Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.  (Read 15354 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2011, 06:00:24 am »

Every single resource in DF is infinite. What varies is how fast you can gain it.

Adamantine has been mentioned.

Adamantine can be created by splitting arrow stacks and melting them one by one.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »

Those are Administrators. I meant Nobles as in Dukes and Barons. And Kings.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2011, 02:38:23 pm »

To me barrels of blood and ichtor are the most useless. Caravans bring them, so they take up caravan space and clutter trading interface. I can't do anything usefull with them. Refuse, espeacially vermin and sapient corpses are also irritating. They need to be hauled to a big refuse stockpile, and just take up space and hauling time. Rotten food makes irritating miasma. Non-metal golbinite is just a lot of hauling, and trading. These are the most useless to me.

War animals and other pets suck at combat, and do some pathfiniding. While animals (including grazers and cats) have some uses, I'm beginning to think, It's better to just butcher them than to breed and train them.

After I discovered "s" button in trade menu, and can trade "mecha"nisms and "roast"s, I also have no need for crafts, stone or otherwise. As for cloth and mechanisms and siege engine parts, I find it prudent to mass produce what I need, and dump anything non-exeptional on caravans. I'm slowly moving towards buying whatever I need with a few =roast=s, so I'll probably adopt atom-smashing trahs rather than selling it.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2011, 03:27:07 pm »

Refuse, espeacially vermin and sapient corpses are also irritating. They need to be hauled to a big refuse stockpile, and just take up space and hauling time.

Vermin remains don't actually have to be hauled at all.  You can just let them sit where they are until they disappear.  They haven't generated miasma for many, many versions.

Unbutcherable corpses (which includes goblins, trolls, and any tame animals that died outside the slaughterhouse) are a different issue, of course.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2011, 03:55:54 pm »

What about cartillages cluttering up your butchery? Worthless, useless, and cluttering up your space.

Hrm, maybe I should turn it into [SHELL] again as I had done some versions ago.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2011, 04:49:50 pm »

Make a reaction to boil it down to gelatin.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2011, 07:38:38 pm »

Philosophically, this question is a paradox and can't be answered. This thread is already five pages long. The most useless thing is obviously something many people are quite interested in. When we find it, it will be quite useful for the entertainment value it provide us, similar to the same way that dying is fun. And it won't be useless anymore. Thus, what we really need to find is the NEXT to the most useless thing, or perhaps the most completely average thing.

Malkire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2011, 08:40:18 pm »

Slade. Impossible mandates, unmineable, useless.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2011, 10:58:31 am »

I think it's good that some things are useless - not everything is perfectly recyclable or reusable in someway (imagine harvesting eyeballs for lubricant for machinery? :P)

But toys/instruments would be my pick. Young dwarves should be playing with rocks and axes, not toys.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2011, 01:29:22 pm »

Every single resource in DF is infinite. What varies is how fast you can gain it.

Adamantine has been mentioned.

Adamantine can be created by splitting arrow stacks and melting them one by one.

Well, i do consider adamantine just a "metal" for sake of renewable resources discussion: it might suck that your goblinite turns out to be copper ore, but you still have renewable metal and can train every single dorf to be legendary weaponsmith eventually.

Forgotten beasts run out, but they are nothing special - bones, skulls, skin, meat, etc ... you can slaughter anything for that kind of stuff...

Good point about shells. Fish run out and you can not import shells or unprocessed shelled creatures.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2011, 03:13:23 pm »

Depending on if/what mods you're using, things like an artifact wooden ring or a perfect gem can be useful if you put them in a display case for the enjoyment of your dwarfs. The thing I've found to be most worthless are stone and wooden toys/instruments. They're only good for cluttering up a stockpile and are too heavy to be effectively pawned off in mass on traders compared to mugs and other crafts.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2011, 05:59:27 pm »

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2011, 07:09:23 pm »

Wait, shell bearing fish can run out? O.o

Crikey, I need to make a vault for my 250? mussel/turtle shells, they just might be rarer than gold itself! And here I was making useless shell crafts to sell to the humans at low prices, I knew they were ripping me off.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2011, 02:01:42 am »

Wait, shell bearing fish can run out? O.o

Crikey, I need to make a vault for my 250? mussel/turtle shells, they just might be rarer than gold itself! And here I was making useless shell crafts to sell to the humans at low prices, I knew they were ripping me off.
Fish can be totally depopulated, though I don't recall ever reaching that point. Shells, quite honestly, should be held onto if only for strange moods; bones, leather, metal, cloth, every other damn thing, are all easy to come by. Shells, aren't.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2011, 11:08:13 pm »

What is the most useless, counterproductive, piece of crap item that can be made/aquired?

Magma.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8