Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?  (Read 35077 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 01:38:34 pm »

No, I said the first game is misogynistic. Women were achievement cards. Yes, there were no moral consequences to it, you could fuck them all (well, not all, some of them excluded the others). Fucking them in game or not doesn't change the fact they were achievement cards.

Btw, there are plenty of consequences irl for being a shitass fucker.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No, a lot of time passes since then. People know he's the king slayer (even tho he is not) and like I said, they congratulate him for it. Of course, if you join the human side of the story, you're in the middle of people who aren't happy about kings being slain and then you have Roche, who's a backstabbing jackass, to vouch for you.

But you don't realize he's Geralt. He beats every fucking last one of them. Everything that stands in his way dies or is pushed aside, unless of course, you're on an on rails cutscene. Plus he can easily join the non-human side and be praised for it, since you are... spoilers...
So he would have plenty of protection and a lovely home.

No, it's not an interface element. He says it, with his voice, that his medallion is going off and there's danger around. Or that there is magic around because of his medallion. And in one of the cutscenes he does mention there was no danger because his medallion would have detected it. You probably picked different dialogs and ended up with different cutscenes.

He mentions both during gameplay and dialog, several times, that his medallion is picking danger or magic. And during gameplay it also picks important items out without you having to activate it. Probably because the items are magic, but it does so.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2011, 03:00:07 pm »

Disclaimer: I'm not even at the end of the first act(flotsam) so my report here is not the most informed.

I've been playing it on Hard and I'm quite challenged so far.

My cons so far:
  • Targeting as was mentioned is quirky. Often you will target the guy behind everybody else, and due to the combat mechanic Geralt will roll right up to him in the middle of the pack. On hard this mean instant death.
  • Lack of control over Geralt. When you press attack, it's a gamble. Will I do a lightning quick attack that permit me to quickly retreat or a fancy spinning move that let me vulnerable for 2 seconds? On harder difficulty this is the cause of most deaths with the precedent point. This also force you in an hit and run style, because you never know what your next move will be so might as well back off.
  • Unclear game mechanics. I had to look so many things up to understand how it works its not even funny. Most of the issue people has derive from this. For example the "not blocking" bug is due to the vigor bar being depleted(yes the same bar you use for signs). No vigor no blocking. Some things have no actual explanations in game, like the sun rune, wtf does it do?
  • The mini games are super dull. They managed to make the dice poker thing even more boring than the original. I mean common, one round wins all, and all you have to do to become a champion is challenge a guy by betting 1 Oren until you win. Boxing is super easy even on hard, unless it gets much harder/fun later but I'm not holding my breath.
  • I can rob people's home without consequences. This one is not exclusive to this game, but something Morrowind like would make more sense.

Pro:
Everything else. Its a really gorgeous game, and you get "in character" kinda like in Batman:Arkam Asylum.
Some dislike the potion system, but I feel they are missing out. Don't play it arcade like, don't hoard those potions and only use them after you die and reload , they are plentiful so use them. Before entering a cave, think about what kind of creature you expect and prepare in consequence. Sure you're going to look silly when you prepare for Nekkers, carefully plan out your attack, and spring on a group of Scoia'tel, silver sword in hand, but that's fun too.
The tools are also a huge improvement over the original. The bombs and daggers are very fun to use, you get to target them in a slow motion sequence. The trap are kinda meh at this point, but maybe they get better.
Leveling system looks interesting, but I barely touched it yet.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 03:25:53 pm »

To use runes you have to have a high quality sword with upgrade slots. You then drag the upgrade over the inventory slot to make the sword deal additional effects and do more damage. Same thing goes for armor upgrades.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2011, 03:48:04 pm »

To use runes you have to have a high quality sword with upgrade slots. You then drag the upgrade over the inventory slot to make the sword deal additional effects and do more damage. Same thing goes for armor upgrades.
I know that, but the sun rune have no description of what it does.
Also, Bomb that does Incineration 30%... 30% of what? I assume its the chance of proc, but then what damage does it do? If it fails does it even do any damage? Really hard to say, even with trial and error.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2011, 03:52:59 pm »

Sun rune is just +% damage IIRC. Earth Rune is probably best as it gives health.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2011, 03:56:27 pm »

No, a lot of time passes since then. People know he's the king slayer (even tho he is not) and like I said, they congratulate him for it. Of course, if you join the human side of the story, you're in the middle of people who aren't happy about kings being slain and then you have Roche, who's a backstabbing jackass, to vouch for you.

But you don't realize he's Geralt. He beats every fucking last one of them. Everything that stands in his way dies or is pushed aside, unless of course, you're on an on rails cutscene. Plus he can easily join the non-human side and be praised for it, since you are... spoilers...
So he would have plenty of protection and a lovely home.

Also, you really need to differentiate between story logic and gameplay logic in games. In gameplay, you have people surviving shots to the head, getting hacked at multiple times with heavy blades and even surviving gigantic explosions. In story, people can die from a single shot, stab or blunt hit. I ain't about to go "durr, why are people nearly immortal???" with regards to setting based on gameplay. Similarly it goes for character power. You cannot force the player to fail in an Action RPG by any means other than a cutscene, because player skill is so decisive that given the chance a player can win against anything that isn't completely immortal.

Despite what the gameplay would have you believe, Geralt is not an omnipotent badass. He got killed by a pitchfork wielding peasant before.

No, it's not an interface element. He says it, with his voice, that his medallion is going off and there's danger around. Or that there is magic around because of his medallion. And in one of the cutscenes he does mention there was no danger because his medallion would have detected it. You probably picked different dialogs and ended up with different cutscenes.

He mentions both during gameplay and dialog, several times, that his medallion is picking danger or magic. And during gameplay it also picks important items out without you having to activate it. Probably because the items are magic, but it does so.
Out of curiosity, where does he say this with regard to a person? It can detect "danger" as in monsters and other magical beings, but I don't recall anything about dangerous people.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2011, 07:38:37 pm »

Also, you really need to differentiate between story logic and gameplay logic in games.
Uh no. Not once, not ever.

If I can destroy armies during the gameplay, like fuck I will accept someone with a pitchfork during a cutscene. What happens during gameplay is part of the story in the player's perspective, you can't just say he's not a badass who destroys everyone when he is a badass who destroys everyone. The only moment he is not, is when you have no control over your character actions and that is what is extremely stupid.

Game developers need to learn to be more consistent. A player -should- be given the opportunity win against anything as long as it fits the character and failure to do so doesn't necessarily means any sort of game over. Uncontrollable cutscenes with decisive moments are the apex of story-telling failure in games. You have this huge platform where you can let the player interact with the story and then, when it's most important, the player has no input. Furthermore, you can use the player's failure in gameplay during any given point of the game as part of the story. Take ARMA (Either ARMA or the OpF, don't remember which one is like this) for example, when you fail a mission, you face the consequences and are put into missions that are consistent with your failure. This sort of perspective is also present in 7.62 where not only taking nearly -any- shot pretty much means you're fucked up, but failing is an option and you can go on with it.

Really, you're just giving a lame excuse because you have come to accept the bullshit that's put in front of you. I will never accept it and will always criticize it whenever it's there.

Out of curiosity, where does he say this with regard to a person? It can detect "danger" as in monsters and other magical beings, but I don't recall anything about dangerous people.
It was either in the prelude or in the first chapter. But if memory serves me right, I think he was talking about a sorceress. So that might explain it to the book-savvy people. Still is a huge writer's crutch in my point of view.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2011, 07:51:47 pm »

Been playing this, at first I kept dying near instantly (I started talking about the dragon). I tried again, from the first part, and now I am learning it, and enjoying it a lot. Takes getting used to from what I normally play though.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 07:15:02 am »

I think you missed the part where money was involved, then. Geralt was constantly bitching about how little he gets payed and there's mentions of witchers never living to old age since they just get rusty and die fighting monsters or something. Apparently he expected to earn enough to retire forever. Good luck getting that from a bunch of elves.

Also, you really need to differentiate between story logic and gameplay logic in games.
Uh no. Not once, not ever.

If I can destroy armies during the gameplay, like fuck I will accept someone with a pitchfork during a cutscene. What happens during gameplay is part of the story in the player's perspective, you can't just say he's not a badass who destroys everyone when he is a badass who destroys everyone. The only moment he is not, is when you have no control over your character actions and that is what is extremely stupid.

Game developers need to learn to be more consistent. A player -should- be given the opportunity win against anything as long as it fits the character and failure to do so doesn't necessarily means any sort of game over. Uncontrollable cutscenes with decisive moments are the apex of story-telling failure in games. You have this huge platform where you can let the player interact with the story and then, when it's most important, the player has no input. Furthermore, you can use the player's failure in gameplay during any given point of the game as part of the story. Take ARMA (Either ARMA or the OpF, don't remember which one is like this) for example, when you fail a mission, you face the consequences and are put into missions that are consistent with your failure. This sort of perspective is also present in 7.62 where not only taking nearly -any- shot pretty much means you're fucked up, but failing is an option and you can go on with it.

Really, you're just giving a lame excuse because you have come to accept the bullshit that's put in front of you. I will never accept it and will always criticize it whenever it's there.
Uh-huh. Right. You keep thinking that. There is always inconsistency between cutscenes and gameplay unless there are no cutscenes or nothing happens in them. People in cutscenes who die in one hit usually require multiple smacks to the head in gameplay. There's gamey logic and then there's "realistic" logic (realistic in the sense of the game world), usually reserved for cutscenes.

And in both Ofp and ArmA the storytelling and dialogue is so few and far between that it costs considerably less to make alternative paths. If TW2 allowed multiple "paths" based on success/failure, you'd be bitching about how the paths don't differ enough since they'd either have to re-use side-quest characters and voice-overs and make it incosistent or leave the alternative paths completely barren and uninteresting.

Also, you mentioned Prototype. The game where the main character just goes "I can rebuild myself and swim out of water in cutscenes, but in gameplay I'm very mortal and drown".

I'm also curious how you'd like a game where Geralt is as good as he was in the books. Like getting two bowmen together would be enough to take him down. And he'd usually just fight single monsters (which are rare at that) at a time. Not to mention he could be killed by a human in one hit.

It was either in the prelude or in the first chapter. But if memory serves me right, I think he was talking about a sorceress. So that might explain it to the book-savvy people. Still is a huge writer's crutch in my point of view.
Might've meant he could detect spells being active or the sorceress charging up to cast something. But I dunno, don't remember that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 08:46:26 am »

This thread has given me an excuse to post this. It's not directed at anyone, but this thread makes it a decent place to post it.

Clicky
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 09:05:29 am »

I don't particularly like the game, although most of my complaints would be due to personal taste more than anything and thus not too important.

One thing I do find pretty bewildering however is the pace of combat, combined with quick time events. The two seem... a bit apart from one another.

Hit that monster with your sword. Good. Hit it again. Keep hitting it. He's dead, here's another one. Hit that one about eight ti-PRESS X TO NOT DIE!!!!-Where were we? Oh, yes. That monster still needs to be hit about five more times before it'll die.

Particularly when fighting the first boss, with his insta-kill attack/QTE.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:45:06 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 12:00:38 pm »

I think you missed the part where money was involved, then. Geralt was constantly bitching about how little he gets payed and there's mentions of witchers never living to old age since they just get rusty and die fighting monsters or something. Apparently he expected to earn enough to retire forever. Good luck getting that from a bunch of elves.
And with a dead king you expect to be paid retirement anyway? Har har, I don't see your point.

I also bet you become a escape goat if you take the human route of the story.

Forgive my assholeness here, but my reaction was, and I quote "LOLWUT?!"

I beat him without losing a single HP. He was an easy fight and it wasn't even fair to him.

Uh-huh. Right. You keep thinking that. There is always inconsistency between cutscenes and gameplay unless there are no cutscenes or nothing happens in them.
With the way they are right now, I wish there were no cutscenes in games. Ever. But yes, I will keep thinking that and you keep thinking what you think. I apologize for the rudeness beforehand and you can report the post to Toady if you want, but it's a plain silly excuse to separate in game and cutscene logic/realism. It's dumb. It just doesn't work. It's inconsistent. It's pointless. If a game developer is going that route with his citscenes, please remove them. Entirely.

Right now, the mainstream gamers and developers keep prancing around about immersion, realism, good story, and dialog. But when it comes down to it, everything you were capable of doing in the gameplay doesn't fit what happens in the cutscenes. That's not immersion, that's not realism. Hell, that just fucks up any story you're trying to portray. Sure, the dialog may be fun, but most often than not they don't even fit the character. A lot of times you have heroes who are simply genocidal/homicidal fuckwads who have the nerve to say to someone that killing is wrong and trying to destroy the world is wrong. Shyeah right, like someone can say that with a straight face are killing well over 1000 intelligent creatures and humans.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong and I understand you think my opinion is wrong. If you want to discuss more and disagree with my opinion, you can necro my old thread over here, in fact; I want to necro it some time soon, due to certain new games that brought to light even more things I ended up hating about modern games.
If TW2 allowed multiple "paths" based on success/failure, you'd be bitching about how the paths don't differ enough since they'd either have to re-use side-quest characters and voice-overs and make it incosistent or leave the alternative paths completely barren and uninteresting.
Don't assume things. I would enjoy that a lot more. Don't you know I love Daggerfall and fucking hate Oblivion? Well, now you do, so don't assume crap. Not that it matters, the only point where I died so far (that wasn't because of the controls simply locking up to the point moving your mouse didn't move the camera) was the huge tentacle monster sort of thing, while playing on hard. I would be so pissed to play that game on impossible, simply because the only times I die is because of a bug and that would mean a lost character. Wouldn't mind having lost a character to that stupid monster tho, it was a fair fight for a change.

Rest assured, however, that if there's something meaningful to 'bitch' about any given game, I will 'bitch' about it. This all started with me reviewing the game which the OP unfairly actually bitched about. I merely pointed out the facts about the game. But people had to go:

Soulwynd Y U NO accept the uncontrollable cutscenes.

(yಠ,ಠ)y

Then I had to strike the challenge accepted a gallant hero pose:

"Because accepting things that could have been done better is for fools who don't give a shit. Furthermore they're meaningless and completely ignorable when the gameplay itself proves them to be so. If I have to pick the actual story to be either what you do during gameplay or what happens during cutscenes, I will pick the gameplay nearly every single time. Cutscenes are supposed to be the icing on the cake, not the cockroach that fell in the dough and you just found in your mouth."

Also, you mentioned Prototype. The game where the main character just goes "I can rebuild myself and swim out of water in cutscenes, but in gameplay I'm very mortal and drown".
Oh really? I wasn't aware of that, I never fell in water in that game. I guess we can scratch Prototype out of the consistency list then.

I'm also curious how you'd like a game where Geralt is as good as he was in the books. Like getting two bowmen together would be enough to take him down. And he'd usually just fight single monsters (which are rare at that) at a time. Not to mention he could be killed by a human in one hit.

To be honest? I would love that game.

Remember were we are? This is sparta the DF forum. Losing is fun.

To be fair, Geralt does die to a couple hits on hard so it is similar to that in many ways. If it wasn't for the stupid fail controls, this game could be an awesome hack&slash game.

Might've meant he could detect spells being active or the sorceress charging up to cast something. But I dunno, don't remember that.
Probably so. It seems like I'm picking the dialog options nobody is picking. Ie. Fuck everyone, I'm the mother fucking white wolf. (Altho, Trish is a hottie, so I'm keeping her.)

I was tempted to pick the dialog where you supposedly joined the king slayers, or at least tried to, but then I was so annoyed by the stupidity of the prologue's cutscene I decided I wanted to kill that bastard with muscles bigger than his head.

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 01:05:43 pm »

So much passion!

I find the best way to handle games I don't like is to not play them. /shrug

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 05:07:17 pm »

And with a dead king you expect to be paid retirement anyway? Har har, I don't see your point.

I also bet you become a escape goat if you take the human route of the story.
Point is he was feeling RAEG at that point because someone killed his benefactor. And if he did run off, he'd some day have bounty hunters knocking on his door with 10 crossbowmen behind them. And I don't think he'd be up to the challenge when he's like 60 (enough ranged enemies can fuck you up even in gameplay logic).

I wouldn't know about the human route yet, though. I was hoping to get the patch before continuing.

Forgive my assholeness here, but my reaction was, and I quote "LOLWUT?!"

I beat him without losing a single HP. He was an easy fight and it wasn't even fair to him.
Fighting him in plain melee I occassionally received an unblockable aard to the face with little to no warning. Did you fight him only with things available to you in the prologue?

Uh-huh. Right. You keep thinking that. There is always inconsistency between cutscenes and gameplay unless there are no cutscenes or nothing happens in them.
With the way they are right now, I wish there were no cutscenes in games. Ever. But yes, I will keep thinking that and you keep thinking what you think. I apologize for the rudeness beforehand and you can report the post to Toady if you want, but it's a plain silly excuse to separate in game and cutscene logic/realism. It's dumb. It just doesn't work. It's inconsistent. It's pointless. If a game developer is going that route with his citscenes, please remove them. Entirely.

Right now, the mainstream gamers and developers keep prancing around about immersion, realism, good story, and dialog. But when it comes down to it, everything you were capable of doing in the gameplay doesn't fit what happens in the cutscenes. That's not immersion, that's not realism. Hell, that just fucks up any story you're trying to portray. Sure, the dialog may be fun, but most often than not they don't even fit the character. A lot of times you have heroes who are simply genocidal/homicidal fuckwads who have the nerve to say to someone that killing is wrong and trying to destroy the world is wrong. Shyeah right, like someone can say that with a straight face are killing well over 1000 intelligent creatures and humans.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong and I understand you think my opinion is wrong. If you want to discuss more and disagree with my opinion, you can necro my old thread over here, in fact; I want to necro it some time soon, due to certain new games that brought to light even more things I ended up hating about modern games.
Right. So you just hate cutscenes all together. Fair enough. Though I'd save that as a complaint for when there are no bigger problems considering how common this is.

To be honest? I would love that game.

Remember were we are? This is sparta the DF forum. Losing is fun.

To be fair, Geralt does die to a couple hits on hard so it is similar to that in many ways. If it wasn't for the stupid fail controls, this game could be an awesome hack&slash game.
I'm just explaining the source of these things. The story in the games is supposed to be a continuation of the books. They could hardly rewrite how he ended up where he did, don't you think?

Anyway, this sorta feels pointless. You can't accept the difference between gameplay and cutscene logic and that's fine. I can to a certain extent (as probably can most). Furthermore, I still look towards the books for explanations as to why Geralt acts the way he does since it's a continuation. You don't. Not gonna see eye to eye here.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 05:38:39 pm »

So, you really can't see how retarded it is to single handedly slaughter your way through an entire level without batting an eyelid only to get the snot kicked out of you in a fight where you should easily be able to win? (bulletstorm jumps to mind here, even though you win, what the hell man)
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13