Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.  (Read 15338 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 05:41:43 pm »

What, hasn't been said before? Nobles. Duh. Completely and utterly worthless.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 06:14:18 pm »

I think you're talking about some exploit. I have no sand on my map, and need to buy sand from caravans. How do you get sand for free? Rocks are  for free. I have clay and kaolinite (which is the best, but it is rock anyway) but it seems makers choose material randomly. And I need to glaze it - with ash. Which is also random, they can glaze perfectly good pots, already safe for fluids.

You have no sand.  If you had sand, you would understand why it's free.  1 sand tile can supply you forever as sand is gathered in bags and the gathering never depletes the tile, just like clay.

Also if you had fireclay or kaolinite you'ld never had to glaze your pots, stoneware (fireclay) and porcelain (kaolinite) are water-sealed automatically.

I can't see how glass can compete.

Glass never runs out.  Ever.  Just like clay pots from a magma kiln, you'll run out.  Stone and ore are finite resources, glass and clay are infinite.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »

Manager, bookkeeper, Taxman?  What is your definition of useless?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:12 pm »

An artifact wooden ring, menacing with spikes of wood (and nothing else), produced by a Possessed Child.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 09:01:56 pm »

I disagree, !!Nobles!! have a certian entertainment value.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 11:19:48 pm »

An artifact wooden ring, menacing with spikes of wood (and nothing else), produced by a Possessed Child.
At least, when he grows up, you'll have a legendary woodworker.  That is, unless he also happened to have been possesses, then yes, it is completely worthless.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:39 am »

At least, when he grows up, you'll have a legendary woodworker.  That is, unless he also happened to have been possesses, then yes, it is completely worthless.

Please for to note bolded text, yes?

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 01:56:50 am »

Is there any use for large gems other than trading?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 03:21:18 am »

I think you're talking about some exploit. I have no sand on my map, and need to buy sand from caravans. How do you get sand for free?
By embarking on a desert. Of course, if I wanted to do an exploit, I'd mod the raws so every soil type is counted as sand. But it's not necessary to guarantee you have sand on an embark. To keep the hauling distance minimal in later years, I muddy some tiles next to the magma glass furnace and get a grazing animal to chew the moss that comes up. Now the sand tiles are directly next to the furnace(s) so I can get rid of my sand bag pile and I have a regenerating quantum pile of sand bags.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 03:23:53 am »

I think you're talking about some exploit. I have no sand on my map, and need to buy sand from caravans. How do you get sand for free?
This is almost as if you'd accuse your butchers for being exploiters, because they can produce so many food items out of a single cow; or your farmers for creating up to 5 plump helmets out of a single seed; or your bone carvers for creating something like 80 bolts out of a single reindeer (16 bones á 5 bolts each).

Sand collection is a normal task in vanilla Dwarf Fortress, and with a magma glass furnace the only cost of it is that some of your dwarves need to spend a little bit of time on the sand collection and glass production; and that you need to have some extra bags for the sand to be collected into. Oh, and you need to keep an eye on the patch of sand where they are collecting from, because they refuse to collect sand from below any moss or stuff that grows there.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 04:07:14 am »

*facepalm* That's what I get for trying to type a logical statement on about 8 hours of sleep for the entire week.  >.<

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 04:18:24 am »

*facepalm* That's what I get for trying to type a logical statement on about 8 hours of sleep for the entire week.  >.<
Yikes.

Remember: Unconsciousness is your friend.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 04:28:13 am »

Yikes.

Remember: Unconsciousness is your friend.
Note to my professors:  WHY DO YOU ALL HAVE TO SCHEDULE TESTS THE EXACT SAME WEEK!?!?!?!?!?!?

(though it doesn't help that I [accidentally] spent a couple nights till about 6 AM playing my most successful fort ever, which was completely destroyed in about 10 minutes by three squads of war elephants on Tuesday)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 04:29:24 am »

Stone and ore are finite resources, glass and clay are infinite.

Goblinite, Imports, Obsidian farm.

Every single resource in DF is infinite. What varies is how fast you can gain it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8