Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?  (Read 35039 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2011, 06:54:56 am »

I had to concentrate to get what he's saying, and I felt too tired to continue when he started talking about the combat being too difficult, being thrown right into a big group of enemies and all that.

I finished W2 once... I agree there are some big difficulty spikes in the boss fights, particularly the first Letho fight. I must have reloaded 30 times. In retrospect I should have taken footwork or improve Quen... in that small room I was unable to dodge his Igni with 100% success, and one Igni hit is enough to end me. But the new combat and talent systems are great, much better than W1.

W2 is definitely one of the top games in 2011 for me.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:19 am »

The escapist is sponsored by bioware. All 3 of their witcher 2 reviews contain the same few factual errors and are all negative while they gave da2 a 10 and jump on every opportunity to tell people how ToR will be an utterly generic mmo that is somehow better by virtue of one of their confirmed and self-admitted shills talking about it like it's the best thing ever.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2011, 10:15:31 am »

The escapist is sponsored by bioware. All 3 of their witcher 2 reviews contain the same few factual errors and are all negative while they gave da2 a 10 and jump on every opportunity to tell people how ToR will be an utterly generic mmo that is somehow better by virtue of one of their confirmed and self-admitted shills talking about it like it's the best thing ever.
Yet this guy bashes every game he has on his table. No matter what it is.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2011, 10:25:04 am »

Oh, come on. Yahtzee hates (almost) everything - that's kind of his shtick. To demonstrate, here's his DAII review, which is anything but positive. And I'd be willing to bet money that, on the off-chance Yahtzee actually bothers reviewing another MMO, he'll slam ToR just like every other game.

I can honestly count on the fingers of one hand the number of games Yahtzee actually liked, and by 'liked' I mean 'could only find small portions of the game he could criticize'. Don't chalk this up to The Escapist's own personal bias or something - in order for Yahtzee to be unequivocally happy with TW2, it would have had to have been on par with Portal 1.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:40:09 pm by Thexor »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2011, 12:11:36 pm »

He also loved Painkiller and somewhat enjoyed Amnesia as well as the first SMG.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2011, 02:01:41 pm »

Edit:

Fuck it, I just don't care about your bullshit anymore.

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3443-The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings
Actually, Yahtzee and I share a lot of similar opinion on games. We're both sarcastic cynical assholes who criticize any stupidity in any game.

@Thexor - The dragon age series is pure crap, do I don't blame him. I didn't even want to play the second. Just... can't stand that bullshit anymore. Care for some game in your multiple-choice dialog? Care for pressing anything other than 1 or 2? Why no need, thank you sir - Said the modern retarded gamer.

Actually the game he was literally paid and forced to review was one of the major games that purchases ad spots in that site. EVE Online. He of course, completely destroyed the game as usual.

Blargh.

*goes hug Yahtzee, despite his stupid boner for valve*

The only exception was that he sucked at the witcher 2 combat, while I did not. Not bragging, just use the shield spell and smash attack to win.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:37:26 pm by Soulwynd »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2011, 02:46:38 pm »

Oh, I wasn't criticizing Yahtzee - I've seen every one of his videos, most twice or more. There's a reason I've linked to him twice in the last three days.  ;)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2011, 03:21:45 pm »

Yeah, I often link him. We end up sharing the same opinion on a lot of things.

There's one video of him where he said he doesn't review games he likes, since his reviews are to comically show what's wrong about a given game (or something similar to that, don't remember what he said exactly). Main reason why we never see him saying good things about games.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2011, 07:57:31 am »

Why are so many people having problems with Draug? Personally I found him the easiest part of the whole section because he's the only fight where I could dodge and use quen.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2011, 08:21:35 am »

There are a few bosses that you'll get kicked hard if you stay too far away.

Kayran - the tangling grass patches are at the back of the area. If you get stuck a few tentacle hits will kill you.

Chapter 1 boss - He keeps using his offensive spells if you stay back. One can be hard to dodge and very damaging (2 hits for your full HP bar), the other one makes you unable to counterattack.

Draug is another one. The first time I tried to stay back - and he kept calling for support. Flaming arrow storms and flaming huge boulder which can be hard to dodge while you need to keep looking at Draug to see if he's charging.

Taking Footwork (roll away further), put Quen up and stay closer will make those boss fights easier.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2011, 01:19:15 pm »

I've found the combat system (which is a major part of the game) to be lacking. It's too simple, and too often your character makes huge leaps or turns around and stabs an enemy when you don't want to do it. It fees like you just click the button, and the fight goes on without your involvement.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »

I've found the combat system (which is a major part of the game) to be lacking. It's too simple, and too often your character makes huge leaps or turns around and stabs an enemy when you don't want to do it. It fees like you just click the button, and the fight goes on without your involvement.

At first I felt like that as well... then slowly I found out (i.e. when I reloaded 30+ times trying to beat chapter 1 final boss) what moves Geralt does depends on the distance between you and your target and the movement buttons you're pressing. If you're far away Geralt will do the leaps and big swings to reach the target. If you hold forward he's gonna do that too.

As for switching target, the not-so-smart auto-targeting system will almost always choose the nearest enemy, so remember to use Alt to lock target.

I started a new game soon after I finished W2 for the first time, and in the prologue I found a world of difference. The first time I had to reload several times; the second time I never reloaded and was never below 80% health even in the last big fight in the monastery.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2011, 04:22:01 am »

Yep, I am used to it. This "three button" combat can be quite easy to use once you adapt to it, it no longer bothers me.

Now, after finishing the Chapter one, I can say that the game is NOT a rubbish at all.
It has flaws, it has bad design choices, it has not really balanced leveling system (with melee dominating since your swords are always at your hands, and they are your defence, offence and AOE).

However the story is quite nice, not stupid like in many RPGs, although there is that stuff where you pick a single dialogue choice, and your character says TON of stuff which you didn't want to say.

But my favourite part is that most of the quests have multiple endings. And nothing tells you which ones are "right" (well, except for many cases where people die due to your stupidity). And there's no gamey "karma" or stuff like that.
It feels like the last mission of Mass Effect 2
Except in this case, it's A LOT of quests like this. Even minor totally unnecessary ones. I actually reloaded the game many times because I felt like an idiot for getting a bad ending for a quest where it was obvious, but I was all like "what if..." Of course in very dramatic situations I did not reload a few times, because I really felt the situation and wanted to keep the feeling.

All in all, I am no longer ambivalent about this game. I like it. It feels more like an interactive book with action than Baldur's Gate RPG style where you fully influenced your party actions and dialogues, but it has its charm and cool story.

And I just love the drawn cutscenes :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2011, 12:46:41 pm »

I liked the paintings from the first game more. I also don't understand the Eternal Battle symbolism,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2011, 01:05:45 pm »

This is how i understand it from the books in the game lore. Draugir are demons made of hatred. They are animated from parts of the battlefield. The skeletal Wraiths however are ghosts of the soldiers killed in battle. Apparently the huge Draug you fight mimics the personality of one of the Keadwen commanders so it is part draugir - part wraith.

I just finished the game. I must say chapter 3 was disappointingly short. The twist ending was... interesting. I can't say whether I liked it or not. The final(or penultimate) boss fight was frustratingly hard.

I was hoping for a confrontation with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but unfortunately they left that for the impending sequel.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13