Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?  (Read 35023 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2011, 01:09:11 pm »

If they make the Witcher 3 (which they probably will), I really hope they give players more power over dialogues :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2011, 03:36:52 pm »

About the Draug and the Draugirs:

It's like Toady Two says. Draugs and Draugirs are demons animated on the battlefield whereas all the other fighters are wraiths. Wraiths are basically the restless spirits that are there whereas the Draug and Draugirs are like say... a summoned rage elemental.

In this case, they chose to show those elementals as lots of battlefield debris stuck together. The Draug, being the big bad, is of course bigger.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »

Huh. So I recently installed the witcher 2, and upon playing it the menu says things like MENUNEW and MENULOAD, and it appeared to be an aesthetic problem. However, getting to the intro, there's no dialogue. I patched the game to 1.2 already so I'm not sure what the hell I'm supposed to do.
Edit: Nevermind, patching it a second time fixed it.
Then I decided not to play the game because apparently geralt lost any sense of humor and we've got misleading text choices. How "Very Funny" translates directly to "Fuck you!" is beyond me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:35:46 pm by Rakonas »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2011, 11:06:34 pm »

Then I decided not to play the game because apparently geralt lost any sense of humor and we've got misleading text choices. How "Very Funny" translates directly to "Fuck you!" is beyond me.

I was worried about the dialogues at first, but turns out that one you stated is one of the two that didn't match my expectation. And to consider Geralt got tortured for days, then Roche tried to shake his tied-up hand. A "very funny" in a sarcastic tone would fit "Fuck you" very much.

The other one I met in prologue, but in retrospect it's fine.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2011, 11:40:23 pm »

The beginning of the game was really engaging, very fun. But now I'm in the first town and I've lost interest for some reason. I hear that it does get really great after chapter one, is that right?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2011, 02:28:34 am »

Yeah, the "welcome to a backwater hick town, go be their janitor for a few hours until the plot advances" section hasn't really been improved much since the first game. Gets better after the mid-chapter boss.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2011, 08:22:35 pm »

So um, 3 days and 1 month since release and they've already dropped the price to $20. I guess even their sales department agrees the game is bollocks.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2011, 12:09:29 am »

So um, 3 days and 1 month since release and they've already dropped the price to $20. I guess even their sales department agrees the game is bollocks.

Got source on that? Still $75 on steam, unless you meant the first one.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2011, 07:51:23 am »

And Witcher 2 is definitely not a bad game... it has action elements, sure, it's like that since Witcher 1. But the story and characters blow other recent RPGs (I've played Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age Origins) away.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:35 pm »

Was very disappointed in TW2...

Felt like a step backwards in almost every way.  And TW1 was one of my all-time favorite games.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »

Got source on that? Still $75 on steam, unless you meant the first one.
You must be living in Australia. It was never $75 worldwide, and is now $19 on steam.

Edit: hah, nevermind, that's for my region. It costs $49 worldwide. False alert.

And Witcher 2 is definitely not a bad game... it has action elements, sure, it's like that since Witcher 1. But the story and characters blow other recent RPGs (I've played Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age Origins) away.
It's a touch better than DAO and ME, I'll give you that, but that doesn't make it a good RPG.

Was very disappointed in TW2...

Felt like a step backwards in almost every way.  And TW1 was one of my all-time favorite games.
My feelings exactly.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:21:53 pm by kotekzot »
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2011, 02:50:24 am »

I really wish the thread title would be changed to something neutral, since this has pretty much become the offical discussion thread about it.

Anyway, I finished The Witcher yesterday and now I'm finally playing the sequel. I'm at the jailbreak part right now and boy am I impressed.

The combat has finally moved away from 'stand in the middle of a group of enemies, mouseclick rythmically and watch everything die' to a more engaging, challenging and fun combat system.
The controls aren't as bad as everyone says. After the ballista scene, I had gotten used to it. The target-lock function really helps. Not to mention that the first part wasn't really flawless in this regard either.
Since I've played the first part, I didn't have much trouble to figure out what Geralt would say in dialogues.
And the presentation (story, environments, combat, characters etc.) is simply great, thus far.
The first game that actually uses the capabilities of my gaming rig.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2011, 03:07:49 am »

You must have been lucky so far.

My main annoyance with the controls was that they bugged out constantly, like no attacks worked. More common than that was holding block and Geralt not blocking at all.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2011, 03:15:01 am »

Sure it wasn't due to lack of endurance? Or because you were stuck in the long strong-attack animation, or something similar?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2011, 03:31:24 am »

Yup.

And being stuck in an animation for a game that makes sure you require reaction is really counterproductive. Which is why the blocking was horrible in this game.

The worst it got with the controls was in a scene by the ship where it simply broke everything. Not even walking worked and could only view around while I was being attacked and killed. It would be impossible to play a hardcore character.

So yeah, I think you're being lucky or maybe there was some patch.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13