Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?  (Read 35032 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2011, 01:01:08 am »

The patch that removes the DRM worked wonders for me. Before it I would experience choppyness even on the lowest detail settings and lowered resolution. Without the DRM the game runs smoothly on Ultra detail with 1920x1080 screen resolution. It's crazy. I don't know what the fuck the securom assholes were thinking when they made their product. It's as if they really hated the people that buy games legally instead of pirating them. Good thing CDProjekt decided to remove it. Too bad it wasn't gone for the start, maybe more people would have liked the game then.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2011, 01:41:01 am »

I believe it's mandatory for them to include DRM in their games on release. I can't remember where I read it, but I recall something about showing to investors that they take steps to combat piracy.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2011, 02:16:56 am »

Also, any ETA on that fix for ATI cards so I'm no longer blinded completely when I move out of Flotsam?
I heard something about selecting some other game's profile (Dirt 2, I think), but I dunno about that. I don't know where profile selection is in ATI drivers. Alternatively try meddling with your Catalyst application settings. At the very worst, you could just turn off bloom in the game settings.

I believe it's mandatory for them to include DRM in their games on release. I can't remember where I read it, but I recall something about showing to investors that they take steps to combat piracy.
Well, yeah. They even had to put Starforce in the Russian release (1C really loves Starforce in their games for some reason). And that fucked with the 1.1 patch to the point where that was semi-delayed for the Russian release.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2011, 02:50:41 am »

It's as if they really hated the people that buy games legally instead of pirating them.
Thats the sucky catch-22 when it comes to DRM. If you pirate it, it's likely that someone cracked it and removed the DRM completely... If you buy it, you get crappy performance and what is essentially a rootkit, penalizing you for playing the game legally. Maybe publishers will learn someday...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2011, 04:51:18 am »

Publisher won't change as long until they lose their ability to sue everyone who looks at them funny and have a 99% chance of winning.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2011, 10:47:57 am »

No one will ever win this war.  Everyone loses money, the publishers become more risk averse, the market becomes more console-focused and more Call of Halo Assault Recon 2: Modern Gears of Bad Company Vegas-focused.  Pirates continue to pretend they bring in sales by letting people try the demo (I won't deny that some people buy games after torrenting them, but not a number approaching significant)

What would really work is a boycott of DRM.  A real boycott.  Not one where everyone pirates the games and plays them anyway, not one where everyone buys the game on release date, a boycott where no one touches a game with obtrusive DRM at all.

That'll never happen though.  This will happen.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2011, 11:05:35 am »

Meanwhile Cthulhu keeps on pretending he knows what he's talking about.

:P

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2011, 01:19:43 pm »

Yeah, I am not seeing this "army destroying badass" from Soulwynd's rants either... he's definitely a cut above the regular soldier, but still has trouble taking on even three or four regular grunt soldiers at a time (at least, on any difficulty a gamer should not be ashamed of playing on).  You must not be very fond of mythologies, legends, or really any kind of heroic  narrative frames at all, Soul.  They are chock full of heroes taking on awesome tasks, seizing impossible victories, slaying hundreds  by themselves... and then falling victim to a mere human's lucky arrow.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2011, 02:47:46 pm »

I played on hard. Only died once that wasn't due to a bug, thanks to the giant river monster thing. The highest difficulty of the game are the controls, otherwise, it was a walk on the park. From what I see people went for the alchemy build and others. I went for the level 3 armor + increased damage back to multiple enemies. I can just stand there and everything dies around me. Even without it, everyone died around me. I could piss and fuck everyone off, because they would simply die. I suppose that if you play as a wimpy potion drinker who can't even get a boner with a sickeningly ugly ho, then that's what your character will be.

Which is a good point for the game.

Those just show the difference between imaginary boasting and reality. The points that are reality in the game are the points where you play the game. ie. when you're actually killing and doing things all by yourself. The cutscenes are the imaginary bits you have no control over yourself. Like you're a puppet. It's akin to someone telling you what you did in a situation when in truth, it's not what you did. Or in this case, not what you would do, since the game gives you no control over it. Not only that, but in the witcher it's not as simple as saying "Someone shot you in the back." That I would totally understand; It's not something the witcher can realistically prevent if well executed. What happens is that they tell you did something that put you in that situation. That's just not a good way of doing it. Take portal 2 for example, the cutscenes (which you played through, not even knowing they were there) only showed you what happened around you and gave you full control over them. It was a much better way of telling a story through a game. Specially in the ending, the developers wanted you shoot your portal at that location and gave you full control of doing it yourself. It's much more believable when you're doing it by yourself and they set a whole stage where it really is your only option.

Plus like I said. There's a huge difference between reading a book or listening to a story and actually playing through one. In a book, greek tragedy, boasting, sudden mortality, that's all acceptable. You're talking about another person, not yourself. You're talking about what someone else did, not yourself. In a game, you're directing a character, you're playing a role, what he is doing is what you're doing (or making him do if you want to be more literal). Any point where the control of your character is taken away is a point where you can't say; "I did this."

That ruins any game for me.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2011, 03:49:01 pm »

What you mean to say is "I don't like any games, nor the narrative frameworks they employ."

You're honestly using a linear FPS game to extoll the virtues of freedom within a game environment?
lul
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:50:49 pm by thepodger »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2011, 04:03:11 pm »

No, what I meant to say was exactly what I said.

Don't use your trolling fallacy shit here. You're giving a perfect example of the witcher 2 cutscenes with "What you mean to say".

You're honestly using a linear FPS game to extoll the virtues of freedom within a game environment?
lul
Yes, that's how bad the witcher 2 cutscenes are; When a linear game beats a rpg in story-telling.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2011, 04:25:38 pm »

By saying that cutscenes with noninteractive story-driving elements completely ruin a game, you are saying "I don't like any games, nor the narrative frameworks they employ."

The Witcher as a series has some of the best storytelling I've ever seen in a game, giving your decisions long term, complex, and visible impacts on the gameworld.  Portal 2 gives you zero decision making capabilities.

Yet again you fail to respond to the meat of my and others' arguments here--that Geralt is not depicted as a superman capable of destroying armies, nor is he meant to feel that way.  This is a simple case of one person "not getting" a character, or thrusting his idea of what the character -should- be over to pof what is actually depicted and intended by the developers (not to mention what everyone besides you in this thread has perceived).

There's a reason that games that are heavily invested in storytelling rely on occasionally wrenching control from the character's hands--certain plot points simply must occur for the story to remain coherent.  A prime example would be the cutscene where the king is slain.  Personally I found this quite baffling... as a bodyguard I would never have left the king's side, for one.  But think of what would happen if the sequence was playable.  BAM, you kill the assassin before the king is slain.  Game over?  Or should the scene have been playable, but unwinnable?  I find those kind of things even more infuriating than accepting the fact that sometimes my character will make huge fuckups and receive serious wounds from unlikely opponents.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:03:55 pm by thepodger »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2011, 06:07:14 am »

Is there a "0.5x talking speed button" for that review?

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2011, 06:30:39 am »

Is there a "0.5x talking speed button" for that review?
You wouldn't want to press it. Majority of it is him just being pissed because it's funny. Rarely, if ever, are they legitimate reviews. Funny, and I do love Yahtzee especially because he's a fellow down under dweller, but don't take him seriously.
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13