Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?  (Read 35048 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Witcher 2: total rubbish?
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2011, 04:22:02 pm »

Spoiler: Early spoilers (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2011, 05:10:21 pm »

What exactly is a Witcher anyway?
A human who underwent alchemy-induced mutation at a young age in order to be able to use ability enhancing potions without dying of poisoning, and was taught swordsmanship and use of signs (simpler kind of magic), all for the purpose of hunting monsters too fast and powerful for normal humans.
In other words, a ratcatcher on steroids. Same basic job description, and similar social contempt.

Whiskey mcgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2011, 02:59:17 am »

Okay, so I've completed the game twice arleady. In my personal opinion it's one of the best games i've played in a while.
So, uh. That magical medallion actually only reacts to magic, not danger or threats. Nekkers, for instance, are magical creatures, thus making the medallion react. You would know this if you actually did listen to any of the conversations in the game. By the way, the journal also has all the tutorials you need to not suck.
And if you are having problems with targeting, just press the ALT button to lock on to a target, should help you considerably.
Oh and always play on hard, overusing Quen is the easy way but not really a fun one.
Actually, Aryan d.. .....

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2011, 11:54:47 am »

A few hours in, my feedback:

-Persuasion system is incredibly obtuse. Why do I have 4 different methods to convince people, why do they have levels and why are they completely random in their success/failure?
-Combat has 3 rules: Quen or DIE, lock or DIE and roll or DIE.
-No invulnerability frames during finishers. I go in cinematic mode, hack somebody's arms off, swipe his legs from out under him and somersault into the air, landing sword first on his head, only to be interrupted by the "game over" screen.
-No swing cancelling on the dodge. a good third of my deaths can be attributed to being stuck in the attacking animation when I should be moving away.
-Hitbox moves too slow when rolling. Another third of my deaths are from enemies hitting empty space behind me and still killing me.
-Inventory is in dire need of a complete overhaul.
-Shadows look broken, there are big floaty blobs of bright colors on my screen at random, AA simply doesn't work and there's a lot of very visible pop ins.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »

I think I'd like this game more if dodging actually dodged the enemy attacks.
Shoes...

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2011, 03:35:52 pm »

I think I'd like this game more if dodging actually dodged the enemy attacks.

Agreed....

The story is intriguing, but the combat is so clunky I am having a hard time getting through it. I don't mind challenges, but I don't like when I have to fight the game itself as a challenge. Controlling your character should feel natural - the difficulty should come from the AI/obstacles, not the challenge with making your character do what he SHOULD be able to do.

Still enjoying it. Waiting on patches though to finish it, see if it tunes it up a little...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2011, 04:51:53 pm »

Actually, I know what is going on with these complaints about the clunky combat.

I thought the combat was very clunky too. But then I played the game on a supercomputer with 60fps.

It's completely different, let me tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2011, 05:03:14 pm »

Nah man, I'm playing it on a computer that gets 60fps too.  He doesn't dodge far enough for most attacks to miss, and half the time he decides not to block.
Shoes...

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2011, 05:22:52 pm »

Actually, I know what is going on with these complaints about the clunky combat.

I thought the combat was very clunky too. But then I played the game on a supercomputer with 60fps.

It's completely different, let me tell you.

No, I'm getting 60 FPS with no hiccups. i7 and SLI GTX 460. I imagine playing on a machine that was struggling would be damn near impossible.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2011, 11:41:44 pm »

You know what the Witcher really does?

It makes me really excited for the completion of the Night Creatures arc.  One day you'll be able to do this shit in DF.

What's more, you'll be able to do it the right way.  The problem with games like the Witcher is that for all your planning, setting up, and all that, it's all make-believe, staged.  You're not really planning and preparing, you're just going through scripted hoops to fight a monster specifically made for you to kill.  Even if you die you can just reload.  You're just playing pretend.  Sometimes you can feel like you're really a monster hunter doing all these things, but whenever you look too closely you can see the rigging and stage-lights.  Behind the curtain are some Polish guys who set everything up.

Dorfs isn't like that though.  That monster was procedurally generated, and the RNG doesn't give a shit about whether you win or lose.  Things weren't planned around your encounter.  In a regular RPG, if you need a certain herb or whatever to kill the monster, you can rest assured it's somewhere in the immediate vicinity, probably in that cave you noticed but didn't go into.  In Dorfs though, you could spend weeks hunting that thing down.

What I'm getting at is that in Dorfs there won't be those Polish guys.  It'll be real.  You actually have to think and come up with a plan that wasn't already devised by the developers.  You don't get to reload if you mess up, so you better be good at what you're doing. 

Dagoth Ur, Geralt, Hercules, Kharn the Betrayer.  Those are, in order, the people I intend to play in Dwarf Fortress.  Geralt got onto the list because of this game. 
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2011, 06:42:04 am »

Well, I'm sort of starting to see Soulwynd's point. Most notably at the part where you
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I've finished the game with two variations of the Roche path now. Time to go the Scoiatel route.

And yeah, you can be sure as hell the sequel will take place some place other than the Northern kingdoms. Well, maybe Cintra wasn't affected, but I dunno. I don't think anyone cares about Cintra in the games. It gets mentioned like once. Chances are it'll all take place in Nilfgaard.

One more thing that bothers me is

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2011, 08:05:27 am »

In a game that centers around being prepared for fights, why the fuck do they not give you a chance to prepare

Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »

Yeah, I uninstalled it. Didn't even finish once before I was alienated by this game.

Overall, it was fun and it's a good game if you can put up with bad controls and nonsense cutscenes.

I obviously can't. :(

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2011, 04:31:15 pm »

In a game that centers around being prepared for fights, why the fuck do they not give you a chance to prepare

How I managed to take him down, with alchemy path and a sub-let of magic path
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »

As much as I like this game, I'm noticing the combat is rapidly turning into "The Witcher 2: Roly Poly of Kings"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13