Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved fire and burning  (Read 687 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improved fire and burning
« on: May 18, 2011, 02:26:09 pm »

Items on dwarves catch fire
Just like how DF was before 0.31, clothing and carried items on dwarves should catch fire upon contact with other burning items or magma. As before, dwarves with flaming clothing will run about flashing red and trailing smoke. For some reason, this was removed in the updates, but should be relatively easy to implement.

Furniture and buildings catch fire
Furniture, floors and walls made of wood or other flammable materials will catch fire when adjacent to other flaming furniture/walls/floors, flaming items and magma. Wooden workshops will burn down, and wooden constructions will be rapidly consumed by a spreading inferno.

Burns
Currently, the only way a dwarf is damaged by heat is when his flesh starts melting. Instead, wounds should also be caused by direct contact with sufficiently hot items and liquids (i.e. magma). Upon contact, burn wounds are immediately dealt to the affected body part, varying in severity depending on the temperature. Due to the cauterizing effects of burning, burns will bleed little, and death by bloodloss will be uncommon except after a prolonged time without treatment. With a severe enough burn wound, the body part can completely burnt off.

Automatic dowsing of fires
To prevent all fortresses from collapsing completely in blazing infernos, the dwarves will be slightly more sensible in their actions regarding fire. Burning areas and tiles with flaming items on them will have an increased traffic cost, or be completely unpathable just like magma-containing tiles. When a dwarf catches fire, he will immediately attempt to take a bath, hence quenching the flames. With the right labor enabled, dwarves may also attempt to put out flaming tiles and dwarves with buckets of water.

Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Improved fire and burning
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »

I agree with the majority of the suggestions, particularly the one about burns. Proper burns need to be implemented, since creatures, I think, are more likely to drown than to actually 'burn up'.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:55:03 pm »

Creatures are more likely to melt than drown. The reason all those things were removed was because they are retarded with fire. Dwarves don't notice fire at all and will walk through it.

When Toady manages to get round to proper fire handling, he will probably bring back burning dwarves.

Walls and floors don't catch fire because they are constructions, they act in the same way that a stone wall does. That means that they won't melt or burn. When you mine stone with a boiling/melting point lower than the current temperature, then it will vaporise instantly, yet it won't melt in unmined form.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:52:54 pm »

Creatures are more likely to melt than drown. The reason all those things were removed was because they are retarded with fire. Dwarves don't notice fire at all and will walk through it.

When Toady manages to get round to proper fire handling, he will probably bring back burning dwarves.

Walls and floors don't catch fire because they are constructions, they act in the same way that a stone wall does. That means that they won't melt or burn. When you mine stone with a boiling/melting point lower than the current temperature, then it will vaporise instantly, yet it won't melt in unmined form.
Stone burns, you just have to work at it.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:32:42 pm »

Heck yeah, improve the fire.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »

back onto the magic issue, i had a similar thought, but instead of pure magic, make it more priest based. in adv, or fortress mode, gods would play a bigger role. You could build an altar, or even a cathedral, an din exchange get their protection. THey could send you aid if attacked, or send down holy texts which teach certain dwarves the secrets of mysticism. It would be similar to the necromancy thing, but it might include spells that act like projectiles. they might even be as complicated as you: craft a fireball, then throw the fireball at an enemy, making it so that you can technically be a mage if you live in a tower and collect magic artifacts and scrolls/tablets/etc. but a battle mage would need actual skill to succeed in combat.

on a side note, dragons breath fire, why can't dwarves? beside that anatomical problems of course. :D
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:15:11 pm »

on a side note, dragons breath fire, why can't dwarves? beside that anatomical problems of course. :D

1. [CREATURE:DWARF]
   [DRAGONFIREBREATH]

2. ???
3. PROFIT!
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.