Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.  (Read 15336 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »

What is the most useless, counterproductive, piece of crap item that can be made/aquired?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the ABSOLUTE most worthless item in the game.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:11:47 pm »

An adamantine hammer.  At least a silver axe can be used for woodcutting...
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:16:11 pm »

Addy hammers could at least in theory go to guard captains. Artifact large gems just sit in the workshop/on the floor. Forever.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:17:30 pm »

Mod the game such that you've got at least one undefined material; for instance, make a creature that references body or tissue plans that don't exist. Then, make a craft or something from that tissue. You can get items that are useless, like all crafts, and are also worth negative several million, or even billion, Urists. You don't get much more worthless than something that puts your created wealth at far less than 0!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »

An adamantine hammer.  At least a silver axe can be used for woodcutting...

it is still technically able to hurt stuff and also can be sold to merchants for good profit
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:22:41 pm by MrShovelFace »

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:23:23 pm »

Addy hammers could at least in theory go to guard captains. Artifact large gems just sit in the workshop/on the floor. Forever.
Whenever I get these, I make a dump zone in the corner of my dining room, and dump them there, that way they get put on display to keep my dwarves happy.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:30:25 pm »

I don't know, at least you'll probably get a legendary jeweler out of it.

The worst is probably a legendary stone craft, mostly because of how easy it is to get legendary stonecrafters through making stone mugs on repeat.  The sheer quantity of mugs produced also means they'll outstrip the others in an early fortress regardless of the benefit of the mood.  Plus, you tend to get them early which can result in unfortunate trouble should it attract goblins before you're ready.

The other (non-metal) crafting skills resulting from a mood are much more useful due to the limited materials involved (e.g. there's an effective cap on how much wood, leather or bone you can obtain at any time) whereas stone is effectively infinite in supply in the context of almost any fortress.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:39:55 pm »

Elves.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:57:24 pm »

I just thought of it
(i think)

A dead dwarf's body parts aside from his bones have absolutely no utility and both cause fortress hauntings and miasma
they also cannot at all be sold (hopefully) and sometimes cause your idiot dwarfs to wander outside right into a goblin siege

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:01:36 pm »

Toys, so useless, but the humans seem to be very fond of them so they do give a bit of income.
But still useless in the eyes of a Dwarf.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:03:37 pm »

Touche about the display dump. Alright, XXGoblin SocksXX claimed by children. Can't dump, can't trade, can't atom smash because you can't move them. They don't contribute anything to wealth because they don't belong to your group.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:06:21 pm »

Touche about the display dump. Alright, XXGoblin SocksXX claimed by children. Can't dump, can't trade, can't atom smash because you can't move them. They don't contribute anything to wealth because they don't belong to your group.

Here I go and say that "magma is overused", "too many uses magma/lava these days"..
But i now see an actual use for the glowing stuff..

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 12:45:05 am »

That Adamantine ring you know your jeweler is making once  you turn your back...

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 03:55:46 am »

You can get items that are useless, like all crafts, and are also worth negative several million, or even billion, Urists. You don't get much more worthless than something that puts your created wealth at far less than 0!

Huh. Starting a subprime mortgage workshop does seem pretty dwarfy, come to think of it.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 03:59:29 am »

More seriously, the most counterproductive thing you can craft? I'd say maybe having your mason grab two or three chunks of native platinum for your first artifact, a statue. Suddenly your fortress value shoots way up and you've got early goblin ambushes or nasty titans coming before you have working defenses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8