Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.  (Read 15361 times)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 06:09:05 am »

An artifact wooden ring, menacing with spikes of wood (and nothing else), produced by a Possessed Child.

If you had a living kobold or other thief civ, leaving that sort of artifact outside would be a great way to start getting waves of them without losing anyone you care about. That gets you a nice supply of weapons and armour for you to melt down/chuck in a bin and sell, and a lots and lots of small, easily dispatched enemies for military training. But yeah, until food resources in world gen are fixed, pretty useless.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 06:31:12 am »

A dwarf.
Shoes...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 07:53:43 am »

Is there any use for large gems other than trading?
Mmm, training decoration skills on? Yeah they're pretty useless but even more useless are perfect gems from artifact moods.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 08:18:06 am »

Stone and ore are finite resources, glass and clay are infinite.

Goblinite, Imports, Obsidian farm.

Every single resource in DF is infinite. What varies is how fast you can gain it.

Adamantine is finite, I think.

Those various bits and pieces that are cut off enemies are totally useless and do nothing but generate dump tasks and slow down the whole game. It would be nice if you could make a trophy out of a head of a goblin though.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:31 am »

Goblins.  They don't even bring iron anymore!  All I ever get from them is freaking copper now.  Which I already had in spades.  Copper and lead.  Nothing else.  All the iron I have I get from melting flutes and puzzleboxes.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 12:31:30 pm »

Mmm, training decoration skills on? Yeah they're pretty useless but even more useless are perfect gems from artifact moods.

Large gems make beds worth 1000 uristbucks if you get enough of them.

The most useless thing is butterflies.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2011, 12:40:53 pm »

Cartilage and nervous tissue.

At least hair can be spun into thread for suturing...cartilage just takes up space in the refuse stockpile.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:47 pm »

Large gems make beds worth 1000 uristbucks if you get enough of them.

The most useless thing is butterflies.
Large gems are items - finished products. You're thinking of small gems to decorate beds with, or the rare artifact bed made of pure gem.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2011, 01:08:13 pm »

I think you're talking about some exploit. I have no sand on my map, and need to buy sand from caravans. How do you get sand for free? Rocks are  for free. I have clay and kaolinite (which is the best, but it is rock anyway) but it seems makers choose material randomly. And I need to glaze it - with ash. Which is also random, they can glaze perfectly good pots, already safe for fluids.

You have no sand.  If you had sand, you would understand why it's free.  1 sand tile can supply you forever as sand is gathered in bags and the gathering never depletes the tile, just like clay.

Also if you had fireclay or kaolinite you'ld never had to glaze your pots, stoneware (fireclay) and porcelain (kaolinite) are water-sealed automatically.

I do have them kaolinite, it's my favorite stone in this game, but I collect and buy different clays, and dwarfs like to make earthenware even if they have tons of kaolinite. Lots of micromanagement.

I can't see how glass can compete.

Glass never runs out.  Ever.  Just like clay pots from a magma kiln, you'll run out.  Stone and ore are finite resources, glass and clay are infinite.

Unless you don't have it. I have only as much as I can buy. Anyway, I don't believe game wouldn't crash before I ran out of stone. By the way I tried the method explained in wiki to make sand tiles but unsuccessfully. Fuel is finite. Heck, in my situation even magma is finite, because it doesn't have pressure and doesn't flow upward, to my pomping level. So glass would be limited more than stone even if I had sand.

Also iron, silver and copper are renewable resources, despite not being ores. Goblins carry so much of this junk.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2011, 01:30:18 pm »

Unless you don't have it. I have only as much as I can buy.
Shrug.

You asked why people would prefer to use glass instead of stone.  On the right map (which is every map I've ever embarked to oddly enough) it and clay are the most easily renewable resource.

As for magma, learn how to build a proper pump stack (or build a secondary fort with your magma fueled workshops down there) and you'll have no problems with that either.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2011, 01:50:10 pm »

By the way I tried the method explained in wiki to make sand tiles but unsuccessfully.
If the map didn't have some sand to begin with, you cannot create sand. There's a reason why I like deserts now compared to my 40d days when I always chose forests.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »

the more stone you mine, the more area your dwarves can access, and the more path finding work must be done, meaning your game slows down. Stone has a cost; sand and clay don't have that problem.

What frustrates me more than anything are the units that a map collects over time, dead and otherwise not on the map. Have you ever actually looked at all the persistent units on a map via Runesmith? Even after killing my entire population in an older fort, every animal I could find, and every invader in every cage, dumped every asset I had collected under an atom smasher, I didn't get back above 60 FPS despite having around 250 FPS when I embarked. When I finally abandoned the fort around 800 units were off-loaded. And of course if you tell runesmith to just garbage collect them, the game becomes unstable.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2011, 07:29:41 pm »

Every single resource in DF is infinite. What varies is how fast you can gain it.

Adamantine has been mentioned.  Another finite resource would be shells, since you eventually run out of shell-bearing fishvermin, and traders will never bring them.

Also, any metal that you have on your map, but which your civ and your neighboring civs don't have.  (Is that possible?  I assume it is, if you embark far enough away from your dwarven civ, but I'm not 100% sure.)

Also also, aren't titans finite?  Born during worldgen or something like that?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 02:30:01 am »

Aren't hair and similar tissue still completely useless?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 04:50:29 am »

Hair can be spun into yarn at the farmer's workshop now, it's another source of thread->cloth.  I get it from butchering some creatures along with by the regular shearing job at the same workshop.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8