless we're talking about handgonnes that fire pitch-covered flaming shot or ballistae that fire enormous oopper lightning-rods. If dorfs have magic, it should be ritual, artifact or astrology based, or, like darkninja1213 said, real-world magic.
I demand a spell which spawns an elf-baby shooting catapult. Now THAT'S dwarfy.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: [1] 2