Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Executing an annoying dwarf.  (Read 1716 times)

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Executing an annoying dwarf.
« on: May 18, 2011, 10:49:44 am »

A dwarf, who is a skilled swordsman, had his hand cut off in battle. He also had several other wounds, but they have been fixed up. Right now he's going between a smaller stockpile and a bucket, trying to pick items up. He only lost his right hand, so I decided he is too dumb to let live. I am going to execute him somehow. The problem is he only goes on the surface and in the main stockpile, so I can't channel him into a hole.
Any ideas?

Forgot to mention he keeps spamming up my announcements with Urist McDumbass cancels pickup equipment: Too injured.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:52:24 am by Sir Leonard III »
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Executing an annoying dwarf.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:07:27 am »

... You're asking questions as to how to kill your dwarf on purpose?

Hi there, you must be very, very new.

While none of our esteemed overseers would ever conceive of such a travesty as to purposefully murder the good and loyal dwarves under our care, it has been the most tragic case that "Unfortunate Accidents" have struck those that are most deleterious to the continued stability of the fortress's functioning, as if Armok himself were smiting those who upset the status quo. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:20:06 am »

Just put down a burrow where you want him to go.

Oooh! I have an idea! Make a little 1x1 hole, put him at the bottom of it, build a wall over the top, and then drop the wall on him :D No-one will ever know he's in there... :o
[Signature]

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:30 pm »

My favorite is to catch a bunch of wild animals and cage them in a room. Link the cages to a lever, then lock the dwarf in the room and pull it. If he survives, he earned his keep.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:47:57 pm »

Station him somewhere (Can you still station dorfs?  No idea how the new military works), dig channels around him so he's trapped, then build a little 7 shaped set of blocks, with the end of the top bar hanging over him.  Deconstruct the block next to it so the end block falls on him.

Goodbye dorf.
Shoes...

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »

no one has mentioned magma yet? for shame, for shame.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:15:12 pm »

I would station him, but he keeps trying to pick up his items with his lost hand. I fixed the problem by simply getting rid of him from my military, but the problem of a useless dwarf remains.
But if all useless dorfs had an unfortunate accident then I would have no babies.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 05:50:57 am »

I would station him, but he keeps trying to pick up his items with his lost hand. I fixed the problem by simply getting rid of him from my military, but the problem of a useless dwarf remains.
But if all useless dorfs had an unfortunate accident then I would have no babies.
Remove shield or weapon from his equipment list, I think that hepls

no one has mentioned magma yet? for shame, for shame.
It's so obvious, so even shouldn't be mentioned. It's like auto-posting 'Apply magma' to each question thread.

I like long retracting bridge over pit with control lever at outer side. Dwarf pulls the lever and then proceeds to his usual tasks moving back over the bridge he just ordered to retract. If he's lucky, he'll survive.

Nice method of approving mandates, by the way. Before mandate is put into order list, noble should prove his right of mandating by passing 'God's bless test'
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:18:50 am »

It's like auto-posting 'Apply magma' to each question thread.

Except people totally actually do that shit.
Shoes...

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 08:31:36 am »

Here's what I did just recently with a "too injured" dwarf:
I made him militia captain in his own squad.  I set him to a "uniform" with no items.  He then kept spamming me about how he was "too injured" to do anything major like picking up equipment, and I realized I forgot the supplies menu.  As soon as I set him not to carry any food or drink, he was fine.  I stationed him under the atomsmasher and he finally made it there, and then pulled the lever.

Result:  Injured McSpammer has been crushed under a drawbridge.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 08:38:11 am »

Tis true, this ain't no bug - you just assigned some item to his lost hand, that's why he keeps spamming with messages.
IMO one hand dwarf still can kick asses if he has really high stats. Just give him a big steel masterwork shield alone and he will bash all goblins' brains out.
PS I wish Toady would give some kind of a simple AI for those dwarves. Like "Dwarven common sense v 1.2"

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 09:10:28 am »

Station him in a hole you dug in the wall, then wall him in and "forget" he's in there.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »

Can't you just sign him off all duties including hauling and let him throw parties all the time?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »

Can't you just sign him off all duties including hauling and let him throw parties all the time?

What, and let him drink booze and eats biscuits without returning anything to the community?

CAPEETALEEST PEEG!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 06:39:27 pm »

Give him a squad all his own without uniform and send him as the first wave against the next goblin siege or megabeast attack. Or just give him a shield, and full candy armor before training him to be a legendary wrestler and using him as your sole defense against the next goblin siege or megabeast attack. Either way, there will be death.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.
Pages: [1] 2